An hypothetical question for recent Fallout fans

razerdoh

Nov 10, 2009
Nulmas said:
I've just realized that nowadays there are plenty of new Fallout fans that may have not been exposed to a certain game in the franchise. Back when it originally came out (hell, even when it was announced) the game caused a bit of an "interesting" reaction.

So, here's the scenario:

Imagine that Bethesda announces that they would be postponing the development of Fallout 4. In that time, they would be developing a spin-off of the series that was an action dungeon crawler.

And then they hit you with these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz4i_iXNP-E (trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifnMjqdm4QE (video)

For the sake of the argument, ignore the old graphics. Just pretend they're current gen.

So, what would your response to this be like?
Dear OP: As whit the Starwars Holliday special, THAT thing you posted vids to DO NOT FUCKING EXIST!

Norendithas

Oct 13, 2009
One of the first things I did after getting into Fallout was read the canon start to finish [I was stuck at my grandma's with nothing to do]. Most people don't consider anything out of these games to be canon, or at least if they do, it's not a definite source of it. xD

If they came out with that game, I would have been very disappointed. Wouldn't have bought it at all, not even to see if it redeems itself. Plus, it was a bad choice to not use Ron Pearlman for the intro..

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Vkmies said:
I can respect that, even though I personally enjoy the slow paste of the isometric view and turn-based combat, no matter how badly it has aged. I do agree that it would need updating to make it feel tactical again, though. Personally, I believe isometric view is rather charming and could work on touch screens and computers, even today.
Combat can still be slow paced without an isometric view. Of all things Fallout 3 did wrong, the imposing, wrecked 50's-World-Of-Tommorrow architecture of Washington DC was not one of them, despite it being heavily cut up into parts. Strolling around near the History Museum really made me go "woah", and that's something isometric view simply cannot do. Not to mention that you get stuff like this:

Which ball is higher?

It's not really used in modern videogames for a reason. You simply can't do as much with an isometric perspective as with true 3D. And why limit your options so much? It's not like you can't set the camara in a third person game in an isometric viewpoint, and at the same time everyone who wants to pan around imposing structures and buildings and whatnot can still do so.

Really, you can please everyone easily, just using an old fashioned isometric engine is just caging your game for the sake of nostalgia.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I still want to find it and play it.

Touchscreens bah. Nothing I own has one, nor do I plan to buy anything with one for the foreseeable future. Third Person is the natural evolution of the Isometric, games should not take a step back.

thathaloguy117

Mar 17, 2011
Same story with Halo, no one ever counts in Halo Wars into anything, but to be fair it wasn't Bungie's fault. But BoS pretty much doomed Fallout until it was revived by Bethseda. Lets face it, good game (or anything in the entertainment industry) franchises will almost always a horrible disfigured mutilated and horribly slaughtered game that will come out and every fan will pretend that it doesn't exist and block it from their memories. The only big game company I can think of that has failed to make an abomination of the Earth is Valve (and Bungie seeing as Halo Wars was made by Ensemble Studios)

squidmitts

Mar 16, 2011
Vkmies said:
I was SO MAD when Bethesda made Fallout 3 instead of Black Isle, even though they had the damn thing in development already! While I do enjoy the newer games, I am disappointed, since I personally would had preferred THIS FALLOUT 3 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuDKrY7eW0] over the one we had. I feel the same way about NV. I want an old-school Fallout. I rarelly support the change in genre during the game series. I would even prefer a new Fallout: Tactics [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VJOo-2F_wk]
This is exactly how I felt about the whole reroute of what I can only describe as one of the best games ever made (and it's equally awesome sequel). I played Fallout 3, enjoyed it but it was like playing a different game altogether (obviously hah) - sadly one that I'd rather just be called something like 'Apocalyptic Raider Open World Combat RPG'. The only thing that ties it to my memories of Fallout is the license (items, armours, characters, music, lore etc etc). Don't get me wrong, it's a good game but I hate to refer to it as a Fallout title. I'm no longer the majority though so I will accept it as 'a fact of life'.

When BoS came out I was okay with it. Why? Frankly it's so far removed from what Fallout was all about that it was *cough* 'just a wasteland coop shooter with the fallout license'. So even if at the time I wasn't impressed with it, at least it wasn't made as a direct sequel or anything more than a fun item-grabbing coop game.

Nobody is going to tell me that Dark Alliance/2 is supposed to expand the Baldur's Gate franchise - same with BoS - It never set out to change the world but it was actually pretty fun - IF you refer to it as Dark Alliance with guns in the desert.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
My reaction as a Fallout fan:
[HEADING=1]OH JESUS CHRIST NOT THAT![/HEADING]
My reaction as a New Fallout fan:
[HEADING=1]OH JESUS CHRIST NOT THAT![/HEADING]

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Nulmas said:
Mike Laserbeam said:
I don't understand OP... Are you saying you like BoS...? It's an abomination!

And here I thought that this thread might have been about Van Buren, that would have interested me...
Who, me? I never even touched that atrocity. I just figured this would spark a nice discussion.

imnotparanoid said:
Neverhoodian said:
You bastard you complete bastard, I just spent housrs on cracked going through various articles!
( I do love lists) and now this!
The exact same thing happened to me recently. Someone posted a tvtropes page in a thread on Cracked and now I'm addicted to it :p

Ironic Pirate said:
I'm going to have to admit, that song was pretty fucking awesome. I mean, the game sucks, and the music doesn't fit Fallout, I know. But still, that song was excellent.

Anyone know what it was?
I have no idea, but I guess it should be one of these: http://www.duckandcover.cx/official/fobos/music.html
Alright, thanks. I have some iTunesing to do, it seems.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Vkmies said:
I can respect that, even though I personally enjoy the slow paste of the isometric view and turn-based combat, no matter how badly it has aged. I do agree that it would need updating to make it feel tactical again, though. Personally, I believe isometric view is rather charming and could work on touch screens and computers, even today.
It's not really used in modern videogames for a reason. You simply can't do as much with an isometric perspective as with true 3D. And why limit your options so much? It's not like you can't set the camara in a third person game in an isometric viewpoint, and at the same time everyone who wants to pan around imposing structures and buildings and whatnot can still do so.

Really, you can please everyone easily, just using an old fashioned isometric engine is just caging your game for the sake of nostalgia.
evilneko said:
I still want to find it and play it.

Touchscreens bah. Nothing I own has one, nor do I plan to buy anything with one for the foreseeable future. Third Person is the natural evolution of the Isometric, games should not take a step back.
Well, we still have 2d around. One of the biggest selling steam games of the moment (Terraria) is 2d. Dozens of 2d-games are still released to the market. The fact that we have 3d shouldn't mean that all other viewpoints should die in a fire, ESPECIALLY when it's just about the personal preference. I don't think making a game that uses a primitive viewpoint is taking a step backwards, if anything it's bringing different possibilities and genres to the market, which is a good thing. I am not denying that Fallout 3 or NV are good games, 'cause they are, I am simply trying to defend another, different style of making a game.

Like Cowabungaa himself said, why limit your options? I personally think that letting a game-style die isn't giving options, I think it limits them. Letting this viewpoint die, would mean the death of another style of game. Even though it may be limiting to use isometric view, that might not be a bad thing. That is like saying that there is no use of using 2d, because 3d let's you see more. I don't really think having isometric games would hurt the industry. We have licensed games to do that.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
The fun part is, since the isometric view is basically a subset of the third/first-person view of FO3/NV, all you need is an option to lock the camera in place. :p

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I tried watching a Let's Play of Fallout 1, got bored and lost interest in about an hour. This being an RPG, it's probably more fun to play than watch. I saw pretty standard dungeon-crawling and ugly, fucked-up-looking [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UncannyValley] NPCs. Given today's "make everything look real" obsession, this "spinoff" probably wouldn't be too bad.

Thing is, it'd probably be shamelessly recycling an old game (also somewhat popular, I think) with an HD paintjob and likely called out as such. They're also unlikely to give up the "Oblivion with guns" model that (I think) has drawn in so much money, but I'm most likely overthinking the issue.

Aug 1, 2010
I would be rather intrigued when I first heard the announcement, but then terrified when I saw the clips.

And where is RON FUCKING PERLMAN???

Sep 14, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:

My response to each video, respectively.

I have to say that I truly have no idea what the fuck was supposed to be happening in those.
ha oh i forgot about that pic, i always laugh everytime i see it.

OT: that was...

*brain can't computer*

Idk what the hell those were..but they weren't any interest to me

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Vkmies said:
Well, we still have 2d around. One of the biggest selling steam games of the moment (Terraria) is 2d. Dozens of 2d-games are still released to the market. The fact that we have 3d shouldn't mean that all other viewpoints should die in a fire, ESPECIALLY when it's just about the personal preference. I don't think making a game that uses a primitive viewpoint is taking a step backwards, if anything it's bringing different possibilities and genres to the market, which is a good thing. I am not denying that Fallout 3 or NV are good games, 'cause they are, I am simply trying to defend another, different style of making a game.

Like Cowabungaa himself said, why limit your options? I personally think that letting a game-style die isn't giving options, I think it limits them. Letting this viewpoint die, would mean the death of another style of game. Even though it may be limiting to use isometric view, that might not be a bad thing. That is like saying that there is no use of using 2d, because 3d let's you see more. I don't really think having isometric games would hurt the industry. We have licensed games to do that.
As evilneko rightfully said; third person is the natural evolution of isometric. There is nothing isometric can offer that third person can't. It's different with 2D and 3D as 2D simply offers a completely different gameplay experience compared to 3D. Isometric compared to third-person? I'm not seeing it.

Having options is nice, but using archaic technology for the sake of using archaic technology is just pointless. It's dead easy to incorporate an isometric option in a third person game as well. I believe The Witcher did it, for example. Ain't that enough? You say it won't be a bad thing to restrict a modern Fallout game to isometric, but why would it be a good thing? Why would I want to lock my camara into place? What do I, someone who isn't hung up on nostalgia, have to gain from it? I'd like to look up to that huge, crumbling, 50's style skyscraper. Can't do that with isometric.

That said, I'd welcome a third person Fallout game with cutting edge graphics and every bit as sprawling and open as the first 2 Fallouts. Low intel playthroughs? Yes please. And let's throw in an isometric option to please the nostalgia fans.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
As much as everyone cries about Bethesda breaking your childhood and the lore etc etc

Brother of Steel was....the downfall of Interplay and Fallout

They fucked it up....so before you start blaming Bethesda the next time because you didnt like 3....remember where they drove it to..before they shot it in the head and pushed the car over the cliff...