Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

The Brewin

Aug 23, 2009
Im slightly agrieved that Gears Of War has been heralded as the owner and birth game for this type of 'cover shooting'...does anyone else remember Killswitch???? That had that exact game model on the PS2!!!! I dont know if someone did it before Killswitch, but I get fed up with everyone saying things are stolen of Gears when its so damn not! Gears are as much a thief as anyone else...just because everyones played that game :(

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
snowman6251 said:
Timelord91 said:
ziggybogidou said:
So DA: origins next week?
or borderlands?
Maybe *gasp* MW2?

I doubt it, good isn't funny.
I doubt MW2, he only reviewed the first MW due to overwhelming emails asking him to do it.
Except he really liked MW1. I know if I was a reviewer I'd be eager to review the sequel of a game I really liked.

Also I beat MW2. Its really good. As if anyone needed to be told that.
Unless he believes that a sequel cannot be as good as the original.

Also, yes.....yes it is!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
RAND00M said:
stiver said:
Man definitely going to skip this.
Good looking games have never been the reason to get it. Bad gameplay is best avoided.

boring concepts.
I´m gonna guess that you're one of those people that take his reviews seriously.
I'm gonna guess that you're a PS3 owner?

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
duchaked said:
RAND00M said:
stiver said:
Good looking games have never been the reason to get it. Bad gameplay is best avoided.

boring concepts.
I´m gonna guess that you're one of those people that take his reviews seriously.
I'm gonna guess that...oh look a kitten!

I don't know what to say about this review. No really, I have no idea.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Timelord91 said:
snowman6251 said:
Timelord91 said:
ziggybogidou said:
So DA: origins next week?
or borderlands?
Maybe *gasp* MW2?

I doubt it, good isn't funny.
I doubt MW2, he only reviewed the first MW due to overwhelming emails asking him to do it.
Except he really liked MW1. I know if I was a reviewer I'd be eager to review the sequel of a game I really liked.

Also I beat MW2. Its really good. As if anyone needed to be told that.
Unless he believes that a sequel cannot be as good as the original.

Also, yes.....yes it is!
=)

SmilingKitsune said:
Meh, while this might be my love of the Uncharted games shining through a little, I didn't laugh once.
yeah, probably more than just a little

haha no need to let it get to you, really

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
duchaked said:
RAND00M said:
stiver said:

boring concepts.
What's with this prejudice? Are you going to accuse him of being a fanboy now?

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Awesome review as always Yahtzee, I knew you weren't going to like the game much, it's a sequel with more of the same, how can he praise that ?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
lwm3398 said:
Damn. You know, my friend told me it was a great game, all cinematic and adventurous and sandbox-y... I was just gonna wait for a little confirmation.

Well, it seems I've saved sixty dollars.
I don't think he said it was a "bad" game. He simply pointed out that it doesn't do anything that's actually "new". That said, most games don't actually give us anything new to cheer about, and while that is a sad state of affairs, a statement that the game is "good" but "safe" is virtually content free as a sentence. Gears of War is a game that many people enjoy for it's mechanics, and tomb raider managed to raise (and later lose) a huge following through thanks in no small part to the mechanics it used. Uncharted 2 combines the two elements with a story stolen from movies that most people like, and the result, while hardly new, is at least function and entertaining.

Few games have given us a truly unique story but some games can tell a generic story in a compelling fashion. While some might find the character uninteresting, one must at least recongize that they have exceptional voice acting and, in a rare moment for a game, quality physical acting as well. As such, if one really must level a complaint about the characters, it must be a complaint about the use of archetypal characters as the characters themselves are well fleshed out and don't seem to act in a way that seems inconsistent.

As such, while one can find something to complain about in any game (this is what ZP does afterall), the question ultimately is do the things you like outweigh the things you don't? For most people, I suspect that Uncharted 2 will fall on the happy side of the two possibilities. For those that actually desperately seek story, dynamic characters and the rest of the things that people often point out as being wrong in a game that is generally loved by the masses, I have to say perhaps you need to invest your time in another medium. There will be a day eventually when people who tell good stories will successfuly interact with people who make fun games, but thus far such a marriage has generally been unsuccessful.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
This game would be the one to make me buy a PS3 - there's just nothing else that interests me other than inFamous!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Vlane said:
duchaked said:
RAND00M said:
stiver said:

boring concepts.
I'm gonna guess that...oh look a kitten!

I don't know what to say about this review. No really, I have no idea.

hahaha =]
but yeah, no need to get upset when he bashes a title game for your preferred console (altho I've seen it more with Wii owners rather than of the PS360 variety, but then again Yahtzee does give the Wii special treatment lol)

don't be a sour puss (aha)
xD

edit: but okay fine let's be serious about it then (see two comments above)
I think I'm gonna get off the forums and maybe go play a game or something (not exactly one to go gonzo on forums lol)

littlerudi08107

Sep 23, 2009
I love it when Yahtzee tears a smug asshole character a new one. I'm really starting to hate these commitee driven games, that do nothing but make you do the same things over and over again.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Ugh..due to my ability to imagine what things look like after hearing about it, I can't the homoerotic noogie out of my head.

Thanks Yahtzee x.x

Was wondering what they were going to do with the villains (and their racial appearance), apparently they couldn't get a good bl....no..not going there..

Anyways! Funny as always!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
By comparing his review's of uncharted and Tomb Raider maybe his wish of finding Lara Croft a husband is coming true with Nathan Drake

oneshotfinchy

May 10, 2009
Startling coincidence how all the console exclusives make Yahtzee spew pure hatred at them >:/

Maybe I'm biased because I love the game to bits but did he even notice the part where the main villian questions how Drake is different from him?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
HUBILUB said:
duchaked said:
RAND00M said:
stiver said:

boring concepts.
What's with this prejudice? Are you going to accuse him of being a fanboy now?
no! =) I am acknowledging some level of heightened emotions (an observation really)
I own a PS3 anyway
but really I just found the comment on Yahtzee a bit unwarranted (I can almost agree with the arguments there, but it's all in how you say it)