Bethesda Has "No Timeline" for Dawnguard on PC and PS3

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
unoleian said:
sonofliber said:
so you give the middle finger to the ones that make you what you were?, fuck you microsoft ***** i hope you go bioware route and burn in hell
Yeah, because the open engine and free mod development platform and tools is a gigantic middle finger indeed. Try harder.

edit-- so that apparently says microsoft and not Bethesda. Kind of missed that. Oh well, I'll just leave this here anyways.
no, you were right first time. He's calling Bethesda Microsofts *****.

But whilst I think his post is a little over the top. He does have a point. People have been waiting for this since it was released on the xbox, and waiting until today, the day we expected it, to tell us we can't have it (at least not yet) does feel like they're ignoring us. to be honest, I think more people are annoyed about the lack of communication more than anything else.

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
Crono1973 said:
Hattingston said:
Crono1973 said:
Hattingston said:
I was angry about this as well, but to be honest, and I'm sure I sound like a fanboy here, I think they probably have a legitimate reason for holding the dlc back. Bethesda isn't (I always get this wrong when describing companies, bear with me) a stupid company, so it doesn't make sense for them to alienate 2/3 of their audience. It also doesn't make sense in that they have the content created, so why WOULDN'T they offer it to people to buy? There's 0 downside for them at this point, its port and sell.
With that in mind, I think that Bethesda probably has major bugs or something that they need to iron out before release,major enough that they don't know how long it will take, and don't want to get an angry fan response if they don't have it ready by that estimate. With that being said, this was a rather stupid way to announce it.
They released the PS3 version of Skyrim as an unplayable mess but you think they are holding back DLC because of bugs? That same DLC was a buggy mess on the 360 and they didn' hold it back.

No, I think they are just in Microsoft's back pocket and are stalling as long as they can on this DLC.
Exactly, ps3 Skyrim was a bit of a PR disaster. They could easily have been getting pressure from Microsoft to put out the DLC sooner, and it was buggy as a result. Now they can either test the damn thing, or get yet more bad rep for the Ps3 version being buggy as hell (again). Besides that, Microsoft comes to them with the exclusivity stuff, it doesn't make sense for Bethesda to suck up to them.
LOL, you're blaming Microsoft for Bethesda putting out buggy DLC? Bethesda puts out buggy software, always have, end of story.
With your argument, absolutely nothing can make Bethesda games buggier. Yeah, they always have buggy games, but the huge launch of Skyrim made that kind of public and embarrassing. EVERYONE knows what Skyrim is; outside of the gaming crowd (at least where I live) no one has any idea what Fallout or Morrowind is, they might have a vague awareness that there was a thing called Oblivion. With a spotlight on your flaws, you might try to clean up a bit.

I'm not trying to be an apologist or make excuses for anyone, I'm trying to see if this statement can be interpreted in a way that makes any business sense, because frankly, the impression it gives does not.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
Thanks Bethesda. I was really hyped up about the expansion, then I realized that I wouldn't be able to play it for 30 days after 360 players. A week later the hypes lessened and I realized it was buggy and just alright. Now it's a month later, the hype is non-existent and there is no release date. I have absolutely no desire to buy your DLC anymore so I am pleased to be able to have saved a few bucks.

Things you can buy on steam instead of Dawnwatever.

Endless Space.

MTG 2013 Fat Pack.

Civ 5 Gods and kings.

Everything by Paradox.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
If I have Borderlands 2 before Dawnguard is released on PC and PS3, I just won't buy it.

Luk3us

Jan 28, 2010
I dislike the concept of 'exclusive' releases like this. But now its getting silly with them unable to even name a date? Really?

Well good thing we have Skyrim Nexus to hold us over. :D

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Azuaron said:
But don't be an entitled twit.
Every time someone misuses the word 'entitled' on the internet, a cute, fuzzy animal dies a painful death somewhere in the world.

True story.

On topic: The truth is, I don't care much. I was looking forward to buying this DLC, but if given the choice of DLC or mods there is no contest. Mods win every time.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010

well screw you Bethesda...
now if you excuse me I am going to resume rolling about with my huge pile of summer sale games

(they are probably waiting till the sale is over so it wont effect it well on the pc version anyway as for ps3 well they just hate Sony :p)

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'm not surprised if this turns into a no-show for PS3 and PC.
Since the games beginning every time they talked about platforms they almost always left out the PS3 and PC specifically.

I thought it was weird at the time, especially when Todd Howard mentioned the expansion at E3 and specifically said, regarding the release date: It will be out June 36 for Xbox 360.

I found it very odd that the two extra seconds of breath it would have taken to say "and PS3 and PC down the road." was just too much for him.

Of course this could just be a delay thing, for whatever reason, but in the end we end up with the expansion later (and no less fixed I'd wager). Were I a conspiracy theorist I'd say they never specifically said PS3 or PC that way they could lead us along and claim "Hey, we never actually SAID it would come out for those platforms."

I'll wait and see what this does.
If it turns out to be a no-show, well I probably won't buy another Bethesda game.
That hurt to type but, if this manifests in the worse way, I'd honestly feel there to be no other appropriate action.

EDIT: Also Borderlands 2 will fill Dawnguards spot easily and if the Dragon's Dogma sequel turns out good, I won't miss the next Beth game too much.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Why do they do Xbox exclusivity first? Why not just give the PC guys a crack at it first, then give it to the people who can't mod?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Sober Thal said:
You all sound so surprised. Don't you remember the news report on how Bethesda doesn't like having to make games for multiple platforms, especially PC? It's infinitely easier to just focus on one.

It'll happen eventually tho, you'll all get the chance to play Dawnguard too.

But no, this community would rather have a bug filled mess, than wait for them to finish. It's kinda sad. The whole damned if ya do, damned if ya don't thing. On the plus side, ***** a lot, and often, and I'm sure you'll get an announced timeline sooner than later. (not sarcasm)
The bug testers for the 360 version reported numerous bugs, some of them multiple times, that still ended up in the game.

It would be fine and dandy if they were taking extra time to fix the expansion, but their past actions haven't shown that to be true.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
That's okay, I quit playing Skyrim back in December anyway. I would have bought Dawnguard had it come out this month, but since it isn't, I'm trading Skyrim in towards Borderlands 2.

jokulhaups

Aug 13, 2008
*shrug* As a PS3 user I was going to be mad about this, but then I remembered I've been able to see almost all of the DLC just by watching LPs on YouTube. So what exactly am I missing out on? There isn't anymore hype surrounding this DLC and now I find out the next DLC release is going to be the same exclusive crap, so no reason to ever get my hopes up, and no reason to think about buying from Bethesda.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Sober Thal said:
piinyouri said:
Sober Thal said:
You all sound so surprised. Don't you remember the news report on how Bethesda doesn't like having to make games for multiple platforms, especially PC? It's infinitely easier to just focus on one.

It'll happen eventually tho, you'll all get the chance to play Dawnguard too.

But no, this community would rather have a bug filled mess, than wait for them to finish. It's kinda sad. The whole damned if ya do, damned if ya don't thing. On the plus side, ***** a lot, and often, and I'm sure you'll get an announced timeline sooner than later. (not sarcasm)
The bug testers for the 360 version reported numerous bugs, some of them multiple times, that still ended up in the game.

It would be fine and dandy if they were taking extra time to fix the expansion, but their past actions haven't shown that to be true.
That's not my point. My point is, imagine how shit it would be if they released it early.

Just because the headlines here are made to get people up in arms, doesn't mean that 'there is no timeline'. They just haven't announced it yet.

Imagine the fury if they released it too soon. It would (in theory) be an even worse mess than what it might be.

But I was serious about the ***** and complain part. If enough people complain, Bethesda will give more details.

(and no, I haven't noticed any bugs in Dawnguard, nor did I notice many at all after for Skyrim release. I'm blessed by Angels.)
You do have a point there. If the game was in any worse shape, it would basically be like the dev version of Dead Island that got released on accident.

Not speaking for other people, but I myself said that while it's a possibility, I'm going to wait and see what happens with this, and did not commence screaming about there not going to be any DG on PC or PS3. If it does just turn out to be waiting, I'm fine with that. Have been since day one of it's announcement and the subsequent announcement of 360 exclusivity.But it would help Beth out tremendously to not be so vague.

Bethesda has really terrible PR. You have to be daft in the head to write "We have not announced release plans for Dawnguard on platforms other than Xbox 360 (available worldwide). As soon as there's any new information to share, we'll let everyone know." and not think it's going to cause problems. Would it be that difficult to give a date? An estimate? An approximation? Hell even a magic eight ball would be more definitive than Beth PR.

People are overreacting, yes. But Bethesda doesn't get out of all the blame here for me.
If they were a bit more transparent with their customers and not act like a faceless machine, people's attitudes may just improve.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
I didn't actually know it was exclusive to 360 until now...That sucks. I sort of, kinda of, little bit, not really at all, understand why they wouldn't put it on PS3 yet but PC?

It might be tech issues...I would like to think it's that but it's probably something else :(

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Sad Shinsei is sad...
I've been counting days and then this, makes me sad...