Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
Eye Spider said:
^^ Agree with Ishinken.

Ok but seriously now, I haven't ever actually played the game, is it any good? I loved Tekken3 so base your response on that if you need a frame of reference. This isn't a troll it's a legit question.
If you have to ask, you probably won't like it.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Sure GTA is coming soon, but I want him to review something no one cares about, like the Iron Man game, that is coming on like, every platform conceivable.

Maybe he should review the DS version.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
corronchilejano said:
Allright, cut RIGHT here... I shall make an experiment. I shall document how many posts have been made by people and rank them on a 5 step scale going from love to hate to posts on this topic:
1.Love: SSBB for teh win! IT AINT NO BUTTON MUSHA
2.Support: SSSB is a good game, he well, doenst like fighting games, i get it.
3.Neutral: Dunno, havent played the game/dont really care, I know its just comedy.
4.Nasty: The game IS a bit overrated.
5.Hate: LOLZORZ TAKE THAT SMASH BROTHAS!!!

Just to compare, I will ALSO do the same for the Halo 3 review, cut at comment number 390 on THAT one. For this effort, I shall only count the FIRST post made by any one person. This'll obviously take some time.

PS: This study is meant to be done for a project my girlfriend is making for one of her psycology classes. Please be patient, It'll take some time, and I WILL post the results since I think it's:

a. Something interesting.
b. Whatever mod looks at it will probably lock this topic down already, and I think it has been enough.

If b happens, I'll post the results on another thread. Excuse me if the way I've worded this isn't the most professional, but I don't really think anyone is making a major out of a forum.
No offense, but I'm surprised at the girlfriend part. And pleased. It means there may be hope for the rest of us.

Windows David

Mar 26, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Sure GTA is coming soon, but I want him to review something no one cares about, like the Iron Man game, that is coming on like, every platform conceivable.

Maybe he should review the DS version.
or review Earth bound because he always says he likes it

Dizzy Katana

Apr 28, 2008
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Hold up.
Ok, i think Yahtzee makes perfectly valid points here. I also think it's fair enough if you don't like the game that much.
Personally? I cant get enough of it. It's one of the most unique fighters I've played, seeing as most are one-on-one kung-fu shitstorms.

But i must say this: some of you guys seem to only agree with Yahtzee blindly. I mean, it's like if he turned around and said "Oh, GTA4 is a pile of crap," you guys would jump behind him and support his every word with a knife or baseball bat (whichever your preferance).

Fair enough, you might not like the game. But try it first: and form your own bloody opinion.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Dizzy's got it right. Eloquently stated. (audience claps).

Some people (you know who you are) should heed this advice.

assassin18

Apr 28, 2008
I know no one cares, but I enjoyed SSBB. In fact, its one of the best games to play with casual gamers. I understand that the fighting is not refined or that tactical, but come on Mario vs. Sonic. Anyway, unlike most of the zero punctuation I found this more of an angry rant than a genuine criticism. I am not a fan boy because I like this game, I have a xbox 360 and wii (no ps3 yet). I like yahtzee, I just don't like being associated with raving Nintendo fanboys.

Graffiti Writer

Aug 15, 2006
Who's this Mario guy? And what about Bros? Is that the crap pop group it's talking about? I'd love to beat them up. Or do you have to unlock them? That'd suck, having to play through Wham and Culture Club and Fun Boy Three just to wail on Matt and Luke.
Maybe I'll leave it for now, or wait until I can download a pirate version.

rockchild17

Jan 28, 2008
good review. he was harsh, big deal. the benefit of him being harsh is that he didn't have to go through the process of applauding the game, he was able to focus on the flaws in it. i loved the game, but that whole subspace emisarry was b***h if you just wanted to unlock the characters. it is a bit unfair to pin fighting games as a whole as button mashers though (hey yahtzee, try beating a level 9, or three) but once again that's his opinion, not mine, and it was funny.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
How about we just all spam fail/thread sucks/lolcats?That way we'll force the mods to lock it.

hmp22

Apr 27, 2008
Pretty good review, though I use the term loosely since it ended up turning into more of a rant about Nintendo.

For the record, though, proposing that one could button-mash their way through any of the Smash Bros. games and actually win matches against people who know what they're doing shows a staggering lack of comprehension of the nature of the games. I guarantee that any one of you calling SSBB (or SSB, or SSBM) a button-masher would lose to me ninety-nine times out of a hundred. That's all there is to it. If you disagree, you are wrong.

But then again, Zero Punctuation is always a laugh-a-minute, and that's mostly because of the incredibly subjective criteria under which games are critiqued.

Lzdarkangel

Apr 16, 2008
Dizzy Katana said:
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Hold up.
Ok, i think Yahtzee makes perfectly valid points here. I also think it's fair enough if you don't like the game that much.
Personally? I cant get enough of it. It's one of the most unique fighters I've played, seeing as most are one-on-one kung-fu shitstorms.

But i must say this: some of you guys seem to only agree with Yahtzee blindly. I mean, it's like if he turned around and said "Oh, GTA4 is a pile of crap," you guys would jump behind him and support his every word with a knife or baseball bat (whichever your preferance).

Fair enough, you might not like the game. But try it first: and form your own bloody opinion.
dizzy katana your right on the money to what i was tryin to say earlier.
i dont put gramma because a) i dont give a s*** and b) i come from deaf parents and gramma is excluded from sign language and c) i suck at written english
and the other point was even if you dont lke other people may and thats there opinion they may even fall in love with that particular game which is why you get fanboys
its like if i said yahtzee sucks you'd all tear me limb from limb in defence of him not that he needs it i'm sure he could spit out far worse bile at me than any of you lot anyway what i'm sayin is most of you have become sheep some are showing there own initiative and thought and to all those few i would buy you a beer if i knew you or had money and to all those who genuinely thought that review was awesome or good watch some earlier reviews of his then tell me what you think and everyone is dissin fan boys loyalty and love is somethin to be congratulated but when its about games its a bit sad as is me posting as is anyones but hey we still all do it

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I don't know why it took me so long to realize this but why is it that all other "gamers" in his videos are either:

Him
His "friends"

and Fat Nerds? Surely the "Fat Nerd" stereotype is pretty much destroyed with some exceptions of people who have been gaming all their lives.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
no, whenever I play a "that guy," he's usually a fatty too. And I was going to say something objectionable about the grammar two posts earlier, but, quite frankly, I enjoyed reading that too much to complain.

Lzdarkangel

Apr 16, 2008
u do mean mine dont you if so thank you if not then i dont know and i my earlier post the one on this page i meant to say even if you dont like a game.

Lzdarkangel

Apr 16, 2008
anyway lets all chill out and enjoy which ever game we/i/you like on which ever format you like it on and shoot beat slash jump race smash our/your/my way through it