Anti-Rape underwear

Eeeee0000

May 18, 2011
Jadedvet said:
Blow_Pop said:
Yes because women who get raped obviously have put themselves into a dangerous situation. Way to victim blame. Basically what you are saying is that any girl who gets raped by her boyfriend has put herself into a dangerous situation. And that any girl who goes out to have fun with her friends in celebration or whatever is automatically putting herself into a dangerous situation. Which is illogical. This is basically what you are implying. You might want to rethink that because I and I am sure other people resent that implication.
Wow.. Way to completely miss the entire point of my post.

Look at the first part of what I said. I don't think situation, in any way, excuses a rapist from the consequences. The victim has done no moral wrong and doesn't deserve any scorn from the public.

Not every rape victim can foresee and prevent the rape which is why I said often and not always. That said, pretending that the situation is never preventable is both foolish and dangerous. I'm sorry if that idea offends you.

My point is not to blame victims but to advocate a bit of common sense and education. The prevention of preventable rapes is what I'm looking for here.
So what exactly shouldn't women do?
Not be around their boyfriends except when they're horny? Don't drink? Don't go to parties? Don't go on dates with people they haven't known for years? Don't walk alone at night?

Can't you see how that it is completely stupid to say someone could have avoided things like that?

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I think they'd be too uncomfortable or painful to wear, or simply inconvenient, to wear for long periods of time. Really, until iron pants that need 8 keys and a key card to open, I don't think you could get much better than a rape horn. That also shoots angry mosquitos. At rapists.

*taking out pen and notebook*

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Jadedvet said:
Not every rape victim can foresee and prevent the rape which is why I said often and not always. That said, pretending that the situation is never preventable is both foolish and dangerous. I'm sorry if that idea offends you.
I'm fairly certain that if they could foresee and prevent the rape they probably wouldn't be rape victims.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Jadedvet said:
Blow_Pop said:
Yes because women who get raped obviously have put themselves into a dangerous situation. Way to victim blame. Basically what you are saying is that any girl who gets raped by her boyfriend has put herself into a dangerous situation. And that any girl who goes out to have fun with her friends in celebration or whatever is automatically putting herself into a dangerous situation. Which is illogical. This is basically what you are implying. You might want to rethink that because I and I am sure other people resent that implication.
Wow.. Way to completely miss the entire point of my post.

Look at the first part of what I said. I don't think situation, in any way, excuses a rapist from the consequences. The victim has done no moral wrong and doesn't deserve any scorn from the public.

My point is not to blame victims but to advocate a bit of common sense and education. The prevention of preventable rapes is what I'm looking for here.
Considering I have been told that all my rapes were preventable and I should have been able to foresee them. And none of them were foreseeable except to have the knowledge I do now (and none of them were me going out drinking or walking in dark alleys or dating "bad" guys. And yes I read the entire post.

Common sense isn't really so common anymore.

What you may see as preventable might not have been preventable to the person in the situation. Some people don't get the parental units who give good advice. Different people have different life experiences and you can't hold everyone to the same standards. At least not in this.

Aug 1, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Alright, I can sort of see what you're getting at, but clarification would be good.

What exactly constitutes "bad" discussion of self defense and how does that discussion apply any differently to a mugging versus a rape?

Saltarius

Aug 30, 2011
I prefer the one that put the rapist's dick in a vice, to be honest.

Make em' really think twice.

Dec 16, 2009
such a shame something like this even needs to exsist today.
on a side note, feel sorry for the wearer if shes desperate for the loo

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
So once again we're sending the message that rape prevention is the responsibility of women. Sure we could spend more time and effort socializing men to not rape people, because they aren't mindless savages who just hump anything they find and have no self control, but you're right, it would probably be easier to just design clothes that are harder to remove

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Their designs are underwhelming, and lack truly epic visionary quality of a seasoned weaponsmith. With $55,000 I would've at least come up with a prototype of a Wonderbra that supports, lifts, separates, augments and shoots jets of potent mace straight out of the nipples.

This about sums up my reaction to a woman wearing anti-rape underwear. Get the fuck out of there. I doubt that it'd stop an actual rapist though.

Jadedvet

Jul 1, 2013
Eeeee0000- For starters listen to friends and family . Yes, as Blowpop points out, not everyone has the benefit of such advice.

Drinking is fine but consider where you are before getting drunk - yes some parties should be avoided. I'm not a scary looking guy but I've never dated anyone who would get drunk without trusted company around. Eventually that was me but not at first.

Blowpop - I'm really sorry that happened to you, seriously.

My perspective comes from knowing someone who had plenty of good advice regarding her "bad boy" of a boyfriend, chose to ignore it and got hurt. I gave only sympathy - not an "I told you so" since it was too late at that point.

To be perfectly clear, she made a mistake that cost her but the wrongdoing was on him and him alone.

Slash - Men should know better and those who cannot control themselves should be put away. That doesn't change the fact there are still plenty of neanderthals lurking about.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Jadedvet said:
Eeeee0000- For starters listen to friends and family . Yes, as Blowpop points out, not everyone has the benefit of such advice.

Drinking is fine but consider where you are before getting drunk - yes some parties should be avoided. I'm not a scary looking guy but I've never dated anyone who would get drunk without trusted company around. Eventually that was me but not at first.

Blowpop - I'm really sorry that happened to you, seriously.

My perspective comes from knowing someone who had plenty of good advice regarding her "bad boy" of a boyfriend, chose to ignore it and got hurt. I gave only sympathy - not an "I told you so" since it was too late at that point.

To be perfectly clear, she made a mistake that cost her but the wrongdoing was on him and him alone.

Slash - Men should know better and those who cannot control themselves should be put away. That doesn't change the fact there are still plenty of neanderthals lurking about.
Its also a people in general as its not just men who rape. I know this is talking about clothing for women but I have had issues with this since I first saw a post on tumblr about it a few months ago.

And my first time with it was sleeping at a party because I was designated driver and my marine boyfriend stripped me and started having sex with me whilst asleep. That's apparently the joy of being a heavy sleeper and I was sleeping because I had almost no sleep from work.

Skull Bearer

Mar 6, 2012
Mozza444 said:
I would recommend this video to everybody in this thread:

Uh, that video is nothing but victim blaming, strawmen and misogyny. Hell, I'll go as far and say it's profoundly misandrist as well, with the idea that men cannot be taught simple concepts such as consent.

It's seriously sick.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
That's going to make for some pretty intense paranoia for the person wearing these things. Walking around all day wearing something that makes you fully aware that you think there's a fair chance you'll be raped.

Since the majority of rapes happen with someone the victim knows (and presumably trusts) then you'll literally need to wear these clothes all day. Rapes awful - as if I even needed to say that - but the mental damage thinking you're likely going to be raped has got to be pretty heavy too.

That said, I still think carrying a bottle of pepper spray, or even a small tazer isn't a bad idea for women who want to have some on their person. But those can be used in physical assaults where you need to defend yourself. The idea behind 'rape pants' however, is that the aggressor is going to just give up if he has a hard time exposing his victim. It does nothing for helping her get away from the situation.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Skull Bearer said:
Uh, that video is nothing but victim blaming, strawmen and misogyny. Hell, I'll go as far and say it's profoundly misandrist as well, with the idea that men cannot be taught simple concepts such as consent.

It's seriously sick.
Rapists know rape is wrong, it's punishable by law.
Telling them it's wrong doesn't help matters.

All that's left is to advise people on how to avoid it, it's honestly that simple.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I feel sorry for anyone paranoid enough to actually buy this. I mean ya, rape is a real threat, but so is getting shot, that doesn't mean we should all wear a bulletproof vests every time we leave the house.

It just seems like an unhealthy outlook to have on life.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I guess these are neat, shouldn't we be more focused on changing the attitudes towards rape before making rape physically harder to perform? I mean, both are noble causes, but the first one seems like a far more long-term solution, at least to me.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Asita said:
Huzzah if it works as advertised, but I don't understand how exactly they'd make something like that for a pair of briefs, at least not to any extent that provides more than a short distraction.
Lionsfan said:
So it's just underwear that's hard to take off?

I mean, they can still be taken off right?
Yes, but anything that slows a rapist down is going to benefit the potential target. You can still get into a locked door, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't bother locking it.

Also, don't most rapes occur between someone the girl knows?
I'm not sure why that changes anything, but yes.

Also, I'm not sure that specifically changes the activities involved, since people you know can go clubbing or on dates or even jogging.
I figure if a girl trusts a guy, and knows him, then the odds of her wearing the special underwear when she's around him are smaller.

Why bother wearing it, when the girl is "just going out for a few drinks with Mike from the office", or maybe "Yeah me and Bobby are going to Club X tonight, should be fun. He'll be there for me if anything goes wrong". Or, "Jimmy asked me to Prom yay! And we're gonna go to a house party afterwards with Sarah, her date, and Brittney/Adam"

I'm not against them, but I kinda agree with Colour Scientist above, that it sorta feels like pushing more onto the victim.

Horrible analogy[footnote]Well it's probably a simile[/footnote], but it's like if I've got a longtime friend who's also my roommate. I go outta town for two weeks, and don't lock my door, because whatever, I know and trust said person. And then they rob the shit out of my stuff.