Funny events in anti-woke world

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
...Really, dude? By your own account, you share the sentiment that the comment he was reacting to is "insane and offensive to anyone with half a brain", but you're still trying to paint BrawlMan's disgust with it as a failing, as simping? As "treating them like dolls you gracefully shower with praise and support"? As "being a poser for women online"? Is it really so hard to own up to the fact that you were too hasty to be dismissive and condescending towards a view you actually empathized with once you understood the context?
It wasn't towards the view. It was how he wrote it down. I consider detached comments towards women you don't know, even if benign, to be weird, and in this case funny. I called it simping because I thought it would create a bit of funny banter.

I knew the context because Trump has ragged on the Women's soccer team and Megan Rapinoe before (there was a piece on Finnish sports news about it some time ago). I admit that as a joke it flew over some heads (like Rapinoe's penalty shot) and this exchange afterwards has been a waste of time that I caused. Sorry for that.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
When you worship a rogue demagogue only for him to think you're a dirty peasant.
1691529047778.png

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zwarte Piet?
While I'm sure there's lots of European countries with old racist traditionals/celebrations, I'd wager that is indeed the one he meant.

By the way, I think Zwarte Piet has in large part been relegated to the bin of history in The Netherlands, and kids (whom this holiday was meant for) really haven't given a shit that he's gone. So much for ruining a childrens holiday by not being "traditional".

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
First of all you write a lot of comments and thus some are bound to be relevant to me sometimes.
Recently it hasn't been some of the time, but whatever.

In this case I find funny that you wrote a comment like those people (Trump and the US Women's soccer team) were in the same room as you. Moreover, I think the actual distance is so vast between any comment here and those people in the real world that you can't treat them like actual people. And thus it sounds ridiculous.
I know they ain't in the actual goddamn room! Stop pointing out the obvious! It's called having empathy for Christ's sake! Nothing more and nothing less. If that sounds ridiculous to you, that's a you problem. Not my fault.

And I like to challenge your opinion every once in a while because especially on movies our taste is very different, and I find your way of describing it (for example you often call something else a better adaptation than the actual adaptation) entertaining and maybe, possibly somewhat creative.
Movies amd entertainment are one thing, but genuine people are another thing. Especially if they're getting hate and ire from a racist and sexist jackass with nothing better to do in his life, and make everybody on the planet as miserable as he is.

Naturally, you don't get it.
Glad you're talking about yourself. Funny thing is that you never once explained it to me. Not once when you had any opportunity to do so. As far as I'm concerned, what they did is blackface and is racism. It doesn't matter if it's the United States, the UK, some part of Europe, Switzerland, or whatever. When you're putting on black face like that, what else is it supposed to be? They're not being funny nor are they being "ironic". If they want to treat Africans and African cultural actual respect, that is definitely not the way to do it, because black and brown people from all across the globe are not getting any benefit from that. Only the racist and the ancestors of racist and the prejudice benefit from it. You don't know shit. Either say something and elaborate on what I "don't get", or don't even bother talking to me again. Cuz I will happily throw you on ignore without any regret.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
virtue signaling
That's a weird way to spell "empathy", but you do you.

When you worship a rogue demagogue only for him to think you're a dirty peasant.
View attachment 9399
Trump has openly stated that he wishes his supporters were "classier". But hey, that's just one more thing for them to keep themselves deliberately blind to in their insane belief that he's "the champion of the little people".

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
While I'm sure there's lots of European countries with old racist traditionals/celebrations, I'd wager that is indeed the one he meant.

By the way, I think Zwarte Piet has in large part been relegated to the bin of history in The Netherlands, and kids (whom this holiday was meant for) really haven't given a shit that he's gone. So much for ruining a childrens holiday by not being "traditional".
He's not entirely gone yet. More like slowly getting phased out, with the process taking a bit slower in rural areas. That some anti black pete protesters had to flee for their lives last year shows the discussion isn't quite over yet.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Seems like us down south are having a harder time letting go of Zwarte Piet. Or rather, parents and older folks who grow up with him are. Much like yours, I'm pretty sure our kids don't particularly care about him either, aside from an association with Sinterklaas, aka a day for candy treats and presents.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Trafficking Survivors and Advocates Are Being Harassed by ‘Sound of Freedom’ Fans

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epv...y-sound-of-freedom-fans?utm_source=reddit.com
I really hate the far right and the easily swayed automaton imbeciles. These idiots always stoop to a new low. They don't care about the actual victims or advocates of trafficking. These fuckers only care about their own warped conspiracies about how these things actually work, and whatever makes their egos feel better. I wouldn't mind kicking them in groin or knee bashing them in the face over and over again, if it got them to shut up and leave good people alone.

Get this fucker out of my state, now!

As always, Maher can go fuck himself.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The numbnuts just kept expanding their definition of "woke" to include "anything the people we hate do". Even their most zealous warriors can't keep up a "war on everything" forever.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
These idiots always stoop to a new low. They don't care about the actual victims or advocates of trafficking. These fuckers only care about their own warped conspiracies about how these things actually work, and whatever makes their egos feel better.
Sounds like a good description of those mobilizing against a movie because the people they don't like enjoyed it.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Sounds like a good description of those mobilizing against a movie because the people they don't like enjoyed it.
I suggest reading the article to get a clue of just why this movie's fans are so hated.

The training typically starts with a discussion of the industry’s “myths and misconceptions and what trafficking actually looks like in our neighborhood in Charleston,” said Wehunt, who founded the nonprofit in 2019 and serves as its executive director. But some of the latest crop of potential volunteers had recently signed up after seeing Sound of Freedom, the surprise blockbuster film based on the purported work of Tim Ballard, the founder of the anti-trafficking group Operation Underground Railroad.

One potential volunteer simply didn’t buy Wehunt’s matter-of-fact descriptions of how sex trafficking often occurs, and the two started to argue, according to Wehunt, with the volunteer insisting that people were frequently trafficked after being kidnapped, which, in reality, is an exceedingly rare occurrence, according to the available global data.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I suggest reading the article to get a clue of just why this movie's fans are so hated.
I did. You may want to read more closely. The program already began by addressing myths and misconceptions before this movie. I doubt Sound of Freedom is any less accurate than Taken, and I guarantee they've had misguided volunteers for as long as they've operated.

The movie is supported or opposed because it was made into a political rallying point. That is all. Everything else is rationalization.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Do I get an apology too or is it just him?
It was a general apology.
Funny thing is that you never once explained it to me.
I said it clearly that in a carnival setting you can have a character like Zwarte Piet. I won't elaborate further on that topic because It's not worth it. I disagree with the anti-racist mindset that you have about it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It was a general apology.

I said it clearly that in a carnival setting you can have a character like Zwarte Piet. I won't elaborate further on that topic because It's not worth it. I disagree with the anti-racist mindset that you have about it.
I appreciate the general apology. For the record: carnival setting or not, black face is black face. The fact that's in a carnival setting where there are children, only makes it worse. All they are doing is teaching another young age that okay to mock somebody because of the color of their skin, treat them like less than animals, or second class citizens that's what black face was always about. That we as blacks and Africans can never ever match up to the "master race". The same applies to brown face and yellow face too. All you have been doing is another form of it's tradition and making excuses for racism. I will not hear anymore; end of the discussion. Don't ever talk to me or respond back about this ever again to me either. I'll be hearing none of it.

Last edited: