What are you currently playing?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Went back digging through what I can get from PS+ and installed a couple of platformers: Hat in Time and Sackboy. Dunno which one I'll try first. I think Hat came out first, so probably that one. It looks too cute which, depending on my mood, can hit me just right or just be annoying, we'll see.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Just finished my first playthrough of Persona 4: Golden. I am...torn about whether I like it more, less, or on about the same level as Persona 5 Royal. On the one hand, the story is absolutely fantastic, and there is no such thing as a character that doesn't have at least a bit of depth to them. The gameplay, though...I dunno, I think Persona 5 really did a good job of refining the rougher edges of Persona 4, especially the mechanics to get new Personas. I very much preferred the negotiation system in P5 to what P4 does, where the alternative of fusing Personae is to get them by pure luck within a mechanic that only appears by pure luck. You can influence how often that mechanic appears to a degree, but only to a degree.

Yeah, the Shuffle Mechanic is really my biggest sticking point with Persona 4. That and the final dungeon in Golden is a bit bullshitty, and you can only get the true/Golden ending if you choose every dialogue option right in a specific dialogue tree towards the end of the game.
P4 is a 2008 game in its core, even with the golden upgrades the main systems are like 15 years old, not exactly fair to compare it to p5. It's a literal ps2 game lol.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
P4 is a 2008 game in its core, even with the golden upgrades the main systems are like 15 years old, not exactly fair to compare it to p5. It's a literal ps2 game lol.
Fair enough, but I've played PS2 and PS1 games with less annoying mechanics than the Shuffle Mechanic system, and that's my only real issue with the game in terms of gameplay.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Stuck on the very final boss of Rogue Legacy 2. Starting to get annoyed. For all the procedural bullet hell shenanigans that occurs in the rest of the game nothing is quite as difficult as this dude and his barrages of bullshit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I decided to do Boss Rush, Ultra Difficulty on Final Vendetta and beat with Claire for the first time on said mode. Now I'm done.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Ugh, my attempt with 3D platformer last night Hat in Time reminded me why I don't like 3D platformers lol.

Eh.. I don't really know what to play. I think because it's like 90 degrees I'd rather just sit in front of the air conditioner not moving.

Final Fantasy 10 is on PS+ and, hm, that might be interesting coming after FF16.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Gave up on Code Vein, which is a dispiritingly bland experience marred by excessive backtracking, samey environments, and combat that never feels sufficiently definite.

Metal Wolf Chaos on the other hand is great fun, apart from being slightly let down by some confusing map layouts and cutscenes interrupting gameplay at inconvenient times.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finally beat Rogue Legacy 2. I'm still not convinced every attack is always 100% avoidable, especially with the homing barrage of spunk. But it took me an embarrassing amount of time to realize the boss essentially flips between two modes of attack, like a day/night cycle, each with its own arsenal of attacks and behavior. And as soon as I did the whole thing didn't feel as wild and unpredictable. I was also reading some attacks completely wrong (you have to stand inside the blinking red AoE to survive it - crazy!). Duh.

So there's the homing barrage of spunk, the homing projectiles you have to bounce on and dash through to vanish, the advancing walls of death you have to bounce up and down and dash through, the other advancing walls of death you have to dash through, the floor is lava (bounce on these other attacks for a while), the crossbones of death attack, the jump and throw molten rock in the air attack, the jump and buzzsaws crisscross the floor attack, the explosion of fire you have to avoid by being on the center (see above), the other explosion you have to avoid by being on the outside and then dash through the wave...

Ultimately what saved me was a completely randomized loadout of stat and buff relics, not even the best roll I've had. Even wasted space with a revive relic I didn't even need (and probably wouldn't have worked anyway - those 25% odds never went my way).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ugh, my attempt with 3D platformer last night Hat in Time reminded me why I don't like 3D platformers lol.

Eh.. I don't really know what to play. I think because it's like 90 degrees I'd rather just sit in front of the air conditioner not moving.

Final Fantasy 10 is on PS+ and, hm, that might be interesting coming after FF16.
I don't know how you are with most platformers, but Hat In Time ain't that difficult to work with. I know there's a challenge, but it's really accessible. For all I know, you might have depth perception issues. I know it sucks when it happens to a gamer.

I did a few rounds of DMC 5 last night. A little rusty and I got to get back in the swing of things.

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Definitely one of the good ones.

----

Last month I have been playing through Death Stranding, a game that gripped me more than I initially expected.

All round a great experience.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
ACT OF WAR : SOMETHING DRAMA SOMETHING.

It's the FMVest TomClanciest Urbanest Wonkiest RTS ever, and for every 40 seconds of gameplay, you get rewarded with one additional hour of that :

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
ACT OF WAR : SOMETHING DRAMA SOMETHING.

It's the FMVest TomClanciest Urbanest Wonkiest RTS ever, and for every 40 seconds of gameplay, you get rewarded with one additional hour of that :

It's just that gameplay gets in the way of Tom Clancy telling you that protests are always just tools of terrorists and America needs to be everywhere at all times!

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Got to my first ending of Fear & Hunger, which took less than 5 hours, of which like 1,5 was retreading the same places to try to get a save spot to work. This is obviously just the tip of the iceberg, and I'm definitely heading back to delve deeper. But I really appreciate that the game lets you just go "nah, I'm good" after the initial goal is reached, and doesn't railroad you into going further. There are like 12 different endings, and I'm curious to find out more.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Tried out Inscryption and it's awesome in too many ways to count.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Crisis Wing - A Fun T-16/PCE style SHMUP, but it can be frustrating. I am stuck at the final boss, and the check point is annoying as you have annoying missile shooting bullets to dodge before facing it, and the boss is a 2 phase fight. Lost all of your lives, well have fun with that annoying checkpoint again. There are bullet elements, so it kind of losses some of the 16-bit old-school factor for me, as most games from that era didn't have that big of a bullet. hell. The other two bonus modes are cool. Boss Rush is what you expect, but I find the Time Trial addicting. It's basically the Caravan/Score Attack Mode you would see in most TurboGrafx SHMUPs.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
After a very long break I got into Danganronpa 2 again. The first murder has occurred.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Tactics Ogre Reborn, it's not my fist time playing Let Us Cling Together but the first time had been on the PSP version and this has a LOT of mechanical changes in addition to voice acting, I will say I'm not a fan of the weird filter they used on the pixel-art which you can't turn off, but everything else is kinda good, like the main reason why I didn't finish the PSP version is because You have a lot of options for builds and at some point I started just grinding to experiment with builds instead of progressing the admittedly really interesting story, because I'm dumb and I love experimenting with builds, and in tactics games that let you get levels in different classes to unlock different abilities to basically make your own custom class I get distracted really easily.
So anyway the mechanical changes they made that make it easier to advance in this version aren't necessarily better, because technically you have less options in this than the PSP version (Which I don't even know if it was the OG version, I think maybe the OG version was on PS1), but the game is still fun and very tactical but also has some measures to make sure you don't ruin the story by grinding, which is kinda good, a lot of these Tactics RPGs can be trivialized by grinding and this kinda can't, because you have basically 2 relevant levels, your units individual level and your faction level, and basically no unit can exceed your faction level, so no matter how much you grind you'll never be over levelled for the story, there's also the thing that units at max EXP don't get any at the end of battle but still earn EXP that goes to the rest of the party, so it's easy to level up under levelled units, but yeah, this means that the story can remain challenging even if you take your time to grind, but even if you don't, you know all fights are winnable as long as you are around 3 or 4 levels below the Faction level, they're just harder.

Point is that while I can see people not liking the changes, there's no doubt that they make the game easier to get a grasp on and since there are less systems to invest time on and only a limitted window in which you can improve it, they make it so that even if you are investing as much time as possible into those systems you end up advancing the story quite fast compared to the old one where you could just grind forever, this also at least not where I am in the story, has no way of grinding for money (Unless you can sell EXP, which I haven't tried, but you do get EXP on your inventory) which you could in the old version, anyways, I'd say this is easily better for getting into Tactics Ogre than the PSP version and I'm already further along in the story than in my PSP file, it's also more comfortable to play on a computer than in a tiny PSP screen though, since I play for long stretches of time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Crisis Wing - A Fun T-16/PCE style SHMUP, but it can be frustrating. I am stuck at the final boss, and the check point is annoying as you have annoying missile shooting bullets to dodge before facing it, and the boss is a 2 phase fight. Lost all of your lives, well have fun with that annoying checkpoint again. There are bullet elements, so it kind of losses some of the 16-bit old-school factor for me, as most games from that era didn't have that big of a bullet. hell. The other two bonus modes are cool. Boss Rush is what you expect, but I find the Time Trial addicting. It's basically the Caravan/Score Attack Mode you would see in most TurboGrafx SHMUPs.
Apparently, most of the achievements/trophies for this game are super easy to get. There's no achievement for beating the game.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Lost Odyssey

Picked this up for a fiver at a garage sales this morning, pulled my 360 out of storage. I'm not far in of course, but it's pretty decent so far. Sorta PS2 era jrpg gameplay, but with a bit better graphics. Kind of slow paced perhaps, and lacking the quality of life stuff you often find in modern jrpgs. Best thing tho is ironically the least interactive thing about it, which are the dream you can find, these text short stories about the main character's past. They're well written and paint a pretty bleak picture of how much it would suck to be immortal.

Also there's an old Unskippable episode about it. The nostalgia.