Oskar K

Feb 21, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
Oskar K said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Oskar K said:
Nadlice said:
Oskar K said:
EDIT: Slipknot is not "metal" its a cat dying while being force fed a microphone.. and screamo/grindcore/everything with a dude choking on a fish bone or something is not metal.. its wannabe music.. is almost as bad as justin bieber
Please don't dismiss 2 whole subgenres of music. You either understand your statement was hyperbole (and clearly don't care), or you genuinely think you are the only person to not enjoy screaming or growling.

I cannot stand slipknot, but I don't insult everybody at all similar to them because of it.

I'm... confused about using Beiber as an insult. Sure I dislike him and his music, but it seems out of place as an insult. I assume most people dislike it because it is simple and caters itself only to preteen girls. I can't see you have the same problem with Napalm Death.
I dun get it?
I think thats the point. *rolls eyes*

But more over you are a bit harsh in lumping together and dismissing it all just cuse you think one is better than another.
Yeah okay.. but i still dont see why i shouldent hate on grindcore n stuff like that when i clearly hate it
You can hate it just not with all the vileness and vitriol as something like teen pop deserves. ^_~
Haha you sir, are a very smart person! ITs a dead! :p

The Aimless One

Aug 22, 2009
A lot of gamers seem to like metal where im from. So do I.
We had a discussion about it the other day.......

We've all been influenced by 8- and 16bit game tunes.....a lot of wich are basicly metal-songs.
performed by a 4bit synthesizer.

Just a thought.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Because, and this isn't trying to be racist at all, but most people who are black like Rap/hip hop, and most white people like metal music. Don't believe me, attend a concert for each, you'll see a larger number of white people at metal and black at hip hop. Most people who are into hip hop are also more sexually active, because watch the dances. Hip hop and rap is a lot about the erotic dances between people, where metal is about beating the shit out of each other. Thus, gamers.

Also, when you play games, you're killing things or fighting things in almost every video game. Metal music is perfect for those games, where as playing hip hop isn't as, battlely feeling. I'd rather kill my opponent while listening to a head banging solo than listening to the same beat repeated over and over and some guy rich enough to put it's entire audience to shame acting like he knows what it's like to be a gansta in the hood livin' off scraps and fighting for everything.

I like any kind of music except Rap, the falseness and just the obnoxiousness of the beat turn me off that (as well as techno)

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ZippyDSMlee said:
amaranth_dru said:
Pop music is all about fads, and has very little fan loyalty, most fans being swayed by MTV. Seriously, does anyone still consider themselves a fan of Vanilla Ice or Boyz 2 Men?
Metal has a fanbase that seems to be pretty loyal, ages well and encompasses a lot of diverse people.
As for gamers and metal, I can't speak for all gamers, but I've noticed its helped me concentrate to put a metal playlist on (current example: Children of Bodom, Rammstein, Pantera, Five Finger Death Punch, Washed in Blood (local), Dead in Bed (local)). While playing this music I do better in multiplayer matches, get less frustrated by insanely hard boss fights and generally even drive better (when the rare mood hits that I want to actually play a racing game).
Its about personal preference but I have noticed a good portion of people who play games tend to also be into at the very least classic rock if not metal.
I still like boys to men and Bell Biv DeVoe , then again I am strange....or damaged ...I prefer strange..it sounds better :p
I knew I'd find one of you... *pulls out the quick-scope*

XD

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
OmegaXIII said:
I'm going to Bloodstock in 2 days so yeah i guess i am :p
Me too!

Looks to be a good one.

On topic: I mainly listen to metal, but to be honest if I don't have control of the music I shall listen to it.

When it comes to metal however theres a few things I get annoyed by: the elitism of some metal heads ("Ugh you listen to they're not metal, you're shit") And boy bands that parade as metal bands (for example Linkin Park)

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
A lot of them are into electronica and chiptune or, unfortunately, video game soundtracks.
I'd say that out of the gamers I've discussed music with, the largest percentage of them are into metal.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Definitely a metal head... actually looking for some new stuff similar to Killswitch Engage.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
sketchesformysweet said:
I have an incredibly eclectic taste in music, and I really do listen to a bit of everything - from electronica, to classical, to rock, to blues, to noise, to hip hop, and etc etc...

But I've noticed that a large number of people of here seem to listen to metal music, and many gamers that I've known in the past have had similar tastes.

So my question for you all to ponder and discuss is to a majority of gamers seem to have similar tastes (in music and whatever else) and interests, and why do you think this is?
I for one hate metal I just bothers me. I also have a very eclectic taste in music but there are still things I dislike. I'm in the minority by liking Green Day and other such punk groups (Yes I count them as punk) However, I'm still a hardcore gamer and my music taste comes from my up bringing and my punk life style. My gaming and my musical taste come from two different parts of my life. As I like to say I'm a punk-geek.
As for why I think most gamers like metal well I guess it seems to fit the life style though I sadly know few gamers in my personal life. But also take note the the Escapist for some odd reason is full of metal heads. The few gamers I do know like a mix of music like me with metal in the mix.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
I'm not into metal, myself.
By no means am I into pop or rap or whatever else is big right now - I'm weird, I just don't like metal. I like 1930s/40s cabaret-style music. Which, lucky me, makes up pretty much the entire soundtrack of The Saboteur!

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
I have a friend who will only listen to Gogol Bordello and The Hush Sound.
Another who is a trance head
Another who is strictly emo (but the emo from the 90s and early 2000, it matters to him) and the most metal he gets is his CDs of Coheed and Cambria
And another that is so punk he bleeds blue collars.

So no. I think metal generates more with internet forum junkies since it is easier to spread and people don't step in just to say it is just noise...as much.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
MikailCaboose said:
Metal all the way. Except for deathmetal. Don't care for it since the lyrics sound like...well...I don't really know to be honest.
Emoy bitchy whiney nonsense?(I do like some deathmetal but I am more a song to song person than a band person IE play me a song and I can tell you if I like it or not and I always forget who sings what half the time)
Well, no. I'm refering to Dethklok, to which I can't always understand.

Stickman Sam

Apr 18, 2008
I love jazz-fusion, hip-hop, drum'n'bass, metal, anything good really, although I do get the feeling there is a large group of gamer/metalheads.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Myself, I'm not really into metal, but then again I don't go around calling myself "gamer".

I despise that self-imposed label.

No offense.

GLaDOS V 2.1

Sep 22, 2008
I always listen to DnB and dubstep and stuff when on console but when I'm on PC I can listen to anything. Like start from J-pop and work my way to speedcore (Which I would never listen to by itself)

theklng

May 1, 2008
Skoldpadda said:
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Myself, I'm not really into metal, but then again I don't go around calling myself "gamer".

No offense.
yeah, i always found player more preferable

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
I do enjoy my share of metal, but I'm more into J-pop and J-rock. I don't actually know why I enjoy it so much, I just do.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
theklng said:
Skoldpadda said:

No offense.
yeah, i always found player more preferable
Ahh me too :cool:

No seriously, that's not what I meant. It's more about the labeling than about the actual word making up the label. But it's personal preference and probably not very wise to go into on a gaming forum. :p

But I play games, lots of them. I'm just not going to identify myself with it, because of the danger of justified over-indulgence. And escapism is a bit of a slippery slope, for me at least.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

I'm one of those douches that likes Radiohead.