Your video game hot take(s) thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The whole thing probably springs from one primary source: The infamous "downgrade" of Watch_Dogs. While the gaming community's fixation on graphics to the microscopic scale is ridiculous, certainly, the industry's concurrent focus on them uber alles means that taking away promised graphical fidelity- especially in an underhanded way- comes across as false advertising.
It's happening again with the graphics whores. Speaking of GTA VI, I'm not surprised at the unreasonable reactions, nor do I have any interest. There are too many better games to play than GTA VI.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's happening again with the graphics whores. Speaking of GTA VI, I'm not surprised at the unreasonable reactions, nor do I have any interest. There are too many better games to play than GTA VI.

Of the reasons to be mad at GTA and Rockstar, having a Female protagonist seems like the dumbest one. Fuck, Saints Row has been doing this for a while now(well, character creator but all the GTA games have preset characters).

On a completely unrelated note, I want Atlus to port Radiant Historia to the Switch, PC, etc. And everytime I see Atlus porting an older game and it's it's inevitably Persona, I can't help but wander what Atlus has against Radiant Historia. Unless I'm the only one who liked that game for having a cool premise that was fun to mess around with.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Of the reasons to be mad at GTA and Rockstar, having a Female protagonist seems like the dumbest one. Fuck, Saints Row has been doing this for a while now(well, character creator but all the GTA games have preset characters).
Saints Row doesn't have the fratbro bonafides that GTA does. GTA fans who complain about this probably just want women to keep being a thing they beat up to make money pop out of.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Saints Row doesn't have the fratbro bonafides that GTA does. GTA fans who complain about this probably just want women to keep being a thing they beat up to make money pop out of.
Honestly, given the cultural climate over the past several years since GTA V launched, there's a LOT for Rockstar to chew on for content, i.e.: Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ+ issues, school shootings, a farce of a president and his subsequent attempt at re-election, COVID, etc. There's a ton Rockstar could easily spoof with their trademark in-your-face irreverence that gets people talking; my money's on the idea that a female protagonist will be the smallest of talking points when GTA VI comes out... sometime between the next couple of years and the year we colonize Mars.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, given the cultural climate over the past several years since GTA V launched, there's a LOT for Rockstar to chew on for content, i.e.: Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ+ issues, school shootings, a farce of a president and his subsequent attempt at re-election, COVID, etc. There's a ton Rockstar could easily spoof with their trademark in-your-face irreverence that gets people talking; my money's on the idea that a female protagonist will be the smallest of talking points when GTA VI comes out... sometime between the next couple of years and the year we colonize Mars.
I highly doubt the social commentary and satire is going to be that good, nor interesting. Let's be real here: none of that stuff has been good since GTA IV and its expansions. With the satire hitting peak at GTA Vice City.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
True, but remember how fiercely the anti-political-correctness crowd will attack anything that even smacks of "SJWs comin' fer muh games".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Now this is something I can get behind. Finally, hot take that actually makes sense from Yahtzee.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Assassin's Creed 4 is a game of two halves, and I think that the Assassin's Creed half is as fun as the Sid Meier's Pirates half.
That IS a hot take. The Assassin’s Creed half of AC4 is largely regarded as more of the same from earlier instalments of the franchise (as expected) whereas the pirating half was a much unexpected, needed and welcome change of pace. Personally, I found the AC half a same-y slog, and spent most of my time trying to get back to the pirating bits. I even got in on the mobile app side of it, pirating from my desk at work whilst away from my console. I’ve not touched an AC since AC4 because none of them outwardly offered anything more than the boilerplate AC experience, but in different eras, and there's a metric fuck-ton of them.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
There is this annoying trend in a lot of sci-fi fiction, not just videogames, where they have like either a superior (more intelligent/evolved) version of the human race, or a humanoid species that are meant to be a stand in for just a more superior version of the human race, yet they are almost always portrayed as near emotionless, dry, unreactive, robotic, cause obviously if you're super duper intelligent, there's just no time for expressing emotion. None! And it's getting pretty dull and predictable now. This is science fiction, god damnit...if you can fill up your alien races with nowt but different coloured skin "hotties" who coincidentally resemble Earth human "hotties", then I'm sure you can at least make the super intelligent humans/non-humans a little bit more exciting and inspirational than chronically depressed robots. Hell, psychopaths mimic the appearance of emotional reactivity to maintain a superficial level of charm: it gets them what they want a lot faster than talking about logic in detatched monotone.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is this annoying trend in a lot of sci-fi fiction, not just videogames, where they have like either a superior (more intelligent/evolved) version of the human race, or a humanoid species that are meant to be a stand in for just a more superior version of the human race, yet they are almost always portrayed as near emotionless, dry, unreactive, robotic, cause obviously if you're super duper intelligent, there's just no time for expressing emotion. None! And it's getting pretty dull and predictable now. This is science fiction, god damnit...if you can fill up your alien races with nowt but different coloured skin "hotties" who coincidentally resemble Earth human "hotties", then I'm sure you can at least make the super intelligent humans/non-humans a little bit more exciting and inspirational than chronically depressed robots. Hell, psychopaths mimic the appearance of emotional reactivity to maintain a superficial level of charm: it gets them what they want a lot faster than talking about logic in detatched monotone.
It's why I love shows like Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo (specifically Universe when they go into space for the second half), and Space Dandy. Rick and Morty even made fun of this tired 😴 trope and cliche. The shows I mentioned have varieties of different species with different personalities and charisma.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
The remaster of Goldeneye is a mistake. Not because the game is bad, it was awesome and I ( and I assume many others) have very fond memories of playing the absolute shit out of it, but because games have changed so much since the early days of console shooters. The people who played Goldeneye back in the day are remembering it as a groundbreaking and revolutionizing game, but replaying the game is likely to tarnish their memories. Nostalgia and rose-colored glasses aren't going to be enough to hide Goldeneye's age. And new players are not going to know/understand just how fresh Goldeneye was at release, they're just going to see tired cliches and worn out tropes. Like people watching The Matirx for the first time in this day and age will have been exposed to so many parodies of the bullet dodge scene that the original has no weight or meaning.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The remaster of Goldeneye is a mistake. Not because the game is bad, it was awesome and I (and I assume many others) have very fond memories of playing the absolute shit out of it, but because games have changed so much since the early days of console shooters. The people who played Goldeneye back in the day are remembering it as a groundbreaking and revolutionizing game, but replaying the game is likely to tarnish their memories. Nostalgia and rose-colored glasses aren't going to be enough to hide Goldeneye's age. And new players are not going to know/understand just how fresh Goldeneye was at release, they're just going to see tired cliches and worn out tropes.
I assume they're gonna update the controls, similar to how Perfect Dark and most of the games on the Rare Replay have updated controls (no control customization though). It could work depending on how much effort is put into the games. What makes it more complicated as there's two different versions. The Switch is getting the original N64 port w/ the multiplayer, while the XBOX ONE/SERIES version is getting a 1-to-1 recreation, but no online mp. The game will be free of charge on XBOX consoles, if you have the Rare Replay collection.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/13/23162373/goldeneye-007-xbox-release-remaster-nintendo-switch

Like people watching The Matirx for the first time in this day and age will have been exposed to so many parodies of the bullet dodge scene that the original has no weight or meaning.
At least the first movie has well done fight scenes and choreography, even if it the acting is a little dry in some spots, the romance is not good, and the stoicism does nothing for me (I get that is the point, but at least the original has better attempts at humor). The sequels only got worse with all of these to varying degrees, with only The Animatrix actually doing anything useful or more interesting. Dark City and Drive (1997) are still better than The Matrix, so there.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Once you've developed logic, emotions are just an evolutionary holdover. I'm not even joking, just consider how many problems there are in the world, and then think of how many would be solved if people's emotions weren't always getting in the way.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Once you've developed logic, emotions are just an evolutionary holdover. I'm not even joking, just consider how many problems there are in the world, and then think of how many would be solved if people's emotions weren't always getting in the way.
It’s highly doubtful that modern society would ever allow or support the kind of pragmatism that would facilitate that kind of change though.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It’s highly doubtful that modern society would ever allow or support the kind of pragmatism that would facilitate that kind of change though.
Especially since you'd have to discard things like Religion which are more emotional then logical and that's never gonna happen. Hell, a lot of people use "Atheist" as a four letter word, at least in the US, that's how ingrained it is.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
, a lot of people use "Atheist" as a four letter word, at least in the US, that's how ingrained it is.
It doesn’t help that a lot of atheists, online at least, seem to act like smug, condescending dick-bags towards people who do believe in a higher power.

Granted, those could just be the atheist version of religious nutjobs and most atheists might be chill people. But public perception is that atheists are pricks that mock everything to do with any and every religion.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
It doesn’t help that a lot of atheists, online at least, seem to act like smug, condescending dick-bags towards people who do believe in a higher power.

Granted, those could just be the atheist version of religious nutjobs and most atheists might be chill people. But public perception is that atheists are pricks that mock everything to do with any and every religion.
It is the problem that the jerks stand out the most in any group. In the US people are nominally assumed to be Christian, so a jackass Christian can be seen as the exception and not the rule but since there are a comparatively smaller number of atheists it probably looks like the rule to some people. Honestly you probably wouldn't even know someone was one unless they make a big deal about it aka being a Jackass.

A couple months ago I happened to mention to my dad I was an atheist and had been one for at least a decade and he was just shocked by it. Then I remembered I'd never actually mentioned it to him before because it just never came up and I don't advertise it. So that was weird.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A couple months ago I happened to mention to my dad I was an atheist and had been one for at least a decade and he was just shocked by it.
He should learn to live with it by now.

Then I remembered I'd never actually mentioned it to him before because it just never came up and I don't advertise it. So that was weird.
Understandable, and you did not do anything wrong. Maybe you could have told him earler, but it does not matter now. He should be proud for the man you are now.

Nintendo should just go ahead and re-release all of their 1st party Wii & Wii U Games on Switch. They have no reason not do so. Not everyone has their Wii/Wii U anymore. Speaking of Wii games, I still stand by and say MadWorld is the most unique game on the system. Unique aesthetics that have yet to replicated, unique soundtrack, unique character designs, and unique level designs. The combat while not having the most depth and is basic without the traps, weapons, and unique kills, is visceral and interesting to look at. Platinum needs to port this to the Switch too!

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor is the best rail shooter on Wii and needs a Switch port. The only thing that sucks is the game is hard even on Easy Mode.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
He should learn to live with it by now.

Understandable, and you did not do anything wrong. Maybe you could have told him earler, but it does not matter now. He should be proud for the man you are now.
Yeah, I'm the same person I have been for a while now. The only way it's different is that I revealed my outlook is different then it was like 10-15 years ago. It wasn't even a sudden thing. I was christian in name only 15 years ago and over that period I realized there was no reason to bother with the pretense. I just didn't announce to the world that I decided atheism reflected my POV more then nominally Christian did because I never felt the need to.

Reactions: BrawlMan