Super straight on tiktok

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Anyone who tries to use the "two wrongs don't make things right" on people who are abused or the ones being provoked really need to rethink their so called "values". Almost every time I've seen it used, it protects the bullies and assholes who want to keep being assholes. Punishing those defending the victims or the victims defending themselves.

See, this is the thing always. You ask to be treated like children but don't like the loss of respect that that entails.

You can either stand strong and do your best or you can ask someone to take it easy on you as you take a step back from their status. If you want to be treated equally and you lack the power to take it you still should do so anyways because that's actual equality. Anything else is charity and condescension.

Unlike the child, I expect you to know not to punch someone who'd hospitalize you with their reciprocation. If you're too dumb to be able to tell or expect them to treat you as special despite asking them to treat you with equality that's your fault at this point.

If someone has nothing else about themselves that they can found an identity or personality through, they substitute arbitrary traits like their race or sex for it. If you're a boring asshole but you're gay you're not just a gay boring asshole if you make being gay your defining characteristic, you're a gay person who has to live with all the difficulties of society like a valiant martyr. Such a thing is very appealing to people seeking attention.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
How dare those minorities say mean things on twitter! Don't they know that racism and anti-LGBT discrimination is in the past? It's totally not like racial minorities are disproportionally targeted by the legal system or LGBT people can be fired, kicked out of housing, and/or denied medical care for simply existing nowadays...
So you think making neutral or sympathetic people not like you by saying stuff like what BlueTerminal was is going to somehow change that for the better? Like, what?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Does liking or not liking dick really form a foundational part of one's personality such that one cannot be proud about themselves without reference to it? Super weird.
Not according to the LBGT community who seem to who their genitial preference as one of the only key factors in who they are. Gay pride has an entire public parade to celebrate it.

Which is fine by the way. Be proud.

But that pride should go both ways. Just because some straight people suck, doesnt mean that all straight people need to be ashamed, because like i said there have been plenty of fucked up things that some LBGT folks as well. So neither side is the pure snowflake here.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Anyone who tries to use the "two wrongs don't make things right" on people who are abused or the ones being provoked really need to rethink their so called "values".
I dont think that is fair man. Im talking about it in context of stupid tweets and whatever tik tokkings are.

The problem is that people on this forum and frankly everywhere else on the internet always escalate and exaggerate things into completely different circumstances and situations.

"Dont insult someone and expect them to not insult you back."

"These insults cause genocide!!!"

It not the same thing. These super straight lads are not killing anyone and they arent hurting anything more than feelings maybe and that's kind of a big maybe.

Just rolling your eyes at it, does not mean you are supporting physical abuse, murder, or any sort of oppression. And clapping back with some dumb tweet or tiktok only feeds fuel to the trolls. It is trolling 101, do not feed them!

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Anyone who doesn't like LGBT people because someone LGBT online said something mean isn't actually neutral or sympathetic.
That's... UUUURRRGGGHHHH! That's the fucking point!

Anyone who doesn't like straight people because someone straight online said something mean isn't going to change things for LGBT people for the positive. Does that make you understand what I'm getting at?

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells

Anyone who doesn't like straight people because someone straight online said something mean isn't going to change things for LGBT people for the positive. Does that make you understand what I'm getting at?
I do not see how that is the point at all.

You suggested people will be turned away from supporting LGBT stuff. The point is these theoretical people being turned away are really not people who give a fuck about LGBT people in the first place nor are they inclined to. Who the hell actually changes their stance on rights because they found something personally insulting? Certainly not someone who is at all close to giving actual value to those rights.

Are they likely to be helping change people's minds for the positive? Nah. In reality they're probably not doing much at all either way. But are they in some way beholden to improve things with their every breath? Nope. They have lives and sentiments that don't need to be activism

Reactions: BrawlMan

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States

If the only reason people had for not liking straight people was mean online comments, sure.

You're, again, conveniently forgetting things like centuries of abuse that continues to occur in the modern day.

Let's take a look at how LGBT people are treated in the US right now:
  • LGBT children are kicked out of their homes by their parents for being LGBT.
  • LGBT people can legally be fired from their jobs for being LGBT.
  • LGBT people can legally be denied or kicked out of housing for being LGBT.
  • LGBT people can legally be denied medical care for being LGBT.
  • LGBT children can legally be tortured physically and mentally under the guise of "conversion therapy" for being LGBT.
That's all in a "first world", "freedom-loving" country. The shit that happens in less accepting places is even worse...

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Not according to the LBGT community who seem to who their genitial preference as one of the only key factors in who they are. Gay pride has an entire public parade to celebrate it.

Which is fine by the way. Be proud.

But that pride should go both ways.
Because gay people have been forced to live in shame for centuries. Pride is a direct response to that. Do straight people have the same history, of being unable to be open about who they love? Fucking no.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
LGBT people can legally be fired from their jobs for being LGBT.
False https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/15/sup...nt-be-fired-for-being-gay-or-transgender.html

LGBT people can legally be denied or kicked out of housing for being LGBT.
Ehh kinda. They can't technically do that BECAUSE you're LBGT, but they can make up reasons that are legit-looking to do so. However there are many laws that vary by state that sort of protect against this. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tenant-rights-sexual-orientation-discrimination-29843.html

LGBT children are kicked out of their homes by their parents for being LGBT.
Pretty sure this is illegal to do to any child under the age of 18. Though at 18 any parent can kick you out legally.

LGBT people can legally be denied medical care for being LGBT.
This is kind of true. Reproductive healthcare and hormone treatments can be denied, but emergency healthcare cannot be denied. You can go to any emergency room and get treated for any illness with protection from decrimination. From what I can find, it's non-life threatening treatment that can be refused coverage by health agencies. But I'm only doing a small search. Yeah this needs to change though.

LGBT children can legally be tortured physically and mentally under the guise of "conversion therapy" for being LGBT.
This is why religion sucks.

While I understand the essence of your point, do you really think that hatred in return is the right way to go about things? My family is German Jewish and we don't hate Germans for the 1940's. You can't apply your gripes with all straight people, nor should it be a problem for straight people to be happy about being straight. The people that bash and abuse other people for disgusting and should be punished for such things. But that also applies to those in the LBGT world who would apply that same abuse in return.

Hate is hate and hate is a problem no matter which "side" is hating. It is good for nobody and nothing good will ever come from it.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Because gay people have been forced to live in shame for centuries. Pride is a direct response to that. Do straight people have the same history, of being unable to be open about who they love? Fucking no.
Fuck that, EVERYONE has a right to be happy with who they are. (with few exceptions like terriorists and shit obviously)

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Fuck that, EVERYONE has a right to be happy with who they are. (with few exceptions like terriorists and shit obviously)
Jesus, how do you actually read what he says and decide that he talked about a right to be happy. That's not all pride is

This is like seeing some other country have a holiday for independence then saying you want one for your country too even if it didn't have that sort of event

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The "right to be happy" with whomever you want as a partner is not under threat for straight people. And Pride is explicitly an antidote to that threat.

Say, one person is suffering from an illness, and another person isn't. The doctor prescribes penicillin for the former, but not the latter, because they're fine. Would you be here saying, "fuck that, EVERYONE deserves to be healthy"?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
You're right, I guess. For only the past 9 months though... Any time before that it was legal. Considering most LGBT people you'd encounter are more than 9 months old, it was still something that affected them within their lifetime.

Ehh kinda. They can't technically do that BECAUSE you're LBGT, but they can make up reasons that are legit-looking to do so. However there are many laws that vary by state that sort of protect against this. https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tenant-rights-sexual-orientation-discrimination-29843.html
That's really just a "Yes it's legal. Contract laws still apply."

Pretty sure this is illegal to do to any child under the age of 18. Though at 18 any parent can kick you out legally.
Whether it's legal or not, it happens. Up to 40% of homeless youth are LGBT despite their percentage of the population being significantly smaller.

This is kind of true. Reproductive healthcare and hormone treatments can be denied, but emergency healthcare cannot be denied. You can go to any emergency room and get treated for any illness with protection from decrimination. From what I can find, it's non-life threatening treatment that can be refused coverage by health agencies. But I'm only doing a small search. Yeah this needs to change though.
That is correct. Remember that "emergency healthcare" as defined by federal law covers only "a condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in placing the individual's health [or the health of an unborn child] in serious jeopardy, serious impairment to bodily functions, or serious dysfunction of bodily organs." Any other condition could be refused treatment.

This is why religion sucks.

While I understand the essence of your point, do you really think that hatred in return is the right way to go about things? My family is German Jewish and we don't hate Germans for the 1940's. You can't apply your gripes with all straight people, nor should it be a problem for straight people to be happy about being straight. The people that bash and abuse other people for disgusting and should be punished for such things. But that also applies to those in the LBGT world who would apply that same abuse in return.

Hate is hate and hate is a problem no matter which "side" is hating. It is good for nobody and nothing good will ever come from it.
I don't think hate is the "right." way to do things. On the other hand, I'm not going to wring my hands at or shame LGBT people who do feel hatred. Emotions and emotional responses are part of being a human being regardless of how we "logically" believe things should be. My sympathy lies more with the LGBT person who has suffered personal discrimination in their life than a non-LGBT person who once saw someone write a mean tweet about straight people in general.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yes, for less than a year it's been illegal to discriminate against gay people in the United States.

Provided said gay person has money for a lawyer, finds a sympathetic judge, and wasn't fired "for no reason whatsoever", as is legal in At Will Employment states.

Which means we should be mad the major political parties that are constantly trying to overturn or end-run around that and be mad at people who say mean things on Twitter without the benefit of political clout an equal amount.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Provided said gay person has money for a lawyer, finds a sympathetic judge, and wasn't fired "for no reason whatsoever", as is legal in At Will Employment states.
Funny thing about "at will employment". As an employer in one of those states myself, it is now required that I provide written warnings over a period of at LEAST two weeks warning of fireable behaviors or offenses before I can actually do any real firing. So it's not like you can just drop the "you're fired" hammer on people anymore.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Funny thing about "at will employment". As an employer in one of those states myself, it is now required that I provide written warnings over a period of at LEAST two weeks warning of fireable behaviors or offenses before I can actually do any real firing. So it's not like you can just drop the "you're fired" hammer on people anymore.
Fantastic. Basic labor protections

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Who the hell actually changes their stance on rights because they found something personally insulting?
Quite a few, I fear. After all, part of winning people over can be padding their egos.

Gay pride matters because they had centuries of enforced shame: social ostracism, abuse, and legal penalty. Unsurprisingly, yes that has created a cultural and psychological relevance it hasn't for straight people, and consequent sense of identity.

Sure. But in the context of imminent unemployment, needing to pay bills, and the potential timescale of finding a new job, 2 weeks is a very short amount of time.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
If the far left progressive Twitter mob uses all of their crumbs of influence to be as nasty as possible, it's everyone's -- gay or straight -- duty to point that out. If that sinks someone's perception of non-straight people... well, you win some you lose some. Letting them stay in their little bubble is generous enough. Pride events are large enough that some wackos get to air their pent up frustrations without it sticking out too much, and because of that I'm personally on the fence (as usual) about the whole thing.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Discussing the optics of posting while trans between rants about Japanese fetish material and how my love of “not” men is cool and un-gay, then saying I’m totally not into trans people and thus the straightest man and it’s unacceptable to dissect any of these issues. Trans acceptance is an assault on my straight affection for animes with penises. But back to optics. 4chan, I know about it, I’ve done the inter webs.