ZP lost its edge?

MattKirby

Aug 6, 2008
I thought it was funny as shit when I started watching it too. But, now I consider it a logical review segment that I enjoy to watch because he still points out the flaws in major games. I still think he's funny but if you guys wanted nothing but humour I think you came to the wrong place. He simply makes reviewing games so much easier.

-bladerunner-

Dec 22, 2008
Haters.... Personally I believe ZP to be different each week as it is reviewing different games and this gives them a unique feel even if Yahtzee raves about them a bit.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
MorganL4 said:
Im sorry but when i first started watching ZP i thought it was the greatest thing ever. a game review with some actual wit. but then suddenly it seems that after the GDC ZP special it all seemed to go downhill, atleast thats my opinion, ZP introduced me to the escapist, but..."
I see where you're coming from. I agree he's losing his edge. Maybe because he's reviewing bland games. I still enjoy the reviews but am not laughing as much as I have at others.

Devil may Cry was hilarious.

And I resound that I was introduced to the site through ZP so I'm a little fond of him.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Amoreyna said:
Evidence? Most everything is opinion based so how does evidenc play a role in that? Otherwise the rest I agree with.
It's the screams of "lies" and "bullshit" etc. I have a personal distaste for people who throw around accusations of lying online. Particularly when their motivation for those accusations is fanboyism.

Amoreyna said:
Anyways - yes I was long wearied of the whole anti-Yahtzee nonsense and how hostile people get over this subject. Also tired of being called a fanboy if I defend anything he's done.
To be honest, the Yahtzee fanboys are just as bad. "I met Yahtzee!", "Does Yahtzee like ice cream?", "Will Yahtzee have my babies!" are really pathetic. Not to mention, there is far more to The Escapist than Yahtzee.

Amoreyna said:
Take Fable: TLC - I ended up getting a chance to play it after I watched his review and I though he was completely right in his negative view of the game. Did he leave some things out that would have made it look even worse? Sure he did - but he only has so much time and as simple as his animation sequences look it does take a lot of work to do them.
Really? I thought he was mostly wrong in that he wasn't nearly negative enough about the game. Hang on I'll find my comments on it...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.76789.939610

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.76789.956821

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.76789.1085907

Samurai_Mitsurugi

Jan 21, 2009
Actually, the whole point of a review is it's the opinion of the person REVIEWING it. So if Yahtzee says a game is a steaming pile of horse manure, or this control is fiddly, that's not ''DAMN YOU TO THE BOWELS OF HELL YOU DECEITFUL SINNER'' lies, it's just how he finds it. Some people will agree, some won't, so you can't regard a reviewer as a liar. Unless they said that the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening was a complex flight simulator with subtly integrated turn-based RPG elements. Then they would either be a liar or in the middle of a very severe drug-based crisis.

Undeadpope

Feb 4, 2009
maybe a little edge,but its barely avoidable(some have managed however)
but otherwise I still "tune in" every Wednesday,as long as I have internet access,I will.Its nice to have something to look forward to during the week(I do the same with unforgotten realms and unskippable,but of course on there respectable days).

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
granted it's not as original original as it was at the beginning but it has been going for well over a year now, give the guy a break. besides, the Little Big Planet review was great and the Thief one was, too. i still remember when new ones come out and i'm here every Wednesday waiting for the new one. everything looses a bit of steam when it goes on for a while but as far as i'm concerned it's still awesome.

davidboring

Nov 24, 2007
Sennz0r said:
Doesn't matter to me. It's still funny from time to time. Besides the rest of the Escapist is far more interesting, and I thank ZP for introducing me to that.
Hear, hear.

Master Sampson

Jul 4, 2008
The only thing that's different is that he sometimes draws out a gag for too long. I still think he's hilarious, and it's just becoming increasingly difficult to review each game differently when there's not many good or unique games coming out at the moment. Oh, and he's trying too hard to talk fast. But apart from that he's wonderful. Go Yahtzee!

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
sadly this is true, Yathzee has lost his spark it seems, and if he don't regain that he will loose many fans, and what is a entertainer without his armt of idiotic fanboys?

AfricanSwallow

Jan 17, 2009
It's been 24 hours without one of these threads, so I guess this one was due.

Still pretty good, just lost a bit of an edge for some people.

The humour seems to have taken a bit of a dive to become more pedestrian, and quite frankly, more immature.... but it seems not nearly immature enough for a large cluster of the fanboys who consistently post the "Yahtzee isnt funnie[sic] any moer!" nonsense.

From reading this thread, I think it's lost a touch of the edge for the opposite reasons of many of you.
I prefer the slower, more precise delivery of the early-to-middle reviews, and the emphasis on more literate humour.

Really, I think that ZP has just found a comfortable middle ground between the two extremes of immature one-liners and breast jokes, and more literate humour with subtle references that us older viewers catch.

While I do think the reviews are largely intended for an older audience, it does have a wide following of younger viewers, who simply aren't familiar with many of the references to older games and cultural elements that the intended audience is familiar with.

To cater to a younger crowd would be a mistake, I think... because ZP would just disappear into the crowd of crude web comics.

An easy way to tell what group you're in:
If you frequently post without any capitalization, rampant spelling mistakes, and a blatant disregard for grammar - all the while posting about how you hate when he reviews older games....
... you're in the younger crowd.
And if you don't like, or appreciate it: you should probably find something else to watch - there are plenty of nonsense comics around with an emphasis on nothing more than crude sexual references and language, with little thought or effort that cater to your demographic.

The appeal of the series is the well-thought but quickly delivered wit, rather than just mindless slapstick.... and quite frankly: a commitment to a 'working review' of a game, and the gameplay, rather than the typical stale breakdown of commenting on sharp graphics and 'cool guns'.

If anything, I thought the last few were closer to what the first phase of his reviews were like.

... and for the record, I enjoy all of the reviews, just some not as much as others.
(I hate clip mash-ups, for instance)