Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Flaming-Gerbil

Mar 19, 2008
I agree pretty much entirely with this review, SSMB is an overhyped fanboy pile of wank. My opinion is slightly skewed due to my hatred for Nintendo and all it stands for, aka bringing out the same fucking games every fucking year with marginally improved graphics and some gimmicky new addition which no-one honestly gives a shit about.

Not all fighting games are complete button mashers however, Soul Calibur does have a much more significant degree of strategy in it then most, although it is still possible to win by mashing your face into the pad it's much more difficult then most.

Oh and to the nintendo fanbois: Cry Moar.

beekay

Jan 26, 2008
To be honest I much prefer button-mashers to those "press this sequence of buttons five times over while flipping the controller and making toast to perform an aerial kick" games.

BladePHF

Mar 24, 2008
beekay said:
To be honest I much prefer button-mashers to those "press this sequence of buttons five times over while flipping the controller and making toast to perform an aerial kick" games.
Pretty much what I feel. I'm not saying that button-mashers are a great type of game, just that they are much easier to pick up then the sequence games. A new player in it just for the fun in the first type will probably HAVE fun right away, and might actually stand a chance (though, I would like to point out, even button-mashing in SSBM I lost consistanty against my cousin, who is a veteran of the series), whilst in a sequence game he stands virtually no chance against even somebody who's experience is a few hours worth.

Meh, my two cents.

Feb 13, 2008
Yahtzee, if you ever deign to read this; understand that people deliberately pause the video to read the small text.

Putting in something like "Send me your knickers girls" will be acted upon. Many times. Many Scary times.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Evilducks said:
Mursam said:
Does nobody find it strange that 6 months after Yahtzee bags out Halo 3 only 389 comments were posted, yet within 12 HOURS of Yahtzee bagging out Brawl, the comment count has reached 488?
Never doubt the power of fanboys and haters. Its a perfect storm.
No, this is just plain... strange. Halo 3 has the entertainment record for the most copies sold on the first day.

On the other hand, Brawl is most likely gonna get the record for the game with the highest attach rate to a console (excluding bundles of course). Also, most Halo fanboys are banned (not to say fans aren't welcome, they just have to be sensible, like everyone else).

- A procrastinator

Edit: Root, I don't think Yahtzee, or anyone for that matter, wants the panties of rabid internet fangirls...

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
I just think its a testament to the advertising campaign of nintendo that there are this many conflicting opinions and discussions over one of their games, its actually being fueled by hate, the only other things i know that do that are the multiple trolling alts i make on numerous gaming forums (none on escapist, surprisingly enough, the mods are quicker on the daw than Eastwood himself) and violence in games.

and thats my thoughts... also it ups this truly titanic post count

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Bryy said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Mursam said:
Does nobody find it strange that 6 months after Yahtzee bags out Halo 3 only 389 comments were posted, yet within 12 HOURS of Yahtzee bagging out Brawl, the comment count has reached 488?
Imagine when he reviews MGS4: GotP.
That will be a day of reckoning.
I'm guessing the site will just crash.
No, I think that Nintendious Fanboious is far more protective and rabid compared to its Sony breed, Sonius Fanboious. Though, the the Sonius might be in larger numbers, or be louder. Much louder.

- A procrastinator

Edit: Sorry 'bout the double post.

Emperor_Z

Sep 24, 2007
stompy said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Bryy said:
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Mursam said:
Imagine when he reviews MGS4: GotP.
That will be a day of reckoning.
I'm guessing the site will just crash.
No, I think that Nintendious Fanboious is far more protective and rabid compared to its Sony breed, Sonius Fanboious. Though, the the Sonius might be in larger numbers, or be louder. Much louder.

- A procrastinator

Edit: Sorry 'bout the double post.
Metal Gear Solid actually isn't as popular as SSB. I also don't think he'll need to be forced to review it, and there won't be so much controversy over it, because he'll probably make a good ol' funny review instead of a rant.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
There aren't this many posts on the other nintendo games reviewed. I think it's more that this review wasn't that great; Wasn't that funny, and wasn't that review-ish. Not to mention the slew of anti-nintendo fanboys... there goes the bandwagon.

I hate to say it, but Yahtzee kind of sounded like a fanboy himself...

edit: no he didn't

RaiDK

Apr 24, 2008
Well I gotta say, I agree with his point about unlockable content, with the new TF2 update featuring nigh-impossible achievements the average casual player is never going to be able to get.

Also, everyone head to the smash bros brawl wiki page and fight for a mention of this review to stay on the page :p

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
nightfish said:
Simon_TR said:
I hate to say it, but Yahtzee kind of sounded like a fanboy himself...
how can he be a fan-boy if he pans the game? now 'the orange box'....
Sorry, I'll clarify. It sounded like something an xbox or playstation fanboy would have said. It was more of a rant against nintendo and its fanboys than a review.

edit: I take it back!

GokoWildheart

Apr 24, 2008
Like every other review Yahtzee has got it right on the head. I do love beat'em up's and i love the skill based one's like the old street fighter alpha series or VF were you need skill to win and not just another button masha like soul cablier , dead or alive , or SSBB .

Thank you Yahtzee for once again driving nail A into Slot A were it should be and not into Slot B cause a fanboy told you to do it XD

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
This was pretty much an average ZP imo. There've been worse, there've been better.

Comments after reading this gigantic clusterfuck of a thread..

A)People bashing Nintendo for "milking the same franchises" with Brawl. It's the third game in the series. That practically means it's a new and interesting franchise. GTA, including spinoffs, sits at what now? Halo is at four counting Halo Wars? It's interesting how it's acceptable when someone else does it, but it's bash-worthy when it's a Nintendo franchise. Also, as has been said, without milking we would've never gotten Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time.

B) Jigglypuff is an awesome character. Yes, really. People who make tier lists are odd people. I play Jigglypuff and Peach and I kick the snot out of my "that guy" friends who go by tier lists and limit themselves exclusively to one "top-tier" character. I also play random quite often and I can still beat my "I play only Toon Tink and perhaps Meta Knight" friend about 50% of the time.

C) Peach's Final Smash is an instakill to anyone who are outside of the stage when you perform it and it's a guaranteed kill on anyone who has a high % when you perform it since you can just walk up to'em and forward smash them to oblivion.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Where was the review? There was a comment over the camera and the particle effects but that was it. Rants are fine, but when you've heard the same rant before from someone else it becomes rather boring. We get it. The game isn't the kind of game you enjoy.

Actually there were a few rants in there, all of which we've all heard before.

1. Nintendo uses it's franchise popularity to push games.

2. Fighting games are lame.

3. Unlockable content sucks.

In regards to #3, that one is simply lazy. All it takes is one run through the single player game to unlock all but some 3 characters with only one of those characters actually being unique. You can go through that single player game in a few hours by yourself without a hitch nor does playing through that make you any better at the game to begin with.

Another thing that put me off about the review is the sheer "What?" factor of the whole "You turn into one of those guys" comment. One of those guys? What, you mean the guy who will, most obviously, play the game more because he owns it? Yeah, what a shame being that guy is. Of course, this is completely forgetting the handicap features, different fight modes, and non-seriousness of the actual gameplay.

But this seems to be a trend with Yahtzee reviews. If a game is an absolutely serious FPS action/adventure game (Bioshock, Beginning of Condemned 2, some others) then he can't get into it or really enjoy it. Despite his distaste for people who love games like Halo, he's one of them... and it's a shame.

Of course, this opinion stems from his reviews.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
I'm not saying Yahtzee's a fanboy, just that he ranted like one. But you're right, it is a stretch from the true meaning.

edit: Not going to dig myself deeper into the hole, I'll retract the fanboy remarks, lol. I stand by this being more of rant than review though.

Prodovski

Apr 9, 2008
I'm sorry, so so sorry, but do people remember anymore about the principles of a balanced debate? Fanbois lover/hater emotional logic aside, whose comments will be remembered as the most factual and accurate summary of the current events when all the excited passion has drained from the game?
I do believe that will be YAHTZEE for presenting an unbiased, unemotional and ingenuous review of what many thought was a game designed to be "preaching to the converted". Close and in 2nd place is Indigo_Dingo, who presents arguments backed up by FACTS not emotional plea's. Well done to most replies, perhaps others could read the basics at http://onlinelearn.edschool.virginia.edu/debate/thenine.html before posting. Please. Please read.
Now let's all say THIS IS SPAAAARTA!! sorry (deep voice) GAMETRADERS ROBINA !!

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
Mazty said:
Great review as always, probably one of the best. Its good to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Nintendo are going to shoot themselves in the foot by re-releasing the same games time and time again with virtually no difference apart from a gimmicky pad.
Like Halo? Or Grand Theft Auto? Or Gran Tourismo? Or Medal of Honor? Or Call of Duty?

And to the above poster.. sorry. Yahtzee's review this week is anything but unbiased. He even said at the start that he went into it with a negative disposition.