Funny events in anti-woke world

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Edit: While I recognize that Stalin probably wasn't as evil as Hitler, there comes a point when the number of unnecessary and innocent deaths just make the nuances white noise. There is only so much blood you can drown in. Bush might be on the lower end of this scale but the amount of blood on his hands would fill the White House
Bush also didn't do anything like lead a country to defeating Hitler in a world war.

I don't know what Kucinich introduced, but I'm actually quite confused by the fact that Bush wasn't impeached for lying to congress following the revelations about the non-existence of W.M.D.'s in Iraq.
Nancy Pelosi explains, I guess:

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Bush also didn't do anything like lead a country to defeating Hitler in a world war.
I don't think Stalin can get much credit for that. It was just one completely insane authoritarian state against another, and any country with the bad fortune to be um....''liberated'' from the Nazi's by Stalin probably wasn't in for a brighter future than before.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I don't think Stalin can get much credit for that. It was just one completely insane authoritarian state against another,
This is a rather scattered thought.

and any country with the bad fortune to be um....''liberated'' from the Nazi's by Stalin probably wasn't in for a brighter future than before.
And this is mildly horrifying if meant seriously with an accurate understanding of history.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
This is a rather scattered thought.
Is it? Stalin, Hitler...one and the same really. Both dealt with any real or imagined threat the same way. Both are guilty massive purges and genocides.

Europeans have reasons to be grateful to the likes of rooseveld or Churchil, but anyone who had their country liberated by the soviets proceeded to have preciously little to be thankful about.

And this is mildly horrifying if meant seriously with an accurate understanding of history.
Somehow I don't think eastern Europe agrees. Somehow I suspect they find there to be little difference between Germany or Russia terrorizing them.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Somehow I don't think eastern Europe agrees. Somehow I suspect they find there to be little difference between Germany or Russia terrorizing them.
I think you're missing a key differentiator here. With Hitler, the people were crushed under the state's boot for the glory of the Nazi party. With Stalin, the people were crushed under the state's boot for the glory of Communism.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I think you're missing a key differentiator here. With Hitler, the people were crushed under the state's boot for the glory of the Nazi party. With Stalin, the people were crushed under the state's boot for the glory of Communism.
both sidesing the holocaust is pretty disgusting

Reactions: MrCalavera

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Just ignoring the Stalin vs Hitler arguments brewing, I'm complete shocked that the modern right has any warm feelings for the Bush era right to begin with. Dude led the charge with the curtailing of modern rights and freedoms.

PATRIOT, free speech zones enforced by militarized police, travel restrictions, Real ID, TSA security theatre and no fly lists, mass cancellation of people with the wrong political opinion, massive wars based on lies with the resultant war crimes, massive corrupti while privatizing industries, etc

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Just ignoring the Stalin vs Hitler arguments brewing, I'm complete shocked that the modern right has any warm feelings for the Bush era right to begin with. Dude led the charge with the curtailing of modern rights and freedoms.
PATRIOT, free speech zones enforced by militarized police, travel restrictions, Real ID, TSA security theatre and no fly lists, mass cancellation of people with the wrong political opinion, massive wars based on lies with the resultant war crimes, massive corrupti while privatizing industries, etc
I'm not at all shocked. Those are all things the modern right strongly desires.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
GWB is not much favoured by the current US right as far as I can see, but the reasons for that are the Iraq/Afghanistan occupations turning sour and the financial crash. These were failures, and failures are not to be tolerated. Thus also perhaps a major contributor to the rise of Trump: when traditional Republicanism failed, so a load of them moved to something else.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
GWB is not much favoured by the current US right as far as I can see, but the reasons for that are the Iraq/Afghanistan occupations turning sour and the financial crash. These were failures, and failures are not to be tolerated. Thus also perhaps a major contributor to the rise of Trump: when traditional Republicanism failed, so a load of them moved to something else.
That they distanced themselves from Bush seems more about them needing a scapegoat than actually having a problem with Bush or his policies. Bush seems to be the only Republican who paid a political price for the war on terror. Most other Republicans who supported Bush went on with their careers. Even Trump with his performative distaste for war gave that particular breed of Republicans rank and favor, up to John Bolton.

There doesn't seem to have been a reckoning within the Republican party against the forces that pushed for war. They were made subservient to Trump and the business elites, but they're still around and if they're not named Bush they tend to be held in some esteem.