22 y/o too old for pokemon?

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
drummersbangharder said:
I just got a DSi and I am VERY tempted to buy Pokemon Pearl.
I am 22 years old. Girl.
Do you think this is abnormal?
I have had to become a sort of closet gamer, because my roomie thinks that it is odd that I am so into video games. I can't help it, I grew up with it.

I never liked the pokemon cards or show, but I liked the games. I remember having all of the older ones (red, yellow, blue, silver, gold) and I loved them.

Now that I have a DS I want to buy the pokemon game but I'm almost ashamed. I will probably hide it and play it in bed at night....I dunno. I just feel self-concious about it in front of my roomie.

Are there any 20 somethings here that still play pokemon?
If you feel ashamed...

just emulate it.... >_>

xChevelle24

Mar 10, 2009
For the OP:

Age has nothing to do with gaming. I know plenty of 30-40-50 year olds who play video games on a regular basis.

So I say, go for it :] catch those Pokemon 'til your eyes fall out!

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
I don't think it's too old, after all, Pokemon is just an RPG. It's only associated (Sp?) with children because it was a cartoon.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
22 isn't too old to be playing pokemon, as long as you're just playing the GB, GBA, DS titles. I for one LOVED the original games, yellow blue red, they were like an RPG with 151 characters. Simple, fun. I tried gold, but couldn't really get into it... But I still love the originals.
So yes, it's ok to like the pokemon games (even pokemon stadium).

Quistnix

Nov 22, 2007
Erana said:
Its a good game.
I mean, really. Ask any real gamer, and they'll tell you that Kirby is a complete badass!
Kirby is the man!
Seriously, al his main games are awesome, and even his shitty spin-offs are decent or better. That, and he's a powerhouse in Super Smash Bros.

On-topic:
I'm a guy aged 25, and have been playing the games openly in public for years. So far it's gotten me one remark about acting my age, and a huge amount of great conversations with closet gamers. Besides, you're a girl older then 16, you can buy anything, no matter how childish, without trouble. Hell, my girl's 26 and buys lots of kids' stuff. I mean real kids' stuff, meant for people aged 5 and younger. I must admit, quite a lot of that kids stuff is pretty awesome.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I'm a guy and bought Pokemon Pearl when it came out. I'm 26 now and providing I can spare the cash, I wouldn't mind picking up Platinum. There is something oddly compelling about levelling up those little critters, regardless...:)

So yeh, if you like the games, don't let something like age stop you from enjoying it!

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
The Pokemon games are very cool, the show and movies however are not. So don't be ashamed that you still play Pokemon because it's really a respectable RPG.

suhlEap

Apr 14, 2009
i recently downloaded a game boy advance emulator with all the pokemon games *naughty*
i managed to play through 3 of them, minus the collecting everything part and it was great. no one's too old for pokemon except those who can't control their bladders!

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
No, if you enjoy it then things like that shouldn't get to you. If you're going to be self-conscious about it that means you really want to like it but are worried about the social stigma which can come with liking it. I say just do it and be happy for it :)

CriticallyAcclaimed

Apr 6, 2009
Why should it matter that you're 22? If you like the game, buy the game. Pokemon is a solid RPG anyways (not the show or the cards, mind you).

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
While frankly I would suggest different games in the series (I think the new Pokemon are badly designed or blatant ripoffs of earlier pokemon), if you want it, go for it.

darkerthought7

Apr 14, 2009
I'm 19, but I say that if a game is good, it shouldn't matter what the target audience is supposed to be. I say play it loud, play it proud. Pokémon, while it had it's share of flaws, is still a good game series. It was just killed by the spin-offs that resulted from it's popularity.

C. Blackwood

Feb 20, 2009
I have a 53-year-old professor who is really into video games, including Pokemon. If this guy isn't too old for video games then you definitely aren't. Besides, most statistics says the average age of a gamer these days is in the 30-35 area. I'd say if anything, you're too young to be playing video games.

And why do you care what your roommate thinks? I'm sure she has interests and hobbies that you think are weird. She's got no right to judge you for something like video games.

drkotaku

Oct 22, 2008
asl? 25/m/uk still playing pokemon :) simple srpg that is played happily whilst playing a rubbish slow other game/film/tea making lol

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I don't think you're really ever too old to enjoy a well made piece of entertainment. It's a classic.