Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
I do have to say that The slaping bit was Brilliant (at the 3rd Slap it became exelent). And the Final "Cake" Made the episode.

Ildecia

Nov 8, 2009
hey... wanna go get some cake?

the slapping bit was hilarious!

great review, best one in a while in my opinion

Orzene

Nov 28, 2008
Oh joy. Nintendo has finally hit the epitome of redundancy.

(And here I am looking for an MMO that isn't absolute BS.. but for the sake of this video, though I do not own the Wii console, let alone either of these games, I'll go ahead and run off to get drunk somewhere, and if I'm lucky, some shithead will deserve some broken glass in his eyes.)

stok3r

Dec 23, 2009
omg Yahtzee watches FMA! lol

eh, might play this. still havent got a wii tho dont care for the thing

Tmcmistress

Sep 19, 2008
Ravenlock80 said:
the idea that a product's similarity to previous products is enough to define its value is, for me, a hard sell.
Yes, exactly. Glad someone said it. The idea that a game needs to be entirely original to be good, or that originality alone is enough to make a game good, seems... nonsensical.

Take MadWorld, for example. There have been people who have complained that we don't see more games like it on the Wii because it didn't sell well, and I saw more than a few of those who said that the game should've sold on the basis of it being 'different'. Problem being, *every* single professional review I read on the game described it as mediocre at best, and I have no interest in playing a game just because swearing and blood are rare things on the Wii.

civver

May 15, 2009
"Shooper Mario Galackseeee" and the "1TSA M3" plate made me laugh. Yahtzee certainly is funniest when filled to the brim with vitriol.

Anyway, so it seems not much is different. That's a shame.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Another entertaining review, but I can't help but wonder... who decides what he reviews each week? With all of the games that come out, what made someone choose a freaking platformer? Does anyone beyond the tween crowd play those anymore? And frankly, ZP isn't exactly a tween-friendly review.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Sure. The game don't need be something new or original to be good. The problem is that all the mainstream industry thinks in this way. So, we have an obscene amount of games with numbers in their names. Sometimes, the sequences are so many that they are forced to stop using numbers.

I don't reject a good sequence, but let's be honest. Unless you're one of those religious fanatics nerdcore gamers, it decreases the will to play. You're going behind a new game but ends up taking something that feels like used.

Don't get me wrong. SMG2 it's a great game. I never went back to catch all the stars like I did in SMG1 but is platform at its best. In particular I confess that I more eager to play "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" than "Silent Hill 8".

Ps.: About the cake story, who is the Bowser Jr. mother?

Rob Lafferty

Feb 24, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rD5AskvHWc&feature=player_embedded

i think this works well with this video

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
Yes, I do, in fact, prefer my games to be pretty much the same from iteration to iteration.

That's why I'm excited for the new Donkey Kong, that's why I'm excited for the new Zelda, and that's why I'm excited for the new Portal, cause I know the past games they made were golden, so I know that if they don't fuck up the formula too much the new games will be golden, too.

If I wanted something new, well, that's what new franchises are for, and I tend to get pissed when I go out to try something new and discover that it's exactly like another game I've already played, only not as good. (that's why I'm almost completely ignoring shooters now, they're all Call of Duty/Halo/Gears of War clones and the repetition's really annoying me)

I guess I'm just the kind of guy who likes the familiar to remain familiar, keep what works working while adding on to it, and only really wants experiments to happen in either spin-offs or completely different games.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I bought SMG2, and guess what?

I love it.

EDIT EDIT:

Cake.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Peach as superego? I'm gonna say no.

Should have saved that reference for the next Zelda game.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Mangue Surfer said:
Ps.: About the cake story, who is the Bowser Jr. mother?
I suspect he produces asexually.

My problem with the whining about "we need NEW games not rehashes of mario!" rants that so many critiques make to be edgy is that really. How many times do NEW games pan out to being good? Easily anyone who quotes this will name off a few, but against the vast swath of new games that come out each year they pale in comparison.

I like Mario because I can play it anytime and know it'll be good. Like when I buy a NEW game and its total shit, I can fall back on the next Nintendo release instead of realizing that no corporation is ever going to allow quality to get made.

Look at SPORE, that was supposed to be a huge innovation, but what came of it was 5 demos and a shiny character editor that was entirely superficial.

More often than not Dwarf Fortress is better than anything that I've played in years anyways :/.

I have nothing against new games, but arguing that Mario hasn't improved with each version is as close to nearly lying with an opinion as one can get without destroying the fabric of space and time.

Wumpus

Jul 20, 2009
On of your funniest videos ever, hands down. Well done again Yahtzee, my hat off to you.

chibiev

Apr 3, 2009
I'm not a Mario fan and I sold my Wii to my father-in-law so he can bowl, but the video still made me laugh out loud.

ImpostorZim

Jan 7, 2009
SatansBestBuddy said:
Yes, I do, in fact, prefer my games to be pretty much the same from iteration to iteration.

That's why I'm excited for the new Donkey Kong, that's why I'm excited for the new Zelda, and that's why I'm excited for the new Portal, cause I know the past games they made were golden, so I know that if they don't fuck up the formula too much the new games will be golden, too.

If I wanted something new, well, that's what new franchises are for, and I tend to get pissed when I go out to try something new and discover that it's exactly like another game I've already played, only not as good. (that's why I'm almost completely ignoring shooters now, they're all Call of Duty/Halo/Gears of War clones and the repetition's really annoying me)

I guess I'm just the kind of guy who likes the familiar to remain familiar, keep what works working while adding on to it, and only really wants experiments to happen in either spin-offs or completely different games.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I bought SMG2, and guess what?

I love it.

EDIT EDIT:

Cake.
I must know where you got that...