Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Enlong said:
Wait, so if variety is the spice of [games], and repetition is the starch, then that means, as per a previous metaphor, it's not good to have an excessive amount of variety, as that's like eating spoonfuls of the spice straight from the jar.
Didn't Yahtzee use this line (or a variation of it) in his Far Cry 2 review?

Scrubbed account

Jul 12, 2010
Towowo2 said:
Roflcopter419 said:
That was amusing, but it bugs me that everyone here seems to comment on how much they hate Mario just because he does.
I just assumed people did it because it was the cool thing to do nowadays.
Nintendo is good at two things, Making oodles of money and making games that are fun to play. Mario is timeless.
It seems like the cool thing to do to hate whatever Yahtzee hates around the Escapist. That really bugs me, especially against things like Mario.

Ryank1908

Oct 18, 2009
Very true. Liked this a lot more than recent Yahtzee videos.

... but WHY, Yahtzee! Why did you have to get a David Bowie lyric wrong =[

JasonFVM

Jun 7, 2010
"Starship Narcissus". Nice observation. Must admit that I never took Mario to be an ego-maniac.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
He sounded genuinely angry this time and he had every right to be, I played this game and found myself seriously getting upset with the retard friendly game play, I mean people tell me I shouldn't complain because even kids need to play games but COME ON PEOPLE!

I played Mario for the NES and Super Nintendo for hours on end as a child and I go back to them today and I can still say, they were challenging, well paced, and FUN.

I'm not lying when I say that at one point I got the cloud power up and laughed at the screen at how I didn't even need it, I proceeded to cartwheel jump and wall kick than spin move past chunks of the levels. This isn't skill, IT IS POOR LEVEL DESIGN. Dear lord I might have an stroke just thinking about it; at least than the game would be more along my skill level.

/end Yahtzee like rant.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
J-Alfred said:
Enlong said:
Wait, so if variety is the spice of [games], and repetition is the starch, then that means, as per a previous metaphor, it's not good to have an excessive amount of variety, as that's like eating spoonfuls of the spice straight from the jar.
Didn't Yahtzee use this line (or a variation of it) in his Far Cry 2 review?
Actually it was the Little Big Planet review. He referred to usermade content as cinnamon; a light dusting of the stuff can make an already great game even better, but relying on it is like eating the stuff straight from the jar.

So when did the spice/starch thing, I decided to see what would happen when I mixed the metaphors.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Armanox15 said:
I have to say 2 things:
#1 - So... The "cake" is a lie. hmmmm
#2 - I really want some "cake" on my next birthday!
In this case 'cake' isn't a lie, it's a euphemism

Kage Me

Jul 10, 2008
Ossian said:
He sounded genuinely angry this time and he had every right to be, I played this game and found myself seriously getting upset with the retard friendly game play, I mean people tell me I shouldn't complain because even kids need to play games but COME ON PEOPLE!

I played Mario for the NES and Super Nintendo for hours on end as a child and I go back to them today and I can still say, they were challenging, well paced, and FUN.

I'm not lying when I say that at one point I got the cloud power up and laughed at the screen at how I didn't even need it, I proceeded to cartwheel jump and wall kick than spin move past chunks of the levels. This isn't skill, IT IS POOR LEVEL DESIGN. Dear lord I might have an stroke just thinking about it; at least than the game would be more along my skill level.

/end Yahtzee like rant.
I figured that cloud example was intentional. Y'know, for speed runners and the like.

In honesty, I do find SMG2 disappointing, but not because of a lack of challenge or gameplay issues. My first thought was that this just feels like an expansion pack (kinda funny seeing Yahtzee say the same thing), and I expect a little more innovation from Nintendo.

DeAvatar

Mar 27, 2009
mmmmmm, "Cake" with the opposite sex. but wait! IDEA! Why not Skydive WHILE having "Cake" with the opposite sex? (or if you swing that way, have "Cake" with the same sex.) I mean, if astronauts can have cake while in space, why not skydivers?

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
It was all right. The only part that made me laugh was when he was smacking himself in the face. I wish we'd be able to see that...
I liked the "variety is the spice of life and status quo is the starch" bit at the end.

Erick.S

Jun 4, 2010
Yahtzee's reviews make the world just a bit more bearable.
Thanks to him I get to know that the games I grew tired of fifteen years ago remained just as annoying and unimaginative today, which a valuable service for a jaded bugger like myself.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I nearly died laughing from watching all the "sniffff" sections whenever he referenced sex. Why going "sniffff" is funny when you think about it from a sexual standpoint, I'll never know.

That being said, is there anyone in the universe who thought "Galaxy 2" was a good idea? Frankly, I wasn't even sold on "Galaxy 1" when it came out. (Maybe I grew out of my Nintendo phase and didn't want to deal with another Mario game despite liking and playing Sunshine a lot.) I played a demo of this at Gamestop one day and kept making fun of how it's the exact same game as "Galaxy 1" and kept waiting for the star guys to say "It's happening again!" Granted, Bowser is about 50 times huger than he was in Galaxy 1 but that's it. (I'm not really liked by the Gamestop guys after that, but I got them off my back by pre-ordering Cataclysm.)

So really Nintendo, yes we're all excited about Zelda Skyward Sword and Goldeneye and Kid Icarus and Metriod other M... But this is bad. Really bad.