Alien asks you to prove humanity is worth saving

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Oh piss off the lot of you with your "humans suck" speeches

What? You mean the politicians and the big industry owners and the airheaded celebrities?

Oh great, you're right. Let us all be as shallow and banal as you lot to think only of this TINY, TINY minority when we consider the vast scope, the utter, fantastic variety, inherent in humanity. Can you honestly say you lot would look at the school children, the happy lovers, the amazing advancements in the limitless fields and sciences of nature, what we've built, what we've accomplished, what we're capable of? Can you look at all of that and think "God, I'm so wise and knowing about all of the earth that I can say we're not "worth it" as a species? I know everything, after all, and if I'M not happy, NO-ONE is! FIRE AWAY"

You lot are pitiful. You really, truly are.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
"I don't guess you'd mind becoming our overlords, would you? We kinda botched the whole 'ruling ourselves thing'."
This is basically what I would've said.

Ninja'd, you might say.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Shown them the Large Hadron Collider. Built by 60 different nations, all funding the advancement of science for, well, the advancement of science. The LHC, as far as I know, cannot be used for any military purposes.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
GrinningManiac said:

What? You mean the politicians and the big industry owners and the airheaded celebrities?

Oh great, you're right. Let us all be as shallow and banal as you lot to think only of this TINY, TINY minority when we consider the vast scope, the utter, fantastic variety, inherent in humanity. Can you honestly say you lot would look at the school children, the happy lovers, the amazing advancements in the limitless fields and sciences of nature, what we've built, what we've accomplished, what we're capable of? Can you look at all of that and think "God, I'm so wise and knowing about all of the earth that I can say we're not "worth it" as a species? I know everything, after all, and if I'M not happy, NO-ONE is! FIRE AWAY"

But I saw someone do something hurtful to someone else once! THAT'S PROOF OF HUMANITY SUCKING

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I'd beat the crap out of him and tell the rest that all Humans would fight with the same tenacity to stay alive. Then they would leave in fear.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Cherry Cola said:
GrinningManiac said:

But I saw someone do something hurtful to someone else once! THAT'S PROOF OF HUMANITY SUCKING
Egads, you're right!

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Damn it, this is encounter at farpoint all over again, someone get me Patrick Stuart.

No but on a serous note The Doctor would save us before any harm befell the human race.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
I would grant them the gift of a nuclear bomb. Than when it's safe aboard the mothership I would press the nice big red button and watch the fireworks.

Vrud

Mar 11, 2009
I'm sure we must have SOME worth, if only on the basis of our anatomical and chemical structure alone. And if we don't, some other organism on the planet surely must - and as plentiful as humans are at the moment, exterminating us short of blowing up the planet seems fairly impractical.

Lekonua

Mar 25, 2009
It isn't. Wipe us out now before we start spreading to other planets.

Actually, know what? Just sit back and watch. We'll have vaporized ourselves by the time intergalactic conquest is even an option for our species.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
Let's not lie to ourselves. We can hardly get along with ourselves let alone aliens. We'd probably go to war with them before this question was asked. However never let it be said that we tell exclusively boring stories. I'm willing to bet that aliens for all their technologies actually lead pretty dull lives, while we have so many different forms of entertainment.

We may very well end up being the big joke of the universe and for that reason, we should be spared.

Deschamps

Oct 11, 2008
In a very short time span we went from realizing our planet orbits our star to sending people and robots to other worlds. It's been about 150 years since Darwin published The Origin of Species and marked the beginning of a revolution in our understanding of our species.

We're far from perfect in our current state, but as a rapidly developing species I think you'd be blind to not be interested in where we're going. I'm hopeful for our future.