Are most gamers into metal music?

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
The Escapist has a lot of metal fans for some reason. Perhaps it's just demographics - nerdy white teenage dudes are metal's target audience.

Me, I generally can't stand the stuff. I played through Guitar Hero Metallica and came up with a list of 5 songs I wanted to listen to again, let alone play through.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
brunothepig said:
About half (at least) the gamers I know are into Metal. Which is a fairly large amount, since I know Metal isn't like by 50% of people...
Certainly the Escapist seems to have a fairly large amount of Metalheads in the community.
For the record, yeah I'm a Metalhead too.
Flames66 said:
Lukeje said:
Flames66 said:
I don't know what the majority of gamers listen to. Metal would make sense though as alot of online gamers I have met are very impatient. I personally don't like overly heavy music.
What does impatience have to do with listening to metal music?
I'm not saying that all Metal listeners are impatient, but it is kinda designed to get your blood pumping. What I'm saying is that if someone is already getting frustrated in a game, having fast paced Metal music on might exasperate that.
I (and all my Metal friends) find that music can have a very calming effect. It all depends on the situation. I listen to Metal to fall asleep, and to wake up in the morning. To get me psyched up, or to calm me down. It's weird like that lol. Mostly when gaming Metal just has the effect of focusing me. I suppose sometimes it could cause impatience, but just as easily it could actually calm people down.
I compleatly agree, listen to one of Cliff Burtons instrumentals such as this epic peice

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
The only metal band I like is Nightwish. Right now I'm listening to Nemo on the Once album. They're sweet.

Other then that I'm pretty much a rock/classic rock fan.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I know a few that are, but others that aren't. The "gamers" that only play Halo 3, MW2, AC2, etc., I doubt all of them are metalheads, probably only a small percentage.

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
While I like pretty much everything I really prefer pop and dance music, which seem to be the two genres (along with rap) that are targetted with statements like "I like everything, except shitty pop and dance" :(

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
It's not the majority of what I listen to, and I never listen to music when I play a games.

But I like metal, yes

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
METAL!!!!!!! Most gamers? I don't know about that but some of the buddies that are gamers are metalheads. I do dig the metal though.

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
I like metal and hard rock, real country they don;t play on the radio,classic country they try to play on the radio 90s hip hop and R&B a bit of rap a bit of this and that.
ezeroast said:
I cant stand metal, its just noise to me...
Most music is noise, sometimes one digs the lyrics or the noise or the rhythm the most.

I am more lyric centric than noise centric.
I guess i mean from what i hear its over complicated with too much going on, i like stuff like The Clash, The Saints, Nofx (just for fun), some Against me, Dead Kennedys. I like listening to the lyrics and understanding them. I guess the first thing i think of when i hear people say "Metal" is that Norse crap with screaming or Slipknot. I used to work with a guy who play it all the time and always felt like blocking my ears or snapping his cd's. I actually deep fried a couple of them and threw them away.

[guys_its_ok]

Jul 1, 2010
Honestly I don't really listen to a lot of any music, but when i do it will either be Primus or Daft Punk. But also pretty much all the music from the 80s is just fantastic, the campy pop and the just freakin' awesome rock/metal/whatever you wanna call it. Examples: Dire Straights (straits?), that bad to the bone song, and that robot unicorn attack song oh my god it's so awesome. Classic rock ftw.

Oskar K

Feb 21, 2010
Ozzy Osbourne Gonna see him the 30th this month,, saw KISS june 10th, and Motley Crue last year June 16th. So yeah.. imma metal head... Or Rock dude or whatever you wanna call it xD

Crueheads are best, fuck the rest! (Not to be taken seriously)

Join the KISS Army! (To be taken seriously)

All Aboard!

EDIT: Slipknot is not "metal" its a cat dying while being force fed a microphone.. and screamo/grindcore/everything with a dude choking on a fish bone or something is not metal.. its wannabe music.. is almost as bad as justin bieber

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
vallorn said:
[HEADING=1]MEEETTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL![/HEADING]

i also have a rather eclectic taste but i generaly prefer metal.

im also playing Brutal Legend right now... (how do i get an umlaut?)
Can you tell me what the hell the hornthrower is? ive been everywhere on the map and i dont want to go on google cause i feels that cheating.

OT: Ninja'd about the metal but the point still stands, metal will reign supreme.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Metal all the way. Except for deathmetal. Don't care for it since the lyrics sound like...well...I don't really know to be honest.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
ezeroast said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I like metal and hard rock, real country they don;t play on the radio,classic country they try to play on the radio 90s hip hop and R&B a bit of rap a bit of this and that.
ezeroast said:
I cant stand metal, its just noise to me...
Most music is noise, sometimes one digs the lyrics or the noise or the rhythm the most.

I am more lyric centric than noise centric.
I guess i mean from what i hear its over complicated with too much going on, i like stuff like The Clash, The Saints, Nofx (just for fun), some Against me, Dead Kennedys. I like listening to the lyrics and understanding them. I guess the first thing i think of when i hear people say "Metal" is that Norse crap with screaming or Slipknot. I used to work with a guy who play it all the time and always felt like blocking my ears or snapping his cd's. I actually deep fried a couple of them and threw them away.
LOL Well you can stand what you can stand I like acouple slipkont songs, some korn most sub dub micro machine some/most matalica soem Iron maiden (have The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg as a ear worm and I loves it 0-o). I like self doubting ansty and or kick ass metal/songs tho theres a cut off point when it becomes emoy or bitchy noise.
Theres not much I really hate but maybe half of new country witch is marketed to effeminate tweens*shudders* and most of gangster rap which is the same song with a different beat.... LOL

If anything I am most turned off by most new music across all genres the majority of it is caned and forgetable, hell I turned off my TV and radio 10ish years ago and never went back the the un filtered and un canned internet is a much better place to enjoy media on.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
MikailCaboose said:
Metal all the way. Except for deathmetal. Don't care for it since the lyrics sound like...well...I don't really know to be honest.
Emoy bitchy whiney nonsense?(I do like some deathmetal but I am more a song to song person than a band person IE play me a song and I can tell you if I like it or not and I always forget who sings what half the time)

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Bit of everything works. Just metal gets boring quick. It's also pretty regressive in terms of musical effort and grows into skill showoff rather quick.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I mostly listen to metal/punk/rock/ska, but really heavy metal(Death or black metal, that kind of thing) really isn't my kinda thing, I mainly like heavy/classic metal or thrash metal. I'm not the kind of metalhead that wears those too-large black T-shirts with skeletons on them.

In my opinion, Scandinavia's sole decent contribution to metal is Mustasch.