Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Crushed said:
Uszi said:
I find it VERY interesting that Yahtzee called from the get-go that there would be accusations that it would be said of him, "He is not a real reviewer."
(looks through thread)

Nobody has accused him of not being a real reviewer.
One more review like that and I just might >_>

corronchilejano

Nov 14, 2007
Well, reviewing is basically talking about something and maybe even giving it a numericla qualification, so in that sense it IS a review. It did feel a bit more like a rant since not many gameplay elements where talked about. As I understand, Yahtzee was drunk with some other guys from Australian Gamer when they played this game. I think he expected something along the lines of Mario Party?

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
the_importer said:
OK, so if I say that Halo, GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Mass Effect suck because I don't like these genres, then my opinion is a valid one >_> ?
Indigo_Dingo said:
No, but if you are automatically biased against said genre then you are not the sort of person who should be reviewing the game, as any review you make will be biased by this.
A biased review is still a review. Yahtzee clearly states his bias and If you don't share said bias then you shouldn't take his opinions seriously.

I like SSBB and I don't care that he dislikes it. I only didn't enjoy this one because it was more of a rant than a review, and I didn't find it as funny as the rest.

Crushed

Nov 22, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Crushed said:
Congratulations, you have more than half of the hidden characters unlocked in less than three hours of gameplay.
And have crippling RSI and eyestrain as well I think...
From three hours of playing a game?

Jeeze, might as well hand in your gamer badge if you can't handle THAT.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Simon_TR said:
A biased review is still a review. Yahtzee clearly states his bias and If you don't share said bias then you shouldn't take his opinions seriously.

I like SSBB but I don't care that he dislikes it. I only didn't enjoy this one because it was more of a rant than a review, and I didn't find it as funny as the rest.
From Wiki:

"Consumer review refers to a review written by the owner of a product or the user of a service who has sufficient experience to comment on reliability and whether or not the product or service delivers on its promises.

Expert review usually refers to a review written by someone who has tested several peer products or services to identify which offers the best value for money or the best set of features."

Which ever category Yahtzee falls in, the same principal applies, you need to have experience and knowledge about the things you review. He doesn't know shit about fighting games nor does he like them. Again, this is not about SSBB, it's about the fighting genre in general, I would be posting the same thing if this was a review on VF5 or even a fighting game I don't like such as Soul Calibur.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
I haven't seen a thread like this since Charlie Brooker told the world exactly what he thought of Macs.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Barciad said:
I haven't seen a thread like this since Charlie Brooker told the world exactly what he thought of Macs.
So all of the 700 Mac users in the world posted :p

J/K, I got nothing against Mac.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
the_importer said:
Barciad said:
So all of the 700 Mac users in the world posted :p

J/K, I got nothing against Mac.
Actually, it was all 857 of them, but close enough.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2006031,00.html
Have a read for yourself. Interestingly enough, I was recommended Yahtzee on the notion that he was very similar to Brooker.

ianfox1992

Apr 24, 2008
Mindless hate is the same as mindless love. I enjoy watching these videos because they understand this and any good or bad comment about a game is well thought out and backed up. I was dissapointed when i saw this video not because of the cracks at fanboys or the negative review (i've come to expect that) but because too much of the review seemed like it was just Yahtzee being pissed off that he had to review this game instead of reviewing something he really wanted to review and the result was quite a bit of mindless hate. The review just seemed like a long post on one of these threads, either blind love or blind rage. That being said i still nearly pissed myself laughing and i will not stop watching anytime soon.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
Barciad said:
Actually, it was all 857 of them, but close enough.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2006031,00.html
Have a read for yourself. Interestingly enough, I was recommended Yahtzee on the notion that he was very similar to Brooker.
Worst part is that this article tells the truth about most Mac users I know. Mac users are so defensive and always think that PC users are going to insult them, so they immediately start insulting PCs as soon as they meet you and know that you don't use a Mac.

Seriously, I went to a store to buy a 802.11n adaptor last month and asked about some of the latest PCI-E video cards and the guy automatically said "I'm not too much of an expert on that anymore, I'm using a better computer now, a Mac". All I asked was for him to show me the latest PCI-E cards, I didn't start any Mac Vs PC debates >_>

I think Maddox summed it up quite well last year: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

The Daymonster

Apr 24, 2008
I wish I would have seen this review before I purchased it. I believed all the hype and haven't touched it after the first 5 minutes.

the_importer

Apr 23, 2008
The Daymonster said:
I wish I would have seen this review before I purchased it. I believed all the hype and haven't touched it after the first 5 minutes.
Like any games, if you haven't played the prequels or if you're not into the genre, it's best to rent it first or try it at a friend's house.

corronchilejano

Nov 14, 2007
He's actually pretty significant in Japan, that's why he was included, as was Lucas, with a big "screw you west" cherry on top.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
17 pages on the second day? You people need to f@#king get a grip. Seriously, this video does NOT require this much conversation.

gasto

Apr 16, 2008
SSB is a game an indie game developer could make easily but with copyrights infrigment.