Activision CEO Says He Would Raise Prices Even Higher

[Cold-Shoulder]

Jun 5, 2009
I am hating that son-of-a-***** so much right now.
Doubt I'll get "Call of duty: Modern warfare 2" now.
Does anyone know how much will the game cost in euros?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
What an asshole. Everyone start boycotting his company right away! It's the only way to stop its spread across all corners of the earth! [sub]Or just spam his email address or something. I'm pretty sure not everyone in Activision is like him.[/sub]

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
GonzoGamer said:
We could just collectively say to him: "If you don't bring down your prices, we can't support your repetitive software, cheap hardware, or overpriced dlc."

Too ironic?
Well, no. That's the thing. For all Kotick might seem like a schemer, he's very good at what he does, and that is make money for his business. If, say, they find people aren't willing to pay the higher prices, they'll lower them. Which would be, in essence, what you're saying. But if people DO still pay the prices they ask for games/hardware/DLC, then they have no reason to lower them.
Since gamers have proven to be the biggest suckers on the face of the planet, then I guess there's no limit to the prices they can charge us.

I'm not buying any of it though.
Not even MW.

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
See my avatar? I'm willing to bet many people are willing to reenact that with that guy getting kicked. Honestly? More price raises? If I could find a company that makes good games and doesn't even care about money, I'd pledge brand loyalty forever... but in this day and age I don't see this happening. I swear if he boosts the prices of SC2 or Diablo 3.... or even the WoW subscription, I'll get the men in white on him.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I know I've had it with them... might actually stop buying thing produced by Activision... never liked Blizzard either...

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
Doc Theta Sigma said:
He is aware that Gamers are already howling for his blood? This can only make things worse. I call dibs on his trachea.
If you get his trachea i get his spinal column

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
You mean CEOs and marketing executives really dont give a shit about people? How is that news? Its a business and its run as so, what speaks to them is profits and deadlines.
Most CEOs have the courtesy to keep it subtle, Activision however says Fuck you right to your face without even trying to hide it. It's as if they're trying to get the image of greedy cartoon businessmen.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Sure raise prices however if you do that you will have to support,patch and polish the crap you shovel out, if you don't there's no reason to buy new. Kinda like how are things right now....

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
The best solution is to talk with your wallet.

Bitching, pissing and moaning on the internet won't change a damn thing. Not spending your money on their products will.

I wasn't going to buy MW2 anyways, and I refuse to spend money on GH anymore so I'm pretty much free from Acti/Blizz and their tyranny.

Today is the day EA is no longer demonized (as much), mark my words.

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
I can't believe I'm saying this but... I like EA more than Activision.

Oh yeah in case you didn't pay attention the whole 3 seperate campaign thing for SC2 is actually a ploy to get $50 per campaign from you, not to actually make the game better. Blizz has already fallen under this (insert expletive here) guy's spell.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
jamesworkshop said:
why wouldn't he or any other business not want to sell their product for as much as they can
There's a difference between selling a product for a sensible price and selling a product by price-gauging.
Hey, he wants to "make some damn money"
I said change it to "needs" some damn money, damnit! But regardless, at least we know that Sony is trying to lower the price. I can't say that this isn't a common thing with many business, raising prices and such, but the insane hypocrisy that is this Kotick guy is what really tosses this over the edge.
Hm. I don't know if I'd call it hypocrisy, per se.

His argument was that Sony needs to lower the cost on the PS3 not out of principle, but because people aren't as willing to pay the higher cost, so it isn't selling as well as it might be. If the PS3 were selling as well as its peers despite the higher price tag, they probably wouldn't be calling for a price cut since there'd be no evidence for it.

In that line of thought, if they raise the price of games $10 or so, and find that it severely impacts sales, then they'll probably lower them again, since they'd have empirical evidence that people weren't willing to pay the higher cost. On the other hand, if they raise the price but sales stay about the same, then they'll have realized that the new price is still within peoples' acceptable margins for how much a game should cost.

It's definitely a bit of a dick move to pull, no question about that. I just don't think it's necessarily a hypocritical one.
Well that is a good point really. Didn't Nintendo get sued back in the N64 era for price gouging by the way? I think he could probably squeeze an extra five pounds out of us and we'd still buy. To be honest if it's this bad, I hate to see what happens with Modern Warfare 3

P.S. I call a vote for Mr Funk to have his avatar as the picture from his A View From The Road series. I have to admit it looks so cool that I have to sit down and rethink my life as to how I can match that level of coolness.
FloodOne said:
The best solution is to talk with your wallet.

Bitching, pissing and moaning on the internet won't change a damn thing. Not spending your money on their products will.

I wasn't going to buy MW2 anyways, and I refuse to spend money on GH anymore so I'm pretty much free from Acti/Blizz and their tyranny.

Today is the day EA is no longer demonized (as much), mark my words.
This is a forum. Bitching, pissing and moaning is what we do here. I would need a boycott group 500 thousand strong before I even think of not buying this game, because as it stands it makes no difference whether I buy this or not, the game is still going to sell an unholy amount.

Crazyshak48

Mar 3, 2008
Wow. Now I sort of feel bad for buying COD4 the first time round and supporting this douche bag's hideous pile of cash. I'd heard about the price hikes for the game and wasn't planning on buying it for a while anyway, but now I'm just not sure if I'll ever buy it at all. Thankfully, I don't play WoW or Guitar Hero and wasn't planning on getting SC2 (especially not if they charge $50 PER CAMPAIGN), so it doesn't affect me too much. That is still doing nothing to assuage the image the consumer has of the evil, scheming, dollar devouring, defrauding the public CEO. Hooray to him for doing his own part in continuing the economic crisis.

Seriously though, it takes a lot to make me think that a game company is more evil than EA, but seriously, after this, I'd have to say that's the case unless someone finds footage of the EA CEO doing the same thing. At least to my knowledge, EA has a vague pretense of caring about the people they fleece lol.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
If the prices are raised o.o...

Its on ***** -.-..

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Crazyshak48 said:
Seriously though, it takes a lot to make me think that a game company is more evil than EA, but seriously, after this, I'd have to say that's the case unless someone finds footage of the EA CEO doing the same thing. At least to my knowledge, EA has a vague pretense of caring about the people they fleece lol.
EA has been well behaved recently, especially compared to this.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
For some reason, when looking at that picture, the phrase, "Would you kindly...?" comes to mind.

[small]Anybody know a good T-shirt designer?[/small]

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
As a business student i say fuck off
As a dedicate gamer i say fuck off
As a human being i say fuck off

Gentlemen are we looking at the new face of evil!!!!!?!?!?!?!!