Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
That was quite a forced bashing, and felt like it too. Yeah, it's a pop corn game in the same sense that Aliens is a pop corn action movie, but they are both classics in their own field. This game is the most fun ride I've had with an action game since...well, I can't even remember, and it does deserve all the praise it's getting in my opinion.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Funny but a bit predictable in places. Being told the game borrows from Tomb Raider and has lots of ledges, since of which aren't really ledges but look like it, is a bit redundant. So also is pointing out that a game that borrows from Gears of War has messed up the cover system. It is interesting he points out Dragon Age as being "something that matters." Granted, I liked the game too.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Pretty spot on in my opinion. Not a bad game, but definitely not groundbreaking in any way and easily forgettable. I especially 2nd his comment about laughing when you die NOT enhancing the game in a positive way!

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
first!!!! lol jk. i think he is going to review dragon age next. i can only hope anyway.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Carnagath said:
That was quite a forced bashing, and felt like it too. Yeah, it's a pop corn game in the same sense that Aliens is a pop corn action movie, but they are both classics in their own field. This game is the most fun ride I've had with an action game since...well, I can't even remember, and it does deserve all the praise it's getting in my opinion.
Aliens is a popcorn movie? I'm not saying it's a modern Citizen Kane, but I think it's not fair to compare the two because Aliens gave us stuff that we hadn't really seen much before (don't forget Alien/Aliens came out in 1979/1986.) U2 is basically Tomb Raider combined with Gears of War, just with more annoying ledge recognition and less refined combat mechanics.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
While I was going to comment on the fact that, in affiliating yourself with the folks looking down their noses at Yahtzee's fans, you are still joining a 'like-minded' crowd, albeit a smaller one... I think I'll let it go.

I knew this was going to be a hit when I saw the still with Hasselhoff's mug on the U2 box.

nanaholic

Nov 11, 2009
I thought Yazhee is sport on, as was his view of the original Uncharted.

He's not saying the game is bad as in "a complete waste of time", he's just saying that the game is uninspiring, lacks imagination and is too safe, as with the first one. I've played the first Uncharted when my friend lend it to me and felt exactly the same as Yazhee did towards it. It's pretty, it's kind of entertaining and wasn't a waste of the 12 hours or so of play time, but it also doesn't leave me any memoriable moments. The popcorn movie comparison is spot on, you pop it in and let it entertain you for the duration and then within 5 minutes of leaving the cinema/turning off your TV you've already forgotten what the movie was about. Same thing for Uncharted, there were nothing in it that would make you go "wow I've never seen THAT done before!", either in a good or a bad way, nothing in it sways an inch of tried cliches from entertainment medium. And if 2 is just more of the same with some "pretties", then I don't see how it would swing Yazhee's opinion of the franchise at all even if all the other sites are praising it to be "game of the year" material.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
le gasp! no stupid after video advertisement of ENN or whatever stupid shit they have now? finally i can just watch the video see the end and move on without having to hear that tired gerenic news intro.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Dirty Apple said:
pimppeter2 said:
I still liked the game much. I think it will be GOTY. If only Dragon Age hadn't shitted itself a little with its graphics, because then it would win.

(For the record, I personally do not care about Graphics but I'm just saying what I believe will be the excuse they do not give DA:O the GOTY)

Anyway, I think this is the first time I've been on the front page on a ZP review

Huzzah for me
The aforementioned self-shitting graphics are apparently a symptom of consol-itis. Perhaps a healthy dose of mousekeyboardilin could help this problem? I'm not a doctor, but I have played one in videogames
Haha. I actually will get it for my PC when I eventually get around to picking it up. But I'm just saying what will be the invisible pidgin holding committees excuse for not giving it game of the year

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Does a game being unoriginal mean we shouldn't like it. Yes the game is safe as it steals virtually all of its mechanics from games that were proven to be successful but I don't think it should really be condemned for that. Everything is a blatant rip off of something else and I think Uncharted 2 at least stands out in its execution of the other games it blatantly rips off.

And I thought melee combat as a whole was a massive improvement over the first game despite the fact that yes Drake is reluctant to get his ass out from behind the wall.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
ziggybogidou said:
So DA: origins next week?
or borderlands?
Maybe *gasp* MW2?

I doubt it, good isn't funny.
I doubt MW2, he only reviewed the first MW due to overwhelming emails asking him to do it.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
You had me at "Retarded-Gibbon-Arm-Flailing-Jumping technique", Yahtzee, you had me at "Retarded-Gibbon-Arm-Flailing-Jumping technique"... *weeps*

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
Meh, while this might be my love of the Uncharted games shining through a little, I didn't laugh once.
No not because I don't want the flaws in the game to be pointed out, but because Yahtzee didn't really point out that many flaws and just seemed to be determined to hate the game regardless of it's quality.
Uncharted 2 doesn't add anything to the franchise? You know what else didn't add anything to it's relative franchise? Half-life 2 episode 1...and episode 2.
They are the exact same game as Half-life 2 but with different scenery and in the case of episode 2, a car.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Interesting how you've gotten back to what your series so proudly claims--While I'm quite fond of your column, recently you've taken too damn long to say what you've said. So finally, after quite some time (and some interesting little articulate asides), you've gotten back to Zero Punctuation. Honestly, man, it's about damn time. If I'd wanted a slow, rhythmic, overly positive article, then I'd go read something off of Gamespot, or the little stickers on the displays at the store.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I played Uncharted 2. It was alright, it wasn't record breaking or anything like that. The thing that bugs me about it the most though is how they pretty much just reuse a lot of plot elements from the Indiana Jones films.

Not like the holy grail or anything but just the way the plot in the game is.

Perhaps instead of making Uncharted they should have made an Indiana Jones game or got Harrison Ford to voice Drake.

Yahtzee didn't really point out that many flaws and just seemed to be determined to hate the game regardless of it's quality.
Yahtzee said by no means was it a bad game. He pry just didn't care for it that much just as I didn't care for it that much.

Plus, you have to remember. Yahtzee does these reviews to be funny and not be entirely serious.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Timelord91 said:
ziggybogidou said:
or borderlands?
Maybe *gasp* MW2?

I doubt MW2, he only reviewed the first MW due to overwhelming emails asking him to do it.
And this will be any different?

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Timelord91 said:
ziggybogidou said:
or borderlands?
Maybe *gasp* MW2?

Except he really liked MW1. I know if I was a reviewer I'd be eager to review the sequel of a game I really liked.

Also I beat MW2. Its really good. As if anyone needed to be told that.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
HAHA I love the waiting for a game that matters: DRAGON AGE! Woo hopefully DA:O is the next ZP review. Great review, good game but god i hated jumping at shit that looked like a ledge only to fall to my death.