Not open for further replies.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Racism, classism, entitlement, arrogance, yea many causes here, but you have to start addressing the symptoms before you can get to the heart of the problem. Since we cannot stop " GREED" or " HATRED" in general, we can alt least stop people from obtaining positions in society where they can use their positions to inflict harm upon members of society. Even if we elimiated poverty in the US, we would STILL have to contend with groups like the KKK and Identity Evropa infiltrating our law enforcement, military and immigration departments in order to cause harm and carry out their agenda. This is a long known and widespread problem that we have not properly addressed at all here.

In order to have impact immediately, we have to start with removing the tentacles of racism in our law enforcement, immigration and military. I am not saying that is all that needs to be done here, not at all, but this is the first thing we have to do immediately to at least give us that release valve while simultaneously focusing on deescalation training and weeding out aggressive cops. I know the police Unions will hate every aspect of that, and they will have to get a " deal with it" at this point, and honestly, we need to have a policy that fires an officer for covering their badge numbers or turning off cameras as some police unions have done. The blue wall needs to come down in order to have the needed reform, whether they like it or not. if they don't like it, they can either comply or lose their jobs. The policies they are trying to protect are the same policies that are endangering both the officers and the community they are supposed to protect. We have to address the criminals in the police force before we can restore trust between the police and the people.
They already do that Lil. They've had these police training procedures for decades, both for violence and for race, gender, nationality, and everything else. It doesn't do anything, because it doesn't matter how many times you tell someone, "Don't be racist" if the place they get called into to deal with violent crime is still the poor black neighborhoods.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
At least a little good news in this shit show (though it is pretty early tp declare victory given how often cops skate away from murder

Good. Damn good. I imagine those are all felonies, meaning no rehiring.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
They already do that Lil. They've had these police training procedures for decades, both for violence and for race, gender, nationality, and everything else. It doesn't do anything, because it doesn't matter how many times you tell someone, "Don't be racist" if the place they get called into to deal with violent crime is still the poor black neighborhoods.
Why are you ignoring the excessive force problem here.

And quite frankly why does it matter *where* they get called in to? When called into a poor black neighborhood they should still be expected not to be racist. The problem is their ability to get away with it, no real consequences means they don't have to adjust their behavior

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Thought I'd do some updates on stuff from last night as we've not had a big updates thing

Protesters disarm looter

Homeless man who had all his stuff burned by rioters has had it replaced by the community

A 77 year old Black Former Police officer was shot dead by rioters defending his store (No I won't show a video, people don't need videos of his dead body lying lifeless on the floor)

Claims Police shot a 13 year old dead turned out to be a man of between 30 and 42 who at the time was visible in possession of a gun and was reported to have shot someone already. Police ordered him to drop it and he refused so they shot him dead. (again not posting a video, people don't need to see a person being shot dead)

Alleged AntiFA guy drops explosive device near police lines. Protesters pick it up and throw it back into the guys car

New York Police have discovered bins of Bricks and Broken bits of concrete placed about and removed them (continuing the saga of the mysterious bricks appearing round protest sites)

College students get given free eco friendly air conditioning courtesy of rioters

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Good. Damn good. I imagine those are all felonies, meaning no rehiring.
Oddly it's not.

2nd degree requires evidence of deliberate Malice. I.E. he literally killed George Floyd out of anger or intent and in his actions knew he was killing him and did so deliberately. So as an example you'd need to have evidence he wanted to kill some-one or posted racist messages about killing Black men or something like that

This actually means a higher chance he will be let off.

4th degree has a lower standard of evidence required to prove it where all they have to prove really is the officer killed him out of gross incompetence or negligence.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Oddly it's not.

2nd degree requires evidence of deliberate Malice. I.E. he literally killed George Floyd out of anger or intent and in his actions knew he was killing him and did so deliberately. So as an example you'd need to have evidence he wanted to kill some-one or posted racist messages about killing Black men or something like that

This actually means a higher chance he will be let off.

4th degree has a lower standard of evidence required to prove it where all they have to prove really is the officer killed him out of gross incompetence or negligence.
First off, the officer was charged with 3rd degree originally. There is no 4th degree, in Minnesota or anywhere else that I've heard of.

3rd degree murder in Minnesota is: "Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years. " Essentially, it's an upgraded manslaughter charge, and I thought it fit this crime very well, so long as there was no proof of the officer in question acting on personal motive.

However, making the crime 3rd degree murder means that motive doesn't have to be proved, and therefore the other officers couldn't be charged with conspiracy (that's my own interpretation, and I'm not a law expert, but that's what seems logical to me). The worst that would be left would be criminal negligence, and it's something that I think cops are off the hook for in this instance, given Supreme Court decisions that police are not Constitutionally obligated to protect citizens. The exception is if the citizen is in custody, and that's muddled in this case because it can be argued that George Floyd was resisting arrest at the time. Overall, it didn't look like there was a strong case to bring charges on the other officers.

Making the crime 2nd degree murder brings in intent, and with intent can come conspiracy, which is the charge now being levied against the other officers. However, this reeks to me of a political stunt. If there's no additional evidence which has not yet been revealed which points to a motive, then the first officer will get off on the murder charge and only be found guilty for the additional manslaughter charges. If he gets off on murder, you can't very well try the other officers for conspiracy to commit murder effectively, which would mean they all walk. This seems to me to be bad faith legal shenanigans in an effort to placate the riots which places the primary case in jeopardy.

Sneed's SeednFeed

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Azerbaijan
Reactions: Seanchaidh

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
First off, the officer was charged with 3rd degree originally. There is no 4th degree, in Minnesota or anywhere else that I've heard of.

3rd degree murder in Minnesota is: "Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years. " Essentially, it's an upgraded manslaughter charge, and I thought it fit this crime very well, so long as there was no proof of the officer in question acting on personal motive.

However, making the crime 3rd degree murder means that motive doesn't have to be proved, and therefore the other officers couldn't be charged with conspiracy (that's my own interpretation, and I'm not a law expert, but that's what seems logical to me). The worst that would be left would be criminal negligence, and it's something that I think cops are off the hook for in this instance, given Supreme Court decisions that police are not Constitutionally obligated to protect citizens. The exception is if the citizen is in custody, and that's muddled in this case because it can be argued that George Floyd was resisting arrest at the time. Overall, it didn't look like there was a strong case to bring charges on the other officers.

Making the crime 2nd degree murder brings in intent, and with intent can come conspiracy, which is the charge now being levied against the other officers. However, this reeks to me of a political stunt. If there's no additional evidence which has not yet been revealed which points to a motive, then the first officer will get off on the murder charge and only be found guilty for the additional manslaughter charges. If he gets off on murder, you can't very well try the other officers for conspiracy to commit murder effectively, which would mean they all walk. This seems to me to be bad faith legal shenanigans in an effort to placate the riots which places the primary case in jeopardy.
I'd heard it was going to be 4th degree if I'm wrong I stand corrected but 2nd degree still requires a higher standard of evidence as such.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Important update:

But by all means keep the rumour mill about antifa being secret terrorists going if it helps you.
Isn't this from the same report that says that other Black Bloc groups however may have been involved?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I was quite specific. I am not talking about " all the problems in the world". I am talking about THIS problem.
You're not always talking about this problem though. We talk about many problems here, and you make the same assessment of all of them. Any issue to you is evidence of government inadequacy, and any government inadequacy is Republican malfeasance. Every time.
Being Heeded is being invited into the discussion. Having your actual thoughts and feelings and experiences added to the discussion to help transform the future. Are we being heeded here? Will there be discussions on how to actually best fight crime and/or poverty that causes crime? Will there be movements, jobs, education reform that doesn't just slap an used band-aid on the problem so the politicians can go home and sleep well that night knowing they earned 6% more of the vote next term? Or the opposite side politicians who will just drain more and more money from an already beleaguered people and tell them to stop whining and figure it out?
You know, with a Republican controlled congress and Trump as president, they passed prison and sentencing reform. They need a win now a lot more than they did then. Somebody put even vague policy proposals on these people's desks, see what happens.

The politicians sleep well that night because they think they helped. If they haven't helped, they aren't going to experience it, someone needs to tell them... which is the point of demonstration. I am valuing demonstration here. People saying a riot is necessary are implicitly saying demonstration doesn't work. That ignores every successful peaceful protest in history. Women didn't riot for suffrage, to the contrary their peaceful march was attacked by rioters who committed violence against them, and it brought their cause sympathy. I'd argue the same thing is happening right now, peaceful protests are being turned into riots by those who disagree with peace, but instead of directing more sympathy to those both the victims of oppression and of the current violence, we're having arguments about whether the two responses are equally legitimate. Fully aware of the callousness of calling a tragedy an opportunity, the talk about riots being justified is flushing opportunity down the hole. I honestly feel less resentment for the looting than I do for the rationalizing of the looting. Stealing clothes at least isn't an insult to generations of human progress.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
You're not always talking about this problem though. We talk about many problems here, and you make the same assessment of all of them. Any issue to you is evidence of government inadequacy, and any government inadequacy is Republican malfeasance. Every time.

You know, with a Republican controlled congress and Trump as president, they passed prison and sentencing reform. They need a win now a lot more than they did then. Somebody put even vague policy proposals on these people's desks, see what happens.

The politicians sleep well that night because they think they helped. If they haven't helped, they aren't going to experience it, someone needs to tell them... which is the point of demonstration. I am valuing demonstration here. People saying a riot is necessary are implicitly saying demonstration doesn't work. That ignores every successful peaceful protest in history. Women didn't riot for suffrage, to the contrary their peaceful march was attacked by rioters who committed violence against them, and it brought their cause sympathy. I'd argue the same thing is happening right now, peaceful protests are being turned into riots by those who disagree with peace, but instead of directing more sympathy to those both the victims of oppression and of the current violence, we're having arguments about whether the two responses are equally legitimate. Fully aware of the callousness of calling a tragedy an opportunity, the talk about riots being justified is flushing opportunity down the hole. I honestly feel less resentment for the looting than I do for the rationalizing of the looting. Stealing clothes at least isn't an insult to generations of human progress.
No, it is NOT always Republican Malfeasance, just much of it is Malfeasance because of the party's actual platform and agenda. I spoke just as harshly on the escapist about Obama's backdoor deals with Pharma, his allowing the military to carry out operations in allied and non allied nations without their knowledge or consent, about how the cost of basic goods necessary for survival ballooned in cost to the poor under his watch, and numerous other failings that he or democrats were responsible for, however, I am not willing to turn a blind eye to the extremely devastating Republican platform, policies and agenda at this time. Republican action and inaction ARE responsible for much of this, as they are the ones who blocked the reform that was actually needed here [AKA Bernie and Hillary's plans for police reform] That Republicans deemed anti police. We have to address the police unions protecting criminal cops in order to be able to make any changes for the good right now because the Police Unions are currently at the heart of the problem here. Police of course need better pay and benefits, however, it should never be up to the Union whether or not they are allowed to use violence against their own communities. Yes, often Police Unions are protected by both Democrats and Republicans, and yes, Unions should be there to protect workers rights, however, Unions protecting bad people has to stop or it will be their downfall. Republicans privatization of prisons counter any positive affect of any other acts right now. Until they deprivatize and outlaw privatization of all public services, this is going to be a serious issue.

Your rose tinted glasses view of how peaceful protests brought about the much needed changes seems to be missing a good amount of the details involved. "pussyhat protests" accomplished what exactly? Those were peaceful, but instead of protecting women's rights to their own bodies, we had the worst assault on them since ROE vs Wade in numerous GOP states. They have been shutting down clinics, adding all sorts of obstacles and wait periods. Women now have a more difficult time obtaining birth control, pap smears, access to STI testing and other women;s services as a result of the GOP's current agenda after the protests. It got so much worse, not better.

Peaceful protests are ignored. Talk is cheap, nothing would have happened here if there had not been " action" to keep it in the news. Hell, when the violence calms down, the news stops covering those protests all together and start talking about something else. They keep the cameras on the areas with the most " action". The politicians only act on the biggest story here. Breonna was murdered in March, and people have been protesting for months now, yet no action has been taken against the officers in her case, but due to the people burning cities to the ground, George Floyd managed to get officers arrested and charges brought in days. The peaceful protests that have been going on for months now for Breonna have resulted in NOTHING. How many people are even aware of the Horrifying details of Breonna's murder? Oh yea.. No one has been paying attention to that because the protests that were going on before this happened were not enough to have anything happen right?

Now, on this issue, as I address each issue on a case by case basis, what I have called for is not this impossible task you make it out to be. Oh and the looters have been shown primarily be organized crime, not protesters and they will exploit any situation regardless of what that situation is. No protesters should not be bullied into ceasing due to people trying to bully them into silence.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
The real “outside agitators” at these protests are not anarchist medics, mutual aid organizers, or black bloc guys, they are Nazis. They are the people ecstatic at the idea of the police cracking down and the military getting called in so their race war can begin. They are the genuine terrorist threat. Their bullshit has killed more people as part of propaganda about wearing masks (and the shootings of customer service workers that resulted from this) than have been killed by protesters. And in Pittsburgh, the police chief has a long history of working with them and is already letting them walk the streets and beat people with bats after curfew. These guys, and the police, are the real terrorist threat to you. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Reactions: lil devils x

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Want a big list of examples of police brutality that aren’t coming from me, a sentient mass of materialist fury? Here’s a list of recorded examples from a Never Trump conservative 1st ammendment lawyer, aka, my mirror opposite who in all other circumstances I would openly mock. He’s broken 200.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Just so you know, Dwarf’s video is bullshit and made by the same NYPD who are trying to blackmail their mayor into letting them kill people. The cops are the bad guys here.
Edit- oh, and the firework was a Proud Boy.
The MSNBC reporter hit by a firework you mean?

Or the guy dropping the thing that exploded and had it thrown back into his car?

I can buy the video of the bricks not being where the protests or rioted had happened but I it seems odd yet more bricks were found like that when evidence has been seen of them about. Also it seems dumb for Police to carry bricks round to try and Blackmail the Mayor when they could just plan a weapons cache somewhere without ammo and use that.

I can buy it wasn't near where things happened though some of the other claims seem a bit suspect there.

The real “outside agitators” at these protests are not anarchist medics, mutual aid organizers, or black bloc guys, they are Nazis. They are the people ecstatic at the idea of the police cracking down and the military getting called in so their race war can begin. They are the genuine terrorist threat. Their bullshit has killed more people as part of propaganda about wearing masks (and the shootings of customer service workers that resulted from this) than have been killed by protesters. And in Pittsburgh, the police chief has a long history of working with them and is already letting them walk the streets and beat people with bats after curfew. These guys, and the police, are the real terrorist threat to you. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.
See now you have evidence of that one so I'm listening.

Still it is only 3 and it's weird as hell White Supremacists are even organised enough to tie up their own jackboots most of the time they're incompetent idiots seemingly. Let alone organise people to start riots like this.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Your rose tinted glasses view of how peaceful protests brought about the much needed changes seems to be missing a good amount of the details involved. "pussyhat protests" accomplished what exactly? Those were peaceful, but instead of protecting women's rights to their own bodies, we had the worst assault on them since ROE vs Wade in numerous GOP states. They have been shutting down clinics, adding all sorts of obstacles and wait periods. Women now have a more difficult time obtaining birth control, pap smears, access to STI testing and other women;s services as a result of the GOP's current agenda after the protests. It got so much worse, not better.
The Women's March accomplished nothing because it was never meant to. It's a collective middle finger to the March for Life and Donald Trump, it has no specific goal.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Want a big list of examples of police brutality that aren’t coming from me, a sentient mass of materialist fury? Here’s a list of recorded examples from a Never Trump conservative 1st ammendment lawyer, aka, my mirror opposite who in all other circumstances I would openly mock. He’s broken 200.
A lot of them have more merit than others from what I can see in that thread.

E.g. the protester who makes contact with a bike cop being grabbed which from being a 3rd person it look like the Police officer over-reacting but from the Officers perspective all he realised was there was a hand reaching towards his belt. Which if he was armed could have been interpreted and him believing the protester was reaching to steal his weapon.

Or the Protester who leans onto the hood of a patrol vehicle moving like 5 MPH at most which is being framed as the SVU driving through a line of protesters.

People shouting "Hey he didn't do anything" to the police aren't going to help because there have been idiots before (years ago) who went up to officers and claimed they never saw anything and nothing happened only the people it happened too had video evidence of it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.