Zero Punctuation: Valkyria Chronicles

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Next he might wanna try Phantom Crash...it has a nice semblant of MMO, with as much loading screen ^-^

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Hehe I love looking on the comment page just to laugh at how many idiots get probated or banned. You think they would have learnt by now. Anyway I thought it was quite a funny review, and just the right length of time to eat my toasty sandwich in.

Max-Vader

May 9, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
I get the feeling he didn't even give Valkyria Chronicles a chance although it' very unique because of his... let's say "prejudices" against it.
He only has a week to play the games he's reviewing. And I doubt he gets every single hour of every single day to play the games he's reviewing. So with RPGs, games which take time and patience, of course he's not going to get all the way
You're right, but... he just had to play it for about an hour and could have made more accurate points. Hell, he could have looked at the plot summary at Wikipedia. That would take him five minutes and even an review based on that alone would be more precise, but I guess he ignored that in favor of more humorous generalisations about it. It's his style to overreact so it's more funny, but at some points he was either completly clueless or lying (for example, the upgradesystem and "micromanagement").

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Teiraa said:
UtopiaV1 said:
Hey guys, just a heads' up, Yahtzee isn't a reviewer...

He's the class clown.
is that why he is famous and has hundreds of thousands of fans?
Yes, that's right! Finally someone who understands, he is funny, hence popular! If you want a review, go see Susan Arendt or John Funk... although I wouldn't recommend it because they are awful reviewers and aren't funny in the slightest...

odisious15

Nov 14, 2007
viscountesslafiel said:
odisious15 said:
Well watching that saved me from buying a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing Valkryia Chronicles. Guess I'll stick to my PC for gaming and hope we get more JRPG's withing the next decade or two.
As for the review hilarious as always.
You're incredibly stupid if you think Yatzees opinion means much, especially when he reviews a genre he hates.
Well seeing as how I have agreed with quite a few of his past reviews; I'd have to say his opinions do carry some merit; on the other hand there are some games I own (and love) that he ripped to shreds in past reviews (FEAR2, The Witcher, etc.). Also as someone who is not a huge fan of JRPG's to begin with, having someone with a similar viewpoint review a game can be a good thing.

Insulting someone who obviously took the review with a grain of salt is quite petty.

Apr 17, 2009
Max-Vader said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
I get the feeling he didn't even give Valkyria Chronicles a chance although it' very unique because of his... let's say "prejudices" against it.
He only has a week to play the games he's reviewing. And I doubt he gets every single hour of every single day to play the games he's reviewing. So with RPGs, games which take time and patience, of course he's not going to get all the way
You're right, but... he just had to play it for about an hour and could have made more accurate points. Hell, he could have looked at the plot summary at Wikipedia. That would take him five minutes and even an review based on that alone would be more precise, but I guess he ignored that in favor of more humorous generalisations about it. It's his style to overreact so it's more funny, but at some points he was either completly clueless or lying (for example, the upgradesystem and "micromanagement").
Correction: You could have played it for an hour and got more accurate points. You don't really have any idea of how far Yahtzee would have gotten in an hour, nor of how much he could have gleaned from cutscenes he clearly did not like and wouldn't have given his undivided attention (then again, he could have given his undivided attention to them. I don't know what he did either, and I don't pretend to.)

His reviews tend to be about his experience playing the game. Looking up the summary on wikipedia doesn't give you any experience with the game. The only review I can think of where he definitely used something other than the game of the week was his Turok review.

The micromanagement could well just be a matter of opinion. You could be used to such things, and he is not. Like desensitisation.

mgmchenry

Jan 14, 2009
X-COM

Yahtzee, please play the original. I wish I had the cash to sponsor your review of this game. It has minor interface issues that stem from the time that it was made. Regardless, it stands out as a work of inspired genius.

I know from playing Art of Theft that you have something to say about game design. You are missing some perspective if you haven't played this one.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
An X-COM would be nice. Hopefully the first, as the unpatched version of the second one could not be completed (though it was fun).

Also, compassion is overrated.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
When is he going to review a standard JRPG?

I mean, I'm glad he's probably interested in tactical RPGs now, but frankly I'd stick with Fire Emblem in that case.

Jasper Kazai

Dec 8, 2007
Was that an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade reference during the credits when Hitler signed the book? Awesome.

Max-Vader

May 9, 2009
Correction: You could have played it for an hour and got more accurate points. You don't really have any idea of how far Yahtzee would have gotten in an hour, nor of how much he could have gleaned from cutscenes he clearly did not like and wouldn't have given his undivided attention (then again, he could have given his undivided attention to them. I don't know what he did either, and I don't pretend to.)
I used an extreme example. I'm pretty sure he played it for more than an hour. But my point is: Why review something you have no knowledge about? Yes, I have no idea how far he got, but if he even looked at it properly (i.e. more than five minutes) he would have realized that some of his statemens are not quite correct, to say the least.

His reviews tend to be about his experience playing the game. Looking up the summary on wikipedia doesn't give you any experience with the game. The only review I can think of where he definitely used something other than the game of the week was his Turok review.
Correct, it doesn't give gameplay experience. He sometimes just watches cutscenes from games, because he can't play them all the way through (I think he did that with Resident Evil 1-3). If he did that, he could have mocked the Deus ex Machina near the end. He could even play the game for one hour to give himself an idea, then just watch the cutscenes somewhere. It is less work for him, because he hates JRPGs so much and he knew everything there is to know, thus giving him more time to "play other, less horrible games".

The micromanagement could well just be a matter of opinion. You could be used to such things, and he is not. Like desensitisation.
It could be... but it isn't because it is no micromanagement. I'm not used to micromanage every little thing and it would definitely annoy me, too. (cough Starcraft cough)
But to call it micromanagement isn't going the extra mile, it's going to the moon, so to speak. I was upgrading my squad after every mission (which you don't even have to) and it took me about five minutes. Yes, you can custumize your tank and crap like that, but why do it? The important things don't take much time, and some are not even neccesary.

ElTigreNegro

Jan 17, 2009
harhol said:
People who plan on taking this review seriously might want to bear in mind the numerous factual inaccuracies which suggest that he's barely played beyond the first couple of missions. Sandbags aren't the only things you can crouch behind and weapons can be upgraded in several different ways. If snipers are only hitting one in ten shots then I suggest he either reads the instruction manual or retires from playing video games. His line about the protagonist's sister being plot-centric and therefore invincible will be amusing to anyone who's played past the first third of the game. The comment about excessive micromanagement is also bizarre considering how simplistic it is in VC compared to other TRPGs.
This, i mean, i like Yahtzee's reviews and i agree with him in a lot of things. But like any other review site ever it's something that i take as a grain of salt, not as "the universal truth". It's both funny and sad that a great game like VC will get a bad look by many just because "OMG Yahtzee doesn't like it, and i must shape my taste to fit his own taste!" It's pretty obvious that he will never make a 100% fully positive review of a japanese RPG ever. Expecting one will be like expecting the great pumpkin.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I haven't watched the full video yet but let me say this Yahtzee: In DDS half human half demon adults kill god (and satan if you want but he is the good guy).

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
First off... Why were so many people put on probation for posting the INSTANT the video was up? Yes, it's kind of annoying but putting someone on probation for saying "this looks awesome" seems a bit excessive to me.

That being said, they were all very thick for posting so quickly.

Now then, I found this review to be quite funny, mostly because like everyone else I love it when Yahtzee completely tears a game a new one, and we all can probably pick a JRPG or RPG, or FPS for that matter, to make fun of, and this one looks quite awful.

Bravo, yahtzee. Hilarious.