Arkham Asylum Pirates Get a Gimpy Batman

Hashcurt

Aug 22, 2009
nice try by rocksteady to do something along these lines.

However, similar stuff has been done with Grand Theft Auto 4 on the pc (Drunk mode)

Personally, I hate Drm and the general attitude by developers upon the standard game buying public, especially the ignorance at the availability of games for consoles being so widely available on the internet.

the only people that DRM stops is the layman copier and dumb pirate. the knowledgeable pirates will find a way around it, leaving the genuine customers with a lot of background shit on their computer.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
That is easily one of the coolest things I've read this week.

I already want to get Arkham Asylum as an awesome game. Now I want to give the developers my money out of sheer awe. BEST. DRM. EVER.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I think its the way to go, very awesome job, only problem is telling people why it's bugging on them, then they know its DRM.

I paid $120AUD for the game, couldn't wait for postage from the UK so I paid an extra $50 just so I could get the game earlier, so screw you pirates.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Brillient idea. THAT'S the form of DRM ALL games should be using. I kinda wanna see a youtube video of that falling to death part.

Asymptote Angel

Feb 6, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Since its acquisition of Rocksteady parent Eidos, Square-Enix has announced plans to use similar DRM in its upcoming Final Fantasy XIII, where any attempt to use magic will always result in summoning a rampaging horde of Chocobos to crush the party, the player, and anyone they've ever loved.
I might have to pirate the game just to see this.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Rocksteady was already awesome but now they are just really really really really Awesome !

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
This will not work, if anything it will just take up another hour or two of a pirate's time.

Oh yeah, what about people who bought a legit copy and had the copyright turn that off on them? Any of that happen yet?

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
It would be pretty degrading to the programmers if it was really an actual glitch or as-of-yet unimplemented gameplay mechanic, considering it hasn't actually been released yet. I know it's close to the release date, but that's like someone walking up to you halfway through an english exam or something and loudly pointing out that it's only half finished, and wondering if you'd noticed.

jayman52

Sep 12, 2009
archvile93 said:
That is pretty funny, but I think they should've taken it one step further. I think they should have included a virus that does something truly diabolical such as delete the offender's entire HDD, or cause their mother board to overheat and break (yes that can happen).
Yeah, if they did that they would have gotten sued by the pirate and the pirate would have won because the company would have had no right to destroy the pirate's console no matter how he obtained the game. Legally or otherwise.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
I swear that the joker did this.

Either that or rocksteady is even smarter than the riddler.

Rocksteady, you have earnt yourselves a medal.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
karmapolizei said:
theultimateend said:
There is no other kind of DRM that hasn't burdened me.

The game was awesome, I've seen no legit folks having issues, and the game was awesome.
Yeah, that's really surprising with a game that isn't even released yet.
Let me say it again: With every kind of DRM, false-positives are bound to happen - read: A portion of legit copies will be falsely recognized as pirated, and I have no reason to believe Arkham Asylum will differ from that in any way.

On reflection, I think in terms of customer relations, this kind of copy protection does even worse than the regular kind. If an online activation DRM or a regular copy protection mechanism fails to recognize a legit copy, they will tell you the why's and how's, so a customer at least knows what's wrong. But what will a regular customer (who does not follow the gaming press closely) think if they come across this crap? Probably something like this: "This game is broken. Sucks"
Well I'm currently playing it on the PS3, but I'll leave it at that since that first sentence alone was pretty rude sounding. I'm not sure when people required that people be assholes when they respond on the internet.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Terramax said:
It shouldn't take long for a pirate to re-program it to include all the original moves.

Not that I honestly care too much. I played the demo. It sucked. If anyone lacks a moral code, it's Eidos for releasing such an un-enjoyable pile of rubble.
Any system can be hacked - that much is entirely true. The real key in combatting piracy, at least as far as the bottom line is concerned is delying the inevitable. Most games have their DRM cracked in a matter of days after release, and the longer one can hold the hackers at bay the less real damage they may do. Most games seem to sell more than half of the copies they ever will sell in the first few weeks, and in the space of a month or two even a white hot title's sales will slow to a trickle.

If memory serves me, Spryo, Year of the Dragon had a similar system, wherein there were multiple layers of DRM. The first two came out up front (disc check and copy protection) and were, as one would expect, quickly bypassed. The third came in the form of the removal of several items that were critical to progressing through the game, resulting in a similarly broken game after a few hours of gameplay. The brilliance of this move is that one may not immediately recognize the DRM as such and simply think the game is broken for other reasons. Since there are a few enterprising scoundrels who make money of the piracy racket, such people get the joy of dealing with unhappy and potentially unsavory customers. What's more, some of the people who may be using a pirated game may desperately want to continue playing and won't wait for the hackers to produce a patch and therefore end up purchasing the game through legitimate channels. In a single stroke, such a system manages to delay the full cracking of a game, damages a pirate's ability to profit off of a game, damages the good name of the hacker who supposedly cracked the game and diverts some good hearted but misguided people from a life of crime back into the fold.

And as a side note - DRM has been in place in console games for years. It just tends to be far less intruisive than that on PC's thanks to the much higher degree of dificulty involved in getting ones system to play a pirated game in the first place. I'm sure people recall the famous mod chips for the PSOne for example, a piece of hardware that among other things allowed the game to execute code on copied discs.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Codemasters used a similar DRM in Operation Flashpoint years ago.

The CD was created with a pattern of 'scratches' that CD copy programs corrected.

The DRM code then reduced your shooting accuracy by about 99%.

Was hooked in at so many random points (and used 'embedded', repeated code not a single method call) that it proved very hard to completely remove.