Autistic Xbox Player's Mother Admits He Cheated

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Reed Spacer said:
So in essence what you're saying here is this is now even less news than it was already.
KO4U said:
Why is this in the news? :( :(
Because while under the heading news, the editors have always added little story's they're interested in too. It doesn't all have to be news.

The Big Pickel said:
Oh please everyone that is on there high freaking horse . Oh he shouldn't have cheated hes a bad boy. How many of your achievements have you gotten 100% on your own with no help from any one else . Youtube/friend/faqs everyone does so grow up quit hammering the kid. As for his disability until you know the full extent don't assume you know what the kid can and can't do. Autism can be a real *****. The mother over reacted to lash out at Xbox facts are fact kid got caught.
I've never cheated, aside from FAQ's which show you how to do them /yourself/. And yes, autism can be a *****, but it was clear from the start that something was amiss there. So i'll gladly stay on this high horse.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Zdenek was aware that her son gave his information to another player, but still paints her son in an innocent light. "I did warn him about this but seeing it wasn't a bank password or anything big, it's just a game we didn't worry about it too much and the boy just offered to give him Recon Armor, which he did," she said.
1. Really? It's not a big deal? You mean... it's not worth pushing a story out there about how this whole affair "devastated" your child, because it's not a big deal? Funny you should say that now that you know there's no lawsuit in it for you.

2. You realize that if you've ever ordered anything on XBL with your credit card, and it has that information saved (for your convenience), this new kid could then buy shit with your credit card, right? It's a bigger deal than you might think.

3. And all of this has exactly what to do with your child being autistic? Considering we still haven't even established the type or degree of autism, even that claim is suspect, but still... what bearing did that have on this, other than using this opportunity to teach your child he can use his disability as a shield from criticism and consequence?

This woman is really playing stupid straight by-the-numbers, isn't she? This woman does not need to be in charge of a child.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
The Big Pickel said:
How many of your achievements have you gotten 100% on your own with no help from any one else . Youtube/friend/faqs everyone does so grow up quit hammering the kid. .
Yeah, that's relevant to the situation isn't it... [small]/sarcasm[/small]. The kid paid somebody to hack his gamerscore for him to earn tangible in-game rewards; and his mother [who later went on to publicly criticize Microsoft] knew about such activities; and didn't reveal them until Microsoft had received poor press...how can you possibly defend those actions?

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Nice to have a name for this guy, so that we can look up his Profile. Not a pretty picture, although it looks like he's starting over again on Reach.

What a lot of people don't realize is that each achievement you get is timestamped, but only if your online when you get it. If you're offline, it doesn't get timestamped, and then starts to suspicious when said achievement is...

Vidmaster Challenge: Annual --- Halo 3 said:
After 9/25/08, complete Halo on 4-player Legendary LIVE co-op, with Iron, and everyone in Ghosts.
Microsoft should have probably just said this in the first place, although I've found that when they punish someone, they start by giving the vague reason first ('You know what you did, CHEATER, and we know you know.'), then revealing the full story when everyone starts getting on their backs.

jamesmax

Aug 25, 2009
why did he not just the achievements the way i do GET THEM YOURSLFE BY PALYING THE GAME

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
The Big Pickel said:
Oh please everyone that is on there high freaking horse . Oh he shouldn't have cheated hes a bad boy. How many of your achievements have you gotten 100% on your own with no help from any one else . Youtube/friend/faqs everyone does so grow up quit hammering the kid. As for his disability until you know the full extent don't assume you know what the kid can and can't do. Autism can be a real *****. The mother over reacted to lash out at Xbox facts are fact kid got caught.
100% of my achievements have been obtained by me. Using gamefaqs or other forms of guides doesn't equate with giving your acct. to someone to get something for you. As for his "disability", I personally don't give a damn. I can barely use my right hand from my stroke, so does that mean if I play someone online they should have to use their controller upside down to compensate for that? Hell no it doesn't.

Yes, the mother overreacted and libeled a major company by making it seem as if they were playing "kick the autistic" when she knew damn well he had broken the rules. Honestly, your post sickens me since you pretty much say that being autistic gives you the right to follow whatever rules you want to instead of the rules everyone else has to follow. You make it seem as though you believe his illness entitles him to behave in any way he desires with no regard to the norms of society. By doing so, you basically say that autistic people are sub-human and can't follow the same rules as everyone else because they will never understand them.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
My question is, did the kid understand he was cheating? I'm not convinced he understood the nuance of the situation. Which doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished for it, just the same, I'm just wondering.
Pretty much depends on the type and degree of autism. It's unfortunate, but a lot of us tend to immediately think "Rain Man" when we hear the term--either complete genius, total 'retard,' or a combination of the two. Most of the time, you'd notice some awkwardness, but not much else.

It is possible, though, that any child of this age would know they were "cheating," but wouldn't understand the gravity of the offense--especially a child with a diagnosed problem in identifying social norms. The punishment is probably a little immature itself. Not wrong, per se, but childish in its implementation. (And frankly, I go back and forth on game content that is gated behind online-only achievements... but that's a whoooole 'nuther discussion.)

At the end of it all, though, everyone's coming down heavier on the mother for this one, and rightfully so. We can't really weigh in on the kid without further details of his condition, and I don't see any reason to think we'll be getting those anytime soon.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
LegendaryGamer0 said:
MetalDooley said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Actually, the last part is partially incorrect. I got a metric fuckload of the Mercenaries 2 online achievements offline due to a glitch that I did not do purposely. 35/40. No, I'm not giving them back because I've done everything to get them legit since then.
Most of the Mercenaries 2 cheevs can be gotten offline.There's only a handful that require you to be online
Yet I got 35/40. Most of the online ones. Many achievements that I hadn't even gotten close to getting. But, ehh, the game is buggy as hell so, ehh.

Still somewhat relevant.
I think I misread your post.I thought you were saying that 35/40 were online achievements rather than you unlocked 35/40 including the online ones

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dastardly said:
Susan Arendt said:
My question is, did the kid understand he was cheating? I'm not convinced he understood the nuance of the situation. Which doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished for it, just the same, I'm just wondering.
Pretty much depends on the type and degree of autism. It's unfortunate, but a lot of us tend to immediately think "Rain Man" when we hear the term--either complete genius, total 'retard,' or a combination of the two. Most of the time, you'd notice some awkwardness, but not much else.

It is possible, though, that any child of this age would know they were "cheating," but wouldn't understand the gravity of the offense--especially a child with a diagnosed problem in identifying social norms. The punishment is probably a little immature itself. Not wrong, per se, but childish in its implementation. (And frankly, I go back and forth on game content that is gated behind online-only achievements... but that's a whoooole 'nuther discussion.)

At the end of it all, though, everyone's coming down heavier on the mother for this one, and rightfully so. We can't really weigh in on the kid without further details of his condition, and I don't see any reason to think we'll be getting those anytime soon.
I think we're on the same page, my friend. :)

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
GiantRaven said:
So if I cheat...I get free Xbox live?

Or does that only apply in special circumstances?
Only if you have a disability and you complain to the media about being innocent and mistreated, without revealing that you are actually guilty.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
necronmm said:
Still getting a free month of Xbox live gold for lying? Wow
If they were on silver, then a month of gold will statistically lead to it being renewed, thus more money and Microsoft wins.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Wait... Is the son still getting "a free month of Xbox Live Gold and a new Gamertag for Jackson to start again"? Even after it became clear he really, really cheated?