ZP lost its edge?

edgeofblade

Jan 8, 2009
What I find strange in the FC2 review is that he really Auss'es it up. His pronunciation is even more regional than before. Is someone coaching him?

Valki

Jan 21, 2009
Yathzee still rocks.

Maybe some people enjoyed being exposed to some of his ideas 'arch nemesis quick time events', and yes, that's over. You didn't know you hated them, now you do, and the transition was fun for you.

You still get game reviews and quite personally much better game reviews than from most sources. His reviews are actually useful:
1) Unlike most reviewers, he considers 'fun' the most important aspect of the game.
2) He dares tell you that it's just good or just bad and that you should or should not get it.

Concerning the last, I'm not a follower of his, but you do know what is good about a game if he recommends it.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
I've noticed that people say that today's review was 'funny' and 'hilarious'. I'm sorry, but someones gone bat shit crazy. Either you guys, or me, I've wathed the entire review, four times and I haven't cracked a smile, hell not even a chuckel. I don't know when African jokes became the hip with the comedy bisnuess, but for me it's not humor. Same goes for his Tomb Raider review, his Sonic review, hell most of the reviews he did. Or maybe I stopped seeing them funny because I tried the games and know how much bullshit the guy is saying, I don't know

jordanwolfe20

Dec 24, 2008
yahtzee is and always will be amazing. period. it does vary, sometimes they are awesome and sometimes its meh, but still enjoyable to watch. i found there was a small section of games that werent very good at all but its back to the way it used to be. and the intro music isnt that bad. yahtzee rules

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
edgeofblade said:
What I find strange in the FC2 review is that he really Auss'es it up. His pronunciation is even more regional than before. Is someone coaching him?
Its a very bad South African accent. Either he was mocking the game in some way, or else the English penchant for finding foreign accents 'hilarious' struck him down. Honestly, 80% of British comedy was all about accents until the mid sixties.

Wislong

Dec 10, 2008
I do Enjoy it, but I think he's thinking too much about forcing a review out for wednesday to meet a deadline.
I think he should take a break for a while, allow him to "Refresh" himself. Then maybe we'll see him as good as he was when I first watched one of his reviews.

And if the worst comes to the worst; we'll simply do what we did to Sonic, to him.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i think its still funny i think youve probly just gotten used to how ZP does it people who are new to watching still find it funny.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Off Topic: theres a ZP comment response thread for u yhatzee trolls to play in. Why must you spill out into the rest of the escapist each week? Your opinion is no more relevant, original or interesting because u made a thread about it.

On Topic: each week for the past year some people have thought ZP is getting worse some its the same & some getting better. Same as with every other show/comic/book etc. Dont like it? no1 cares. Do like it? ditto.

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
I may not laugh as much at ZP as I used to, but I still love it. I definitly wouldn't call Yahtzee a ranting troll, just look at guys like AVGN if you want to see a ranting troll. At the end of the day Yahtzee still reviews, and he makes good points while doing so.

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
SSoneill said:
I don't think he has lost his talent at all I just think the things he has chosen to review lately just aren't that cared about, example: Sonic, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Mirror's Edge but the latest Farcry 2 was funny as hell for me and GOW2 has a massive fan base so if he destroys it (which is always funnier) he will get alot of positive feedback for it as well as a few fanboys with a bone to pick unfortunatly
you got that point before me and also because the first time you watch ZP it was new I can bet all of you that ZP was the first time you heard such a humour and a way to review games. Now that you are used to ZP know his humour and he is a little predictable at time he doesn?t seem funny any more, he actually is but to us he is some thing we have watch all of his video and most likely more the once

Jonathan Hexley

Jul 4, 2008
There's definitely been a change... I'm not sure where it was though. It wasn't when he got the new theme music, (You've come for the review, not the music. Remember?) it isn't the recent flow of games... But it's changed. I still love Zero Punctuation, I always look forward to getting home on Wednesday, crashing on the bed and waiting for the new 'review'*. It's just different from before. As many have said, I still laugh, just not as much.
*I don't consider them reviews as much, but they can still be held as accurate in a few areas.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
This is a repeat thread. Someone creates a new one of these just about every other time that a ZP video comes out.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I agree that Yahtzee's at best not as funny as he used to be. I don't think it's him as much as it is that he has a very unique comical style, which is very funny at first but eventually you get used to it and expect it. Also, his material isn't really as genius as it was before, but I'm not gonna blame someone for not being a genius. All I know is that it used to be that when a new ZP came out I would watch it like 2-5 times in a row, laughing my ass off each time. Now, I watch it, chuckle or laugh a few times, think "that's funny", and go on my way. Some of the older ones were better. I think I'll watch one now.

Jul 9, 2008
Sennz0r said:
Doesn't matter to me. It's still funny from time to time. Besides the rest of the Escapist is far more interesting, and I thank ZP for introducing me to that.
I agree.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
No way! ZP is as awesome as ever, I love his sonic review, and thats quite recent. You try doing anything better :p

Edit:

Oh, and I just watched his review of Farcry 2, AWESOME :D