Zero Punctuation: Valkyria Chronicles

rorymclean12

Apr 2, 2009
good review my mate loves this game so your review made him sad but over all good review pity how this game isn't for 360 it looks fun =)

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Max-Vader said:
TetsuoKaneda said:
Oh, I'm sorry, was there any point to your ad-hominem zealotry? Because it just seems like you and Yahtzee have a difference of opinion on the game, and nothing more. Way I see it, he played the game, didn't like it, wrote a review about what he didn't like, and then put it up here for public scrutiny. Why does it matter whether or not he beat the game? I haven't beaten Jade Empire, but I know I like it. Which is why I own it and will continue to play it. I do not own Halo, and I didn't have to beat it to know that I wouldn't even dignify it as a shiny frisbee. And the "he's just bad at it, that's why he hates it" nonsense? Stop. Please. That factors into everyone's reviews of games, not just Yahtzee's.
What ad-hominem zealotry? Do you even know what an ad hominem is? I didn't attack him personally. I didn't say he is bad at it. And I know why he hates it. My problem is not his opinion - for all I care he could think that JRPG-players deserve to die. I'm bothered by the fact that his opinion is based on false "data", so to say. And that is where the "he didn't finish it" becomes important, because as I said he either played it not long enugh, then he shouldn't complain about the story because he doesn't know it, or he is lying.
I own Valkyria Chronicals and I have not finished it yet. I can safely say that the last battle, where I am currently, is a crappy battle compared to the rest of the game. Since I have not finished the game yet, is my opinion on how much I like or dislike the game valid? I happened to enjoy the pseudo-WWII story-line (which I think they told that way just to avoid stepping on peoples toes, in my opinion), although I thought a great number of the characters were tripe, as are most JRPG characters. I thought the game was a good first attempt at blending two genres that don't normally go together, and I eagerly anticipate more.

I can totally understand where Yahtzee was coming from with the menus. I had commented on those myself. They are unnecessarily clutter, and very excessive, leading to more load time navigating the menus than playing the game. As well, the cut scene "choosing" was absolutely pointless. I can see choosing individual ones "after the fact", but not on your first playthrough. Many of the characters were terrible, but that is less a fault of this game and more a fault of the Japanese game development community that really doesn't put any thought into making their characters believable.

Why does a person have to finish a game in order to form an opinion on it? There are many games out there that I know I will dislike playing, just based on the style they are, and my preferred playstyle being at odds. That doesn't necessarily mean they are bad games, just that they are bad games for me. To have to sit through an entire game only to then decide if you like it or not...well that's kind of silly, and pointless. He dislikes JRPGs, so why harp on him for sharing that opinion, when we already know it? He was just giving us his reasons, and if you can't accept that, then you have no business reading/watching reviews as you are easily swayed by other peoples' opinions.

Terrik

Mar 21, 2009
Onmi said:
Universal Millitary Uniform= Silly Costumes?

From what I've seen the women wear skirts in combat, that IS silly. Especially when it's called "Universal Millitary Uniform".

Great review as always. Funny that pretty much everyone with an anime style avatar that's commented seems to hate this review :p.

arkblazer

May 14, 2009
Kinda weird that yahtzee decided to review this jrpg when its almost a year old; and also what a weird coincidence that the new valkirya chronicles anime is airing right now in japan. something tells me that a certain british game reviewer is a closet otaku :p

anyway for those valkirya fanboys that are raging cuz of the review and to those that wont buy it because yahtzee trolled the shit out of the game; i just have to say that if you read between the lines you can see that yahtzee really loved the game, in fact his totally tsundere for it.

after all halo wars was also a strategy game, and it didn't convert yahtzee, yet Mr. trolly mcspeedytongue here admitted that he had fun, and we all know thats the best complement he can ever give to a game.

P.S. yahtzee please review shadow of the colossus. please, pretty please, with sugar on top. ^^

Malmer

Apr 23, 2008
Take THAT you otaku boy lovers, right up your bum next to your lubricated figurines! =^^=

On a more serious note, I've laughed out loud at many of this years reviews. I feel like they have the spirit of the old ones, but I don't know exactly why those few in the middle of it all didn't.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
This again? I see a pattern forming pretty fast. So, let's go about it once again, even though you'd think people would've got it in their thick skulls by now.

1) Yahtzee is a critic. It's his job to point out the things he didn't like.
2) A review or, especially, a critique is there to help people decide whether they should buy a game or not. This stupid industry has become so bloated that people tend to forget that. It's great if you folks who can buy a game every week want to pick x game up, but for those of us who can afford a title per two months, any other kind of review won't cut it.
3) If seeing a review you disagree with makes you feel sad inside, you are a fanboy. If you're not a fanboy, then you just have issues. As simple as that.
4) I find it kind of funny how people crucify Yahtzee for reviewing genres he's made clear he doesn't like, but conveniently ignore the fact that he reviewed the game on its own merits; 2/3 of the video was about the gameplay.
5) People really should look up the word troll before using it next time.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Anyone who takes his reviews seriously should be punished. Although I check out games he recommends, which is rare - but some of them, I like, too.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
kappa99 said:
Wondering when they are going to change the "EVERY WEDNESDAY YAHTZEE...." when it is always $@#%ing THURSDAY that they release the reviews
I live in europe and his videos get released every wednesday around 18:00.

EchoCharlie

Aug 26, 2008
What's with the giant "play" button covering up the screen when you pause the video?

I mean you watch it once then go back an read the bits that flashed up and disappeared too quick later - am I right? But then there's this giant "play" sign bothering my cock?

I mean come on Yahtzee, you pick the shit out of game interfaces etc and you can't get your own crap in order. WTF? Get to work you pommie tit!

Apart from that - good job. Do Red Orchestra! Do Red Orchestra!

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
Xelanath said:
Banok said:
when he says hes a nazi sympathist I hope he doesn't mean racist, especially after all his "I'M NOT RACIST" mindwashing. but then I can't think what else he means... maybe he just likes the trenchcoats (well, who doesn't?).
There's plenty more to Nazis than racism.
like? if someone says they are a nazi I'm pretty sure they mean racist first and foremost.

arkblazer

May 14, 2009
meh i was joking around, but like i said even though yahtzee might have nitpicked it for lulz. (which if I'm not mistaken the reason of this reviews) it seemed to me like he liked it. after all yahtzee not only hates jrpgs, but doesnt seem to care much for strategy games, yet this jrpg of all things might have just converted him to strategy games. that to me is a pretty big compliment.

Megadanxzero

Sep 6, 2008
Hmm... Interesting... This makes me wonder if Yahtzee would like the Fire Emblem games... It's turn based strategy without shitty over the top story and girly male characters

Max-Vader

May 9, 2009
Lord_Jaroh said:
Why does a person have to finish a game in order to form an opinion on it?
I never said that. But you should know what you are talking about, if you make a review.

He dislikes JRPGs, so why harp on him for sharing that opinion, when we already know it?
As I said, my problem is not his opinion, my problem is that he was at some points wrong and ranted about something he had no clue about.

He was just giving us his reasons, and if you can't accept that, then you have no business reading/watching reviews as you are easily swayed by other peoples' opinions.
I'm not swayed by other peoples opinions. Also, who are you to tell me if I should watch/read reviews? If his reasons are wrong, then it seems perfectly valid to me to point them out. Why can't you accept my opinion then? Criticism works both ways you know. I can and will criticise everyone for being incorrect, no matter if it is Yahtzee or not.