A question for PC Gamers. Why all the hostility towards console gamers/gaming?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
1. We get awful ports, ie: GTA, Brutal Legend, Saints Row 2, etc.
2. We use a more useful system: mods, upgradability, more game vendors, and it can do work stuff.
3. Console makers treat their consumers like shit, Xbox live has Adverts? Why!?
4. We are not all arrogant dick holes you know.
5. The PC is better because it is more versatile and consumer friendly.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
wombat_of_war said:
consoles are better at somethings like fighting games for instance and pc's are better at others like strategy and sims.
actually Pc's are much better at fighting games, running at a steady 120 fps allows for very precise animation / frame timing . perhaps you meant its better on a controller than keyboard which i would grant as a fair point though slightly moot as controllers plug into a PC just as easily as console and fight sticks are by far the best method.

Myself i resent the consoles on a number of points.

they brought the mainstream into my hobby, which means i have to put up with dip shits who play cod and madden who now think they are gamers.

it also means the floodgates on bad value for money DLC has opened like a biblical tide destroying expansions and good value content.

they have caused the dumbing down of a lot of game franchises and a massive stagnation in creativity as the trip A market developed attempting to feed the lowest common denominator.

and of course this ridiculous 8 year old hardware has became a massive ball and chain holding games back as the years ticked by.

but i dont look down on gamers on consoles i play mostly on PC because i have the money to run a top end gaming rig that costs more than some cars. when i was a teenager i had consoles, ill probably buy a ps4 to and i would of owned an xbox and bought a bone if it wasnt made by Microsoft, but thats a different rant entirely.

doesnt mean i wont antagonise or poke the lower echelons but its purely for fun1

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Arina Love said:
Hardware is irrelevant.
Then explain why the specs of the PS4 hardware were even released and stated by console developers to be superior when in truth they are inferior to the PC sitting on my desk right now. Remember, they said that the PS4 was superior to anything build now and would be superior to any PC for YEARS to come.

Xzavion

Jun 22, 2013
Ok, first of all to note, I have nothing against consoles, and absolutely nothing against console gamers.

The thing that bothers me about consoles is caused by the developers only.
Developers/Publishers think it is a good idea to port a game to as many platforms as possible (which probably is a good thing from a monetary point of view).
Now comes the problem, they don't go and make a game for the infrastructure of a PC, but for any of the consoles. That leads to almost no game for PC coming with any more than Directx9 support at the moment, neither with x64 support (especially not multi platform stuff).
With the age of the current console generation (not talking about PS4/XboxOne) being really weak hardware wise compared to current PCs, the mere presence of the consoles is at the moment slowing down the whole process of evolution for gaming. Developers could be doing so much more stuff on PCs at the moment, but as consoles aren't able to do it too, they just have to stick with what the consoles can do.

So I am really really happy as a PC gamer, that there is the new console generation coming, so we might get some new fancy stuff the next 2-3 years. Then things will probably slow down again, until the next generation consoles are available.

10 years ago that problem wasn't as dire as now, as most games weren't developed for multiple platforms. Also new consoles were appearing more frequently, with any of Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo appearing at least every 2 years. For this year, all of the present consoles are minimum 7 years old (PS3/Wii the newest since 2006). Though I might want to separate Wii from Playstation and Xbox, as there are rarely titles ported for PC + PS/Xbox and Wii altogether.

So yeah over the last 2-3 years I got annoyed by the presence of the current consoles because they were slowing down everything. But that has nothing to with the gaming itself or the gamers.

Athinira said:
While the first Crysis indeed did look great, that's only half of what it was renowned for. The other part it was renowned for was the fact that pretty much no PC at the time could run it at a consistent FPS at maximum settings. Crysis was put up on a pedastal, because it could be considered (too use a phrase by Yahtzee) 'a ritualistic trial by fire for their processor' (or rather, computers overall). It was the game pretty much everyone used to benchmark their gaming PC's, hence the 'Can it play crysis' joke.

However, the reason for this isn't that Crysis was a graphical marvel that many mistakingly think it is. Yes it looked great and had a lot of impressive effects (lens flares, sunshafts), but the truth of the matter was that the engine was in fact horribly optimized. Pretty much all of the features in their engine was put in on the premise that 'If you have the PC to run this, it will be cool', with little thought being given to any actual performance budget.

And this is where Crysis 2 - running on the CryEngine 3 - actually came in with improvement. You said something very incorrect in your post which was the Crysis 2 looked inferior to Crysis 1. While it did have some shortcomings compared to the original such as lower texture resolutions (which was later retified) and an initial lack of DX11 features, it still looked better. Anyone who says otherwise needs to go back, play both games and notice the differences. The LOD handling in CryEngine 3 is miles better than in CryEngine 2 (especially in regards to objects who completely fade out once you get some distance from them), and the same goes for the weather effects and color grading (which was far more vibrant on CryEngine 3). Most importantly, however, the engine was way better optimized than its predecessor, and ran well even on midrange PC's while still looking good. Try churning the settings for the original Crysis to the lowest, and see how it looks (hint: it basically looks like crap).
For this I have to say... when I was younger... and there was a new game with cool graphics out... I'd just go and buy some new parts to get the most of it. And even then alot of games I remember only ran really well with the hardware of maybe a year later.

Same goes for Crysis. It was the first game for a felt eternity that was really demanding of your hardware. And I was really really happy about that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a game that will only run smooth on full settings maybe a year later than it's airing date.
Also even Crysis was already pretty well adjustable to lower hardware, even if Crysis2 did improve on that even further (though that also may have been caused by the fact that highend PCs from Crysis were midrange for Crysis2, and the hardware demand didn't rise very much really). And Crysis2 with Cryengine3 was far off from being as much of a milestone in terms of graphics than Crysis was (which might have something to do with consoles? ^^).

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
If not for PC "elitists", shit like this turns into common knowledge:

It's entirely in the interest of the console manufacturers, even Microsoft, to spread the perception that PC gaming is dead, everybody games on consoles, a console has better graphics than a $2000 PC, consoles have the best exclusives and so on. Journalists hardly mind passing it on.

This is where the vocal PC elitists come in as a counterpoint, calling them on their shit. Neither side is clean - many would condemn consoles even if there wasn't a campaign against PC, all I'm saying is it's a two-sided thing. PC gaming has no big corporate backbone representing it at Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo's level (nor should there be), so its supporters have to fend for themselves and that's where the extra sharp tone comes from.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
asinann said:
Arina Love said:
Hardware is irrelevant.
Then explain why the specs of the PS4 hardware were even released and stated by console developers to be superior when in truth they are inferior to the PC sitting on my desk right now. Remember, they said that the PS4 was superior to anything build now and would be superior to any PC for YEARS to come.
Viral marketing , hype brewing. i'm not a dev i don't care in a slightest what sort of hardware new gen have all i care is games that will be released on it. Yes shiny new graphics will attract people but in the end games will decide what people will buy and stay with. Remember original Xbox was more powerful than PS2 (i think PS2 was least powerful console of it's gen) and PS2 annihilated every console of that gen because of games.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Mcoffey said:
wombat_of_war said:
Joccaren said:
snip 2: the snippening
These are both excellent answers, OP. You should listen to them.

And as far as GTA goes, no one likes to be arbitrarily excluded. We know there's a PC port coming (in all likelihood it's already done), but we're expected to wait months (GTA IV was seven months!) because "reasons". It doesn't seem fair, does it?
Thats why I ask the questions and I did say you should rightly complain because no one should feel left out. I'm still learning and with all of the answers I am getting, I appreciate and respect them all. The PC/Console hostility goes both ways at time.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
Is it elitism if its right? A solid 200 dollar gfx card is going to get more than double the pixels, 4-8-12 times the video ram, at twice the framerate with AA, SSAO, AF, dx11, tessalation, better shadows, lighting, massively more draw distance. Much less if you build a 1000 dollar beast computer. Mods, fixes,community balance patches, texture work etc. Outside of consoles exclusives PC is so far ahead of this gen its not even funny.

Its not that I hate consoles, or console gamers its just that i hate the backwards console experience, the so easily eclipsed tech, games designed like corridors so they can fit into 256 v ram, keeping the console gui in ports, ports that don't allow for basic PC features(dark souls, darksiders) and the graphic stagnation to where a 6-7 year old game still is held up as a graphical benchmark(crysis)

Imagine your ps3 but everything was still made for a ps2 would there not be some tension or frustration there, both with devs who are giving you a ps2 or 2.5 quality experience, and with the ps2 owners who say, "looks good to me, not everyone has the money for a ps3".
Yes it is elitism, and it makes some of us fellow PC owners embarrassed/ashamed. Graphics and technology do not make a game, creativity does. I've had as much if not more fun in older games as I do in GTAV. It's not that either is better or worse, it just comes down to what game fits the mood I'm in at the time. I have 2 medium-high end PC's, a all the current gen consoles (plus a few previous gens) including hand helds. Want to know which is my favoriate? None, because I play the system that the game I feel like is on. There's next to no difference and anyone who hates on another system is just being a jerk.

XBone being the one exception, though less because of the system and more because of the idiots that designed it. Though that's no longer an issue (if you trust they did remove the crap).

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
RicoADF said:
sneakypenguin said:
Is it elitism if its right? A solid 200 dollar gfx card is going to get more than double the pixels, 4-8-12 times the video ram, at twice the framerate with AA, SSAO, AF, dx11, tessalation, better shadows, lighting, massively more draw distance. Much less if you build a 1000 dollar beast computer. Mods, fixes,community balance patches, texture work etc. Outside of consoles exclusives PC is so far ahead of this gen its not even funny.

Its not that I hate consoles, or console gamers its just that i hate the backwards console experience, the so easily eclipsed tech, games designed like corridors so they can fit into 256 v ram, keeping the console gui in ports, ports that don't allow for basic PC features(dark souls, darksiders) and the graphic stagnation to where a 6-7 year old game still is held up as a graphical benchmark(crysis)

Imagine your ps3 but everything was still made for a ps2 would there not be some tension or frustration there, both with devs who are giving you a ps2 or 2.5 quality experience, and with the ps2 owners who say, "looks good to me, not everyone has the money for a ps3".
Yes it is elitism, and it makes some of us fellow PC owners embarrassed/ashamed. Graphics and technology do not make a game, creativity does.
What if many of us find more creativity in the PC department as well? I can't get the games I want on consoles. I'm primarily an adventure and RPG game fan. I can't get Baldur's Gate or Edna & Harvey on a console, so I prefer PC.

And that applies generally. I think you will find more often that console games are more available on PC, than PC games being available on console so you're better off with a PC no matter what type of game you enjoy. Unless you absolutely adore JRPGS and they are the only thing you play.

Jun 11, 2008
I'm going to go old school Escapist and search bar nazi this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.827536-PC-Console-gaming-segregation?page=1]. We've already had this thread multiple times before and it's getting old. There isn't anything really to say that hasn't been said in all the other ones. Eg Some console and PC gamers are shit heads, PC has superior hardware and options/console has better accessibility, Some people like to play devils advocate, no real gamers hates another for platform choice, etc.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
What if many of us find more creativity in the PC department as well? I can't get the games I want on consoles. I'm primarily an adventure and RPG game fan. I can't get Baldur's Gate or Edna & Harvey on a console, so I prefer PC.

And that applies generally. I think you will find more often that console games are more available on PC, than PC games being available on console so you're better off with a PC no matter what type of game you enjoy. Unless you absolutely adore JRPGS and they are the only thing you play.
I'm not saying preferring PC over console is elitist, I generally prefer my PC for the same reasons, esp the nice cheap games. But to think less of people, hating on them for having consoles or thinking that graphics and better technology makes a good game is being elitist. Not saying you are, just elaborating what I meant by the comment you quoted :)

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
It's not about elitism, it's about certain people being pricks and having the ammunition to do so.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Although I have a PC, I also have an X-Box 360 so I suppose I should be shot immediately, right? Take into account the fact that, in my younger days, I also had a Mega Drive and a SNES SIDE-BY-SIDE and you'd think they'd bring back hanging!

Nah!

Although much may be talked about the "Elite" PC gamer, it's mostly tongue-in-cheek or gentle prodding these days. Sure there are those that champion their platform(s) of choice but it's rare to find someone who is actually genuinely snotty to those who don't share his / her opinion on what is best. Sure PC gamers have mods but a console owner doesn't have to worry about his machine meeting the minimum system requirements.

I do find it hilarious that a lot of PC gamers are crying that GTA V is not available on the PC when so many PC gamers also lambasted the GTA IV PC port as being sub-par. I've got GTA IV for the PC (I didn't have an X-Box at the time) and while it's not the best port, at least it has Independence FM, which is the funniest thing I've heard on the "radio" in years!

I will be getting GTA V for the X-Box at some point, for the record. Sooner rather than later I hope!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Most of it's tongue-in-cheek, I think (well... I hope, rather).

I far prefer the PC as my platform-of-choice. It's the best (for me), and I will occasionally joke about the "inferiority" of the consoles with my console-playing friends.

...But I still play consoles too.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Joccaren said:
I was going to make a big lengthy post but you pretty much covered all bases.

I just want to reiterate one important point, PC gamers get upset when their games are dumbed down in order to facilitate the lesser capabilities of the consoles. For instance the new amnesia game had almost all its features removed simply because inventory management and the likes are too difficult to do on a controller.

Things like this is why PC Gamer generally resent consoles as a concept, which leads to some PC gamers(the minority) blaming the move toward consoles, on the people who promote consoles aka the console gamers.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I know you probably mean well, but the title is extreme. Calling it hate is harsh. Many PC gamers don't care much for consoles, others dismiss them for being too limited and therefore not worthwhile.

There is sometimes frustration when a game that should come out on the PC doesn't (like a sequel to a game that was on PC), or when a multi-platform game is being dumbed down for consoles.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Hostility? Hm, I don't know about that, I mean, I'm not one to hang around in forums a lot (you know, cause I have life. Ha!.. That is so not true...) but even when I do, I've never quite noticed hostility, per se. I even did a thread myself, a while back (as have many others) asking console gamers why they prefer consoles.

I guess there must be some hostility out there (as is with everything, on the internet), but it hasn't caught my attention. And, although I find PC gaming to be more- intuitive, in a sense, compared to console gaming (mostly because of the keyboard+mouse configuration and the fact that you can upgrade and manage your machine), I usually tend to regard console gaming with a lot of respect, and view it as a form of 'true' gaming (you know, controller in hand, mashing away at keys, et al.) and I also even envy console gamers for having good exclusive titles, but not in a hostile way.

Also, a good laptop is a lot easier to carry around when you move a lot from place to place.