Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
That's a lot of responses from people who clearly haven't watch it.

Since I actually did however I've got a question... how does the expansion impact those who don't have it? I haven't played in a few months and am now wondering when I do I'll be on top of a mountain or beneath a whole new town.

Also, Dwarves are the only Alliance race worth playing as haha!
Outlands and northrend are still the the same.

However lvling from 1-60 is completely revamped.
There are alot of really fun quests and the grind is essentially gone.
Whenever you see a quest that says kill 50 mobs. You're in a vehicle blowing them up.

My only complaint is there are quite alot of really bad cutscenes.
I understand why they're there (to help with phasing) but still.

Personally I've gotten alittle bored of it already.
Got the gear needed to raid and I'm bored waiting on other people to get geared.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
KalosCast said:
Meh. It was pretty much just a rehash of all the criticism that everyone else puts towards WoW. Yes, you need good items to raid to get better items to do better raids, but it's the raids themselves that people enjoy. That's like saying that the only reason you beat the first level in a video game is to play the second level.
That was my reason for raiding at least. The items were just tools. The fun lies in killing difficult bosses together with people you like. I'm afraid that sentiment is lost to raiders of this expansion though, these days it is indeed about the items and the items only. Raids are the tools now.

It's why I stopped playing.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
LittleWings said:
Alliance aren't that bad are they? Or have I just been wasting my time with them?
Yes. Yes you have ;)

Honestly, I did not expect a video about World of Warcraft. And that he didn't tear it to pieces was even more surprising.

Anyway; Lok'tar Ogar! For the Horde!

kaosboy13

Jul 3, 2008
Yep, sounds unbelievably boring. Give me Super SF4 or Marvel vs Capcom 3 (hurry up with that already!) and screw the leveling up tripe. And the new Mortal Kombat if it's any good. And if Prototype 2 is anywhere near as fun as the first one, give me that one, too. As for games that are only good when played online, keep your competitive nerding and let me enjoy my brutal mayhem.

dragonshardz

Mar 22, 2010
*gasp* Yahtzee actually liking WoW? (at lest to the point where EVIL was involved) I mean, sure it is an endless time-sink with a quantum singularity in its core that sucks all your life into it, but it is still one of the best MMO's ever created.

Thank God I stopped playing though ;)

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
I had a somewhat similar experience. I enjoyed WoW, I lost a massive amount of my sleeping hours to it, but then I reached end-game content and after a while realized that there's nothing pulling me into the game anymore, no exploration, no fun quests (and yes, I'm one of those people who enjoy a "twenty bear asses" quest if it has a nifty storyline to it)... Just numbers and numbers. And while I know there are people who love this sort of thing (one of the bits I remember from the end was my friend I always played with raving about how he got his gearscore up and how a specific build gave him a slightly higher dps), it just didn't stick with me. Which is why, despite good reviews, I'm not picking Cataclysm up. Because no matter how much fun playing as a goblin or worgen would be, I know that it will end in endless boring grind.

Itami

Jan 23, 2008
Mackheath said:
How the hell did you end up in a guild? You're a gloomy misanthropic bugger, the exact opposite the Lords of Blizzard want to see running around incase it upsets the automated responses of the gamers.
My guess, he joined Matt's guild from australiangamer. Matt played WoW last I heard and they're friends IRL.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
What I'm liking...(not raiding yet, just experience of some of the new dungeons) is that they seem to have pushed away from gearscore (you can't make gamers give it up, but it REALLY isn't so important now), and actually base success or failure on actually doing things. Know the dungeon, know how to react to events, know when to heal and when to move, when not to stand in the fire etc.

Some dummy dripping in epics who doesn't pay attention and just nukes WILL get you killed, whereas a guy in half blues who actually has a clue will help get you thru almost anything.

As for Yahtzee's experience, 1-60 is just plain better than it was a year ago, if you hated WOW, you'll still hate it, but if you weren't sure, might be time to give it another go.

That $15 a month sure is cheaper than a COD Black ops a month.

PS: Plants vs Zombies bonus quests too!

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Is there some rule obligating the mods to putting the first few posts on every ZP thread on probation? I mean, yea the mods here are more active than pretty much any other forum I've ever been on, but generally when I look at the offending post behind the many, many probations and suspensions I see while browsing, I agree with the mod action or can understand why they did it.

But that's just not true of the inevitable first several posts in the ZP threads. Is it just some tradition that you do for kicks? Is it an honor system to point at the first lucky few that manage to post on the fledgling ZP thread because the forums don't have any positive way of pointing someones post out? Do you start out optimistically telling yourselves that you'll ban all the pointless unconstructive posts that are little more than "me like" or "me hate", only to realize there'll be hundreds of posts within the hour and half them will be such posts so you just give up after the first few? What?

*waits to be suspended for asking*

MeteorK

Apr 25, 2010
I picked up Mogworld in a local bookstore, and it was very well done, good job Yahtzee!

I've never laughed so much from a book!

Paul The Best

Aug 20, 2008
Good show this week Yahtzee. This saves me the trouble from having to go out and play this expansion set. You have saved 1 life.

randomID

Dec 29, 2008
Does that mean I have to buy a second copy of mogworld? ;)

Also thanks for the warning. ;)

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Nimcha said:
That was my reason for raiding at least. The items were just tools. The fun lies in killing difficult bosses together with people you like. I'm afraid that sentiment is lost to raiders of this expansion though, these days it is indeed about the items and the items only. Raids are the tools now.

Yeah, when I saw everyone complaining on the forums that healing requires effort, I figured I'd just ditch raiding altogether and play around on PVP (I don't want my life to rely on people that dumb). Might not stick around for this entire expansion though, Vanilla and WotLK were definitely the high-points of this game.

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Judging by some of the drivel floating around the WoW forums, you'd think this "game" is nothing more than a glorified spreadsheet passed around a table by a bunch of fat nerds.
No, that would be EVE Online.

*Badum-tish!*
I'm pretty sure every EVE player is aware he's playing spreadsheets online, maybe the pvpers a bit less... ask any industrialist or trader that however...

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
KalosCast said:
Nimcha said:

Yeah, when I saw everyone complaining on the forums that healing requires effort, I figured I'd just ditch raiding altogether and play around on PVP (I don't want my life to rely on people that dumb). Might not stick around for this entire expansion though, Vanilla and WotLK were definitely the high-points of this game.
I strongly disagree, TBC was as close to perfect as it could be.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
He is right though, congratulating people in that game is a conditioned response, I got the same amount of praise for getting a haircut in that game as I did for hitting level 80....