A Message to Those Unhappy With DmC

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah I was one of those people ready to jump on the hate wagon when DmC was first announced. It just didn't feel....right to call it Devil May Cry. But after seeing some of the latest videos as well as finding out that the story will still involve Sparda and Mundus, I've jumped off the hate wagon and onto the wagon of cautiously optimistic.

By the way OP, you don't happen to be from the DMC boards over at IGN do you?

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Tameem's quote:
http://bitmob.com/articles/should-developers-listen-to-their-fans

^No, I'm not. I'm typically at tvtropes.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
TehCookie said:
rob_simple said:
Okay, well I can see how that could be a problem, but I still feel we should wait to see the game properly in action before deciding it's not going to work.

Contrary to what a lot of people believe, most dev's don't just change things in a familiar series to fuck with the fans; if Ninja Theory really has made this decision then you can bet it wasn't done lightly and that there's solid reasoning behind doing so.
They didn't want to have to learn a new engine and wanted to focus on the backgrounds. So the combat suffers from 30fps and limited enemies, in an action game that's all about the combat. Not to mention NT does just like to fuck with the fans, just look at Tameem's I don't care attitude.

Oh and source [http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/09/28/unreal-engine-to-power-devil-may-cry-reboot/]
Nowhere in that article did it say they couldn't be bothered to learn a new engine. It said they wanted to use the engine they were familiar with after they had used it in Enslaved which, by all accounts, I have heard was a pretty solid title.

I know nothing about game development, but I'm pretty sure the difference in game engines amounts to more than just switching from manual gearshift to automatic, and making a company get to grips with a new engine would:

1)Push development time back by at least a couple of months, which are expensive things in development terms
2)Potentially result in a less exciting game, with the team taking a 'safer' approach than they would if they were using an engine they were comfortable with and able to employ to its greatest potential.

And still I am yet to see this magical 'I don't care what you think' quote by the top dog.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I just posted it:

There, its at the bottom of the article.

To quote:

I instead assumed the snarky journalist persona, and without thinking asked, ?So, how do you feel about the fan reaction to DMC??

Tameen looked at me a moment and took a drag of his cigarette. Then without blinking, and without pausing to exhale the smoke from his mouth he said, ?I don't care.?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Zeromaeus said:
Tameem's quote:

^No, I'm not. I'm typically at tvtropes.
And lo was it so that I was right. Tameem's quote was a response to fans going batshit insane over a pre-rendered trailer that didn't even show the gameplay of the title.

Too fucking right he doesn't care, and nor should he care about the bleating of some self-entitled children that think anything that doesn't go their way should automatically be fixed until they are happy and get exactly what they want.

That entire article, in fact, is chock full of examples of this stupid bullshit. Complaining because Sonic's eyes are green? Are you kidding me?

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
At this point, I've just stopped caring. Ninja theories not getting my damned money for this as they've more or less demonstrated they either don't understand the series or hold outright contempt for the fans. And no, the change in appearance is not the main reason for me, stop saying it's why the fans are pissed cause it's not. I mean, did everyone on the escapist forget i made a thread OUTLINING ALL THE REASONS ASIDE FROM APPEARANCE THAT THE FAN-BASE WAS PISSED OFF LIKE A HORNETS NEST? No?....Anyone?....*sigh*

OK, the fans are pissed about them changing EVERYTHING about Dante: his back-story, the change of him to half Angel/half Devil, his personality, his abilities and even some of his fighting style is being changed. This isn't so much a change in appearance that has us pissed as it is outright replacing Dante with a whole new character while still trying to pass him off as the same lead. Despite how weak it was, this game series had a story, it had a lore and it had an established main character with a backstory and personality. To just throw all that into a shredder now is an outright insult and undermines one of the core themes of the game (Humanities superiority over Demons). As i said I'm aware Devil May Cry was never much in the story department, but it still HAD a story. There are other reasons involved, but typing them all out would take me forever.

If other people want to buy it though, fine. I won't stop you, but I'll go pick up the HD collection as the OP suggested due to me not having the funds at the moment to get it. I might rent it one day if the reviews are positive enough (Fan reviews mind), but until that point I'll just watch a lets play on youtube when it's out. What I've seen of some of the game play doesn't look too good and it just seems to remind me of Heavenly sword.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
I think a lot of you are missing the point of the outcry. It isnt just about the change to dante. The gameplay changes are the biggest. The game runs at 30fps which means less frames in which to create animations; DMc is known for its slick gameplay and the less frames means the combat will look choppy.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
rob_simple said:
TehCookie said:
rob_simple said:
Okay, well I can see how that could be a problem, but I still feel we should wait to see the game properly in action before deciding it's not going to work.

Contrary to what a lot of people believe, most dev's don't just change things in a familiar series to fuck with the fans; if Ninja Theory really has made this decision then you can bet it wasn't done lightly and that there's solid reasoning behind doing so.
They didn't want to have to learn a new engine and wanted to focus on the backgrounds. So the combat suffers from 30fps and limited enemies, in an action game that's all about the combat. Not to mention NT does just like to fuck with the fans, just look at Tameem's I don't care attitude.

Oh and source [http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/09/28/unreal-engine-to-power-devil-may-cry-reboot/]
Nowhere in that article did it say they couldn't be bothered to learn a new engine. It said they wanted to use the engine they were familiar with after they had used it in Enslaved which, by all accounts, I have heard was a pretty solid title.

I know nothing about game development, but I'm pretty sure the difference in game engines amounts to more than just switching from manual gearshift to automatic, and making a company get to grips with a new engine would:

1)Push development time back by at least a couple of months, which are expensive things in development terms
2)Potentially result in a less exciting game, with the team taking a 'safer' approach than they would if they were using an engine they were comfortable with and able to employ to its greatest potential.

And still I am yet to see this magical 'I don't care what you think' quote by the top dog.
Sorry that's old news in a different article here [http://bitmob.com/articles/should-developers-listen-to-their-fans] at the bottom.

You must of heard different Enslaved news than me, I heard it had a great story and environments and terrible combat. DmC may turn out to be a great game by it's own merits, but I'm judging it as a DMC game.

I'm also a consumer, I want a solid DMC. I don't mind waiting for it either. I don't know now engines work, but I do know some programs are better for things than others. Engines also has different uses, even if they can't use it to it's full potential if it's main purpose is what they need to do that would work better. Rather than using the tricks in the software they currently know to try to do things the another one does normally and better.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
TehCookie said:
rob_simple said:
TehCookie said:
rob_simple said:

Sorry that's old news in a different article here [http://bitmob.com/articles/should-developers-listen-to-their-fans] at the bottom.

You must of heard different Enslaved news than me, I heard it had a great story and environments and terrible combat. DmC may turn out to be a great game by it's own merits, but I'm judging it as a DMC game.

I'm also a consumer, I want a solid DMC. I don't mind waiting for it either. I don't know now engines work, but I do know some programs are better for things than others. Engines also has different uses, even if they can't use it to it's full potential if it's main purpose is what they need to do that would work better. Rather than using the tricks in the software they currently know to try to do things the another one does normally and better.
I can totally see where you are coming from with that point of view, but the problem is this isn't a fan problem; it's a personal preference issue and you are never going to satisfy everyone in that department because everyone gets something different from a series.

To me the Devil May Cry series is all about it's visual style, colourful characters and interesting locations, but not it's combat system, so the decision to use an engine that affects the combat doesn't impact me.

I'm not saying that, good or bad, there won't be people disappointed with this new game, but as long as it is a solid game in its own right, there will be a lot of fans, old and new, who do enjoy it.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm still INCREDIBLY pissed at Capcom for not localizing Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

However, I'm not boycotting them.

I just haven't bought any games they've released since then because they haven't released any games I have even the slightest interest in purchasing.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Shawn MacDonald said:
manaman said:
Shawn MacDonald said:
Forget about the dumbass boycott and play the game. Of course once you play it, then make a judgement call. Really think you need to give something a chance, not hate it for changing your precious little Dante who will probably turn into the one you know and love as the game progresses.
Once you play it they already have your money. It's a little late to after that to try using your money to send a message.
A friend owns the game and you play it over there, or you watch a youtube walkthrough.
Or, lest we forget, download the demo for free that will obviously be available upon it's release.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
rob_simple said:
I can totally see where you are coming from with that point of view, but the problem is this isn't a fan problem; it's a personal preference issue and you are never going to satisfy everyone in that department because everyone gets something different from a series.

To me the Devil May Cry series is all about it's visual style, colourful characters and interesting locations, but not it's combat system, so the decision to use an engine that affects the combat doesn't impact me.

I'm not saying that, good or bad, there won't be people disappointed with this new game, but as long as it is a solid game in its own right, there will be a lot of fans, old and new, who do enjoy it.
I'm glad you understand, I just avoid Donte since if you mention any criticism and you get people going "hurr durr you just don't like the fact they changed his hair." Though I also dislike how the world is brighter than the main character. The environments in the other games were darker and that really made Dante really stand out. Now you blend into shadows. If they changed the title I'd be interested, there is a lot of weight in a name.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
TehCookie said:
rob_simple said:

I'm glad you understand, I just avoid Donte since if you mention any criticism you get people going "hurr durr you just don't like the fact they changed his hair." Though I also dislike how the world is brighter than the main character. The environments in the other games were darker and that really made Dante really stand out. Now you blend into shadows. If they changed the title I'd be interested, there is a lot of weight in a name.
Now that is an interesting point, there is always a very fine line between changing so much that you might as well just call it something new entirely and changing the mechanics of a game but retaining it's spirit and vice versa.

I still think it's too early to tell, but so far I personally I think the game looks fantastic and can't wait to get my hands on it for a test run.