Funny events in anti-woke world

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
I worked retail, they already don't consider me to be a real human.
Likewise why I'm done trying to "be the bigger man" when dealing with conservatives.

No, there's not a limit on empathy. You're rationalizing why it's ok for you to hate people you disagree with.
Maybe not, but there is a limit on how many times a human being can let themselves be called a Communist, a cuck, a Bugman, a soyboy, an "America/Western Culture hater" and far worse before they stop trying to be civil with people who have no interest in being civil.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You don't have much empathy for actual real victims, so it's nothing but hypocritical shit you're spouting. You do even give a shit about the idiots that got themselves in to their own mess.
Here's the thing though. Why do you believe that I don't have much empathy for actual real victims? I don't think we've ever argued about actual victims, you just sort of drop that comment in should I ever defend someone that you don't think is a victim. You have made the jump from me empathizing with people you don't care for to believing I therefore don't empathize with the people you do, and that's a non-sequitur. You judge me entirely because you believe in the idea of limited empathy, you think that empathy for different groups can be mutually exclusive, and that's just not true. A person can put themselves in the place of anyone. You can empathize with police and also empathize with the victims of police brutality. You can empathize with the rich and still empathize with the poor. You can empathize with Democrats and empathize with Republicans. You can in fact care about everyone. You assume that if I care about the rich, or the powerful, or the Republican, that means I don't care about other groups, and that's not true.
Maybe not, but there is a limit on how many times a human being can let themselves be called a Communist, a cuck, a Bugman, a soyboy, an "America/Western Culture hater" and far worse before they stop trying to be civil with people who have no interest in being civil.
And that's reasonable. If someone gives you reason to resent them personally, I'm not going to fault you for resenting them. My issue is with the idea that there's only so much empathy to go around. If feeling for one group means the opposite group gets treated as sub-human, violence is the inevitable outcome no matter who you choose to care for.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Laughing at death and suffering is a very evil thing to do. If you do this, you should take a step back and reevaluate whether or not you are really "the good guys" that you think you are.
This is the sort of line that comes straight out of the mouths of people who a few hours later, unthinkingly or deliberately, voice support of policies that kill thousands of people. It is a hypocritical, posturing vacuity: appearing to respect life without actually doing anything to save lives.

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
This is the sort of line that comes straight out of the mouths of people who a few hours later, unthinkingly or deliberately, voice support of policies that kill thousands of people. It is a hypocritical, posturing vacuity: appearing to respect life without actually doing anything to save lives.
You're saying that condemning grave-dancing is hypocritical because you predict that I'll say something to contradict it in the future?

Human beings have limited amounts of empathy.
I don't believe you.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You're saying that condemning grave-dancing is hypocritical because you predict that I'll say something to contradict it in the future?
No, I'm saying that the true measure of someone's respect for life is a great deal more than them showing a spot of glee at idiots getting themselves hospitalised.

Some people with a sense of schadenfreude have more compassion in their little finger than a host of morality snobs who think everyone should say respectful about the dead whilst also thinking the poor don't deserve affordable healthcare, there needs to be more capital punishment and there's nothing more glorious than a good foreign war.

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
No, I'm saying that the true measure of someone's respect for life is a great deal more than them showing a spot of glee at idiots getting themselves hospitalised.
I don't think I believe you. If someone truly respects life, their words will reflect that.

Same as with other things. If you truly respect women, you won't talk about them as lesser when you're "alone with the boys". If you truly respect other races, you won't talk about them as lesser when you're among your own "kind". Similarly, if you truly respect life, you won't grave-dance on the internet.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I don't think I believe you. If someone truly respects life, their words will reflect that.
But do they?

The party that is against abortion due to the sanctity of life is also the party that wants to take health care away from poor people so when they get sick they'll go bankrupt and die. They party that claims to be pro life is also insisting on being a useless burden trying its hardest to ensure their country can't tackle a pandemic and that people will die from it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The party that is against abortion due to the sanctity of life is also the party that wants to take health care away from poor people so when they get sick they'll go bankrupt and die. They party that claims to be pro life is also insisting on being a useless burden trying its hardest to ensure their country can't tackle a pandemic and that people will die from it.
It's because they're not pro-life; they're pro-control. They want to decide who lives and who dies.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
But do they?

You know how, in some movies, the hero will risk his life to save the life of the villain, usually when he's about to fall off a cliff?
That's because the hero respects all life. Even the life of the person who is trying to kill him and others. Even the villain must be saved.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You know when you have this little floaty bit drifting in front of your face, you blow it away with zero effort, but then it just wafts back into your sight?

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No, there's not a limit on empathy. You're rationalizing why it's ok for you to hate people you disagree with.
I haven't had a dream in years. I worked at a small business that provided critical support for several other small businesses that couldn't exist without our help, both of which run by assholes that refused to do the bare minimum in helping me stay alive and healthy.

Until I got laid off from my job two weeks ago because it's circling the drain. I've started having dreams again. I missed them.

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
I haven't had a dream in years. I worked at a small business that provided critical support for several other small businesses that couldn't exist without our help, both of which run by assholes that refused to do the bare minimum in helping me stay alive and healthy.

Until I got laid off from my job two weeks ago because it's circling the drain. I've started having dreams again. I missed them.
I read the entire article. This doesn't describe what happens when "you run out of empathy", this describes a condition brought about by continually stressful and emotionally draining work. It seems to be called compassion fatigue because it is specific to those whose work involves caring for others, to differentiate it from just normal work burnout. Of course, it can explain how some people have such a callous disregard for human life, they are simply experiencing mood swings or detachment. If this is they case, they need to treat their condition, perhaps even seeking professional help.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You know how, in some movies, the hero will risk his life to save the life of the villain, usually when he's about to fall off a cliff?
That's because the hero respects all life. Even the life of the person who is trying to kill him and others. Even the villain must be saved.
And then the villain betrays the hero at the last second, giving the hero a socially acceptable reason to kill the villain, and the audience cheers.

Yes, I've seen movies before. In this case I'm the audience, not the hero. You really thought you had something, huh

Bartholomew

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2021
And then the villain betrays the hero at the last second, giving the hero a socially acceptable reason to kill the villain, and the audience cheers.
Or, in some cases, the hero succeeds in saving the villain, so both survive.
In other cases, the villain sabotages the hero's attempt at saving him, and willingly goes to his death.

Which hero do you want to be (or do you want to cheer for)? The one who tries their best to save the life of the villain, or one who is just looking for a "socially acceptable reason" to kill others?

Some of you are going to great lengths to justify grave-dancing, and not a single one of you have condemned it. Is this just the state of the world now, or is it just this site that has become so callous?

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Or, in some cases, the hero succeeds in saving the villain, so both survive.
In other cases, the villain sabotages the hero's attempt at saving him, and willingly goes to his death.

Which hero do you want to be (or do you want to cheer for)? The one who tries their best to save the life of the villain, or one who is just looking for a "socially acceptable reason" to kill others?
I'm in the audience, cackling when the villain dies for their own hubris, laughing at the hero's corny one-liner

Anyway, you've signaled that you're very virtuous, we all get it.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Unfortunately, in the real world we have to live in and deal with, it turns out there are both people who lie and people who say things they don't know are true.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX