Zero Punctuation: Turok

LegsyWegsy

Jan 31, 2008
i hope when No More Heroes comes out for you you review it and the shittiness of the censoring if your not covered with the stars and stripes

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Xenon Pretzel said:
To those people who DON'T agree with EVERY SINGLE POINT in this review, play Quake 3.

I don't care how old it is or how rubbish the graphics are or how annoying Sarge's taunt is, play it and you will be playing one of the best first person shooters with online multiplayer in the WORLD.

EDIT:
Godot said:
there is no such thing as Girl Gamers.
Be glad you do not know my sister.

- XP
I have Q3 is ok but UT99 is better UT03 is about as good as Q3 and UT04 is alot better than it.

Nothing beats unreals bot AI.

Deatre said:
ctrees said:
But wait... Gordon Freeman wore powered armor...

*GASP*
Yeah, but that wasn't the size of four brick shithouses stacked together. Harr.

Arcticflame said:
Britney Spears is also popular.

Game, set and match.
I see your Britney Spears and raise you a Paris Hilton. (I suppose it's popular... or maybe love to hate?)

infinitysend said:
Metroid Prime was made by Retro Studios, which was formed by former members of Iguana Entertainment, which in turn created the Turok games on the Nintendo64. So we have come full circle now, haven't we?
Then again, wasn't that Turok actually good? (Compared to the multiple crappy sequals)
Turok was ok but the series shined the most with Turok 2 head shots FTW!
T2 was just an awesome Turok game, 3 has a ton of issues but is still pretty cool, evo has even more issues and lesser designs which makes it about as bad as the new one.

ZomBuster

Mar 20, 2008
Hi all :D

I really enjoyed the old N64 Turok, but the new one looks indeed like the perfect example of a generic FPS.

Xenon Pretzel

Mar 20, 2008
Alright, Q3 is one of the best FPS's in the world that I have played..

Also, it has hundreds of mods, but that's another matter altogether.

-XP

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Xenon Pretzel said:
Alright, Q3 is one of the best FPS's in the world that I have played..

Also, it has hundreds of mods, but that's another matter altogether.

-XP
best? its a generic MP shooter that has above average map designs, Q2 is 5X better,even UT03 with its nerfy weapons has as good level layouts and better weapons.... and O4 perfects the direct 03 started stillnto as mindlessly fun as UT99 but its still loads better than Q3...4 and Doom 3....

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
"Turok" has "generic FPS" written all over it to the extent that it's almost a parody. Except without being in the least entertaining...

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
It's not illegal to review content if it is sent directly from the developer or publisher to the reviewer. That is why you see 'inside' stories in magazines and such.

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I suggest you go to the Australian embassy of whatever country you are from, find out where John Winston Howard is now, fly down here, and give him a wedgie.
He lost his seat, remember?

He's nothing now.

*Dances*

martianman

Feb 14, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Awesome choice of songs. Also, I agree 300% about health meters.
i agree 4%,as if im hit one more time with a fps without health meters,and instead a "wuss timer"i will go to 0% and die.seriously.bring them back!

Badmagic

Nov 2, 2007
I wish people in the industry at the moment would watch this episode in particular and be forced to pay attention, agreed with everything said with a wry smile on my face due to the style intrinsic to the author.

I would say my current pet peeve has to go to the grenades splash damage issue or the lack of as the case may be, it's farcical in any fps I played from recent memory, they are little more than an annoyance like roving midges in the height of summer.

I have to say I played HALO 1 on the PC when it came out and enjoyed it for what it was but I couldn't care less about #2 & #3 and the dumbing down of all types of game is slowly driving me insane.

I have heard people say that they aren't dumbing down games; my response would be yes they are, unless I'm gaining new intelligence and insight which I know is not physically possible at my current age and has not been for many years.

From what I have seen the author has no great affection for many RPG's but that's one of the areas that's getting affected the worst from my perspective, any developer that's producing them seems intent on trying to capture the fps market by castrating what should be rpg's and slapping on some fps game play elements.

So far in my personal option all these games managed to do was produce an experience with not enough fps to satisfy those customers they wanted to get the attention of and severely limit the rpg elements to alienate those customers too.

Argh, it's starting to grate again, I better stop now before I start ranting.

ClassicThunder

Dec 28, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
The lines were drawn in the Psychonauts review, between the games-r-art hippies (I like to consider myself as being in this category, as I once read through the plot and issue analysis of Killer 7), and the people who went to see Sweeney Todd and claimed the singing ruined it. People who want a deep storyline, cunning enemy AI, realistic physics, etc. vs. people who, well, like Halo
Halo has a very deep storyline even if your like me and won't read any of the half dozen books that accompany it. Halo has character development and many twists and turns. The biggest problem with the game was the shitty AI making everything boring. COD 4 has everything you mention. BioShock has everything you mention. Gears of War has it too. There are many awesome FPS games that have come out and I applaud designers and encourage them to keep up the excellent work.

Maybe my mouth foaming life style doesn't allow me to sit at home and try out all of the second rate games that you seem to go out of your way to find. Maybe I sit down and try to have fun the spare 2 or 3 hours I sometimes have instead of bitching about every game that isn't completely original.

I'm having fun. I'm about to have more too. Kane's Wrath is coming out soon along with Red Alert 3 and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 looks like fun. Sometime in the spring the new Splinter Cell is coming out soon. Now there is an epic game series that has never disappointed me. Oh yeah Gears of War 2 is coming soon too!

Sorry to rant but I'm looking froward to the future. Just need to keep working hard so I'll have enough money for all of these great titles. So yeah I'll hang with my buds and we'll twitch and foam on our controllers, while you diss the gaming industry. At least I'm having the time of my life.

Peace

twilight_dweller

Sep 22, 2007
Call me ignorant, but why are we talking about Halo 3 in a Turok based thread? Whatever.

In any case, I just played Turok on my friend's 360. And all the issues Yahtzee talked about were there. And it really screamed "Generic!"

ClassicThunder

Dec 28, 2007
Read the title. Yahtzee mentions all FPS and claims that the problems with Turok are widespread. Many people were claiming that all of the issues were becoming common and ruining FPSs. I was arguing that they are a new industry standard and that FPSs are getting better and better.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
ClassicThunder said:
Halo has a very deep storyline even if your like me and won't read any of the half dozen books that accompany it.
No offense, but it really don't have a very deep plot. It might be if you factored in the books (which I have not read), but those aren't actually part of the games, now are they?

You don't even need to have a deep plot for it to be good: look at Half-Life. The Half-Life series has never had a detailed and intricate plot, but what really makes the Half-Life series stand out from not only FPS, but many games in general, is the direction, dialog, and atmosphere.