A petition to black out Steam for an hour

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
xaszatm said:
disgruntledgamer said:

The hell............. This crap has gone on far enough especially since there is a good chance she might of done it to her self and everyone of SJW threatening claims have turned out to be false!
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. She did it to herself? Seriously? She called the police and had to evacuate both her own house and her parent's house and she is faking it? Really? We're going down this route?
Well, it has the whole "THERE'S A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS!" vibe for some gamers, so they're going to flock to it and believe any story she gives.

I'll make sure to be playing during that time of their planned black out. I thought her last video was ridiculous; but not warranting any harassment.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The_Kodu said:
Why do I think this ?

Now you'll have to believe me on this as I don't have the items to hand anymore but these were on Reddit and I think even Neogaf for a while.

1) Camera phone footage of Anita talking at Dice HQ in a lecture (I mean actual lecture theatre style thing) about her experiences etc.

2) Writings from someone claiming to be a developer at Dice (with evidence supporting he was working in development) claiming that EA representatives did have Anita come in to talk to them about gameplay, not character but gameplay.

3) If you check back through Anita's twitter feed you'll see how often she mentions Mirrors edge 2 and hows she's looking forward to it. She also confirmed her presence at the EA event on twitter by talking about a business trip she went on (This was ages ago now)
To clarify, my post was not asking for a citation or evidence to show that Anita is working with EA, but rather the question was "Why do you think EA cares about what Anita thinks?" I just find it difficult to believe that they'd actually care about what she has to say if she was just some fringe feminist from the internet that relatively few people had heard about. But that's not the case, is it? Haters gotta hate, apparently, even when their hate just fuels the power and prestige of the person they're hating.

I find it funny that a lot of people that don't like Anita call her an attention whore...and yet they still continue to feed her attention. This very topic - while only tangentially concerning Anita - has brought her even more attention. Topics like this, petitions like this, all these things serve to increase Anita's notoriety thus making her more "famous" than she rightfully should be. And that's why EA is willing to listen to her: she's not just some fringe feminist on the internet...she's a FAMOUS fringe feminist on the internet.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
So, what I'm taking from this is: Anita really does want to take our games away? Only for an hour, sure, but it's a slippery slope...

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Fuck it, make it a day. Then Valve can let all the people who are sad they cant play peggle know exactly which troglodite douchebags are responsible. They could even link to the Zoey Quinn Escapist thread!
What a great example you are. Advocating for collective punishment in order to cause anger. Hey i know lets force Mosques to close down every time Muslim extremists do something bad! Sounds Stupid? Well what do you know...

Jul 13, 2010
The_Kodu said:
I don't know it's pretty easy to say that claiming someone should go to jail and be raped is trivialising it against men.

It's pretty easy to suggest a guy should kill himself when Men have a higher suicide rate.

It's pretty easy to suggest that a man acting in self defence is the attacker in some cases.

It's unfortunately all to easy to forget that 50% of domestic abuse incidents are against men (40% of physical cases 60% of mental abuse cases approximately).

It's very easy to show one side of a debate when the other in inconvenient.

Now just as those can be perceived as misandry, mostly it's actually due to lack of awareness of such issues.

So would you like to use the claim that intention is not important in actions and they should still be labelled and the person in question criticised for them even if it wasn't their intention ?

Then Anita sarkeesian is a huge misandrist, during her Damsels in distress serious she claims that a man defending himself from a woman who isn't in control of her actions is domestic abuse and gendered violence against women.

She in her latest video points out how little Male abuse is seem, yet in her statistics in the very same video she never once mentions men, infact in her domestic abuse statistics in previous episodes she's never once mentioned the statistics of it happening to men.
Firstly, Compared to multiple countries across the world that still have laws limiting education, job opportunities, dress code, marriage rights, etc, the history of just about every country of widespread gender discrimination, and the fact that the number of women in political and financial power is still substantially lower than that of men. I certainly say men's rights issue do not compare.

Secondly, no one's forgetting anything, women's rights issues obviously far outweigh that of men's and as such take precedent.

Thirdly, I never said anything about intention, I have no idea where you got that from

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Mcoffey said:
generals3 said:
Mcoffey said:
Fuck it, make it a day. Then Valve can let all the people who are sad they cant play peggle know exactly which troglodite douchebags are responsible. They could even link to the Zoey Quinn Escapist thread!
What a great example you are. Advocating for collective punishment in order to cause anger. Hey i know lets force Mosques to close down every time Muslim extremists do something bad! Sounds Stupid? Well what do you know...
Good to know not having access to Counter Strike is the same as denying religious worship.
Neither is making idiotic threats the same as executing 200 people (point being: i wasn't equating anything, i was pointing out the principle of collective punishment is stupid by using an example that "Progressives" would definitely condemn, actually it's also a "subtle" way to point out blatant double standards). But you know what, what would make religious worship special anyway? Why is denying someone the ability to play their games less bad than someone not being able to make their prayers somewhere? I'm sorry but i don't hold religion on some kind of a holy pedestal.

Anyway, your response was really disappointing. You basically couldn't argue your way out and instead of admitting you were wrong you tried to divert the point. Come on, tell me why collective punishment is a great idea.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Mcoffey said:
I think false equivalency pretty much argues for itself, but hey, next time you go to the emergency room for a broken arm, I hope you dont mind terribly when they prioritize the guy with a hang nail.
As I thought, totally dodging the issue. I think i've made my point. Good to see the internet never disappoints.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
The Idea that I won't be able to play steam for someone else "cause" is downright idiotic, and I'd move my business to GOG if they even considered dragging people into the SJW nonsense by not allowing me access to stuff I paid for.

Now how theses things are suppose to happen are people are suppose to sign up to something like " I won't play any video games for a week" to boycott or stand for something. This is just suggesting our steam should be held hostage because someone "Claims" someone did something mean on the internet.

Has this world gotten so lazy we are suppose to be force people to try to stand up for something we don't even know that is right?

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Eh... I'm gonna let this one play out.

I don't see much reason to doubt the validity of the threat, but I'm not sure that petitioning Valve to black out Steam is the best response.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Ok, first of all, anyone saying she faked the threats: Stop it. The fact of the matter is that Anita doesn't need to fake the threat. If her angle here really is publicity all she has to do is take her pick of threats that already exist.

Second, the petition was not started by Anita nor has she retweeted it or anything like that as far as I can tell.

As for the petition, if anyone actually thinks this will discourage this type of behavior they are morons. Can you imagine if this got through? Now you don't even have to DDOS Valve, all you got to do is act like an asshole and they will shut themselves down!

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Pretty laughable. Not gonna happen. I wish they would stop trying to desperately take control of everything. If the threats are real (which I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt) its best to find a different way to handle this and keep Valve and it's millions of users out of it. And stop comparing this to SOPA. That's like apples and oranges.