BioWare Co-Founder Promises Closure For Mass Effect 3

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Lillowh said:
Holy crap this man knows how to PR like a boss. Even though they love what they made and what their first response based on instinct was, which the admittance of shows that they're actually looking at themselves instead of just shutting us out. Honestly, nobody should be able to insult them for what their first instinctive response was because almost everyone does the same thing with something they're really proud of making and from their position it was probably like presenting a painting of your senior class that all your relatives and friends said was beautiful that you made to signify how you'll miss them, and everyone in the room snickers and calls it shitty). To me the biggest surprise of this statement was that although they believer what they made was great, he's taking legitimate criticism of his work into account constructively, and not being completely arrogant about it and saying we're "playing it wrong" or something like that, he's actually admitting they might have made some mistakes and using the word humility in regards to something they need to have? I hope this is a sign of Bioware getting knocked back to reality from the "everything we make is instant gold bars financially and review-wise," attitude it seems they've been slipping into that was probably the cause of the lower quality of their work that has been happening since they started getting into that phase. Maybe they'll return to the quality of work that they used to produce.

On the other hand, and I know he says they want to have artistic integrity with this. I feel they threw that out somewhere between the freshly dead corpse after DA2 (I still loved DA2, not nearly as much as DA:O and DA:O:A, so if a frash corpse of a Bioware writer is what caused the game to be what it was, the body was already picked apart by crows by the end of 3. Seems like ending of Neon Genesis all over again. Even though this technically makes more sense then the ME3 ending, imagine if this was in the last few pages of The Return of the King (would make more since Magic actually exists here and the "most important character in the universe" has been introduced in the series before this page). Do you think people would accept this ending if it was the artist's vision that Tolkien wrote?

Yeah, I didn't think so...
I agree with your points, and the modified end to the Lord of the Rings is both funny and accurate. BUT I would add the small criticism that, in the ME3...

Sauron/the AI in ME3 weren't created to kill everyone exactly - they were on a mission to convert the organics into Reapers to effectively safe guard them. Whilst that's still an insane 'solution', it does make alittle more sense; regardless, they didn't let us challenge the AI and say 'what a load of crap' to his idea of all synthetics wiping out all organics as being 'the only logical outcome'.

The AI didn't have to listen but it would have at least given everyone the feeling they at least had the chance to express themselves.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
TL,DR: Please buy our game, even though the ending is crap.

Bioware needs to fix this. At light speed. The fans are not happy -- not disappointed, not dissatisfied, they are downright angry, and the feel cheated.

If this screw-up isn't addressed, then Mass Effect's legacy in this industry will be a sour note in the symphony -- people will tell jokes. That's what Mass Effect will be. A joke. People will walk by Mass Effect's house, point and say 'That's where Old Man Shepard lives. He could have ruled the world, but he traded away all his money for rainbows and multiplayer.'

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Now let's see if the closure they promise to provide comes with a price tag.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
McMullen said:
Art Axiv said:
I know I will pay for the DLC.
I'm a weak man.
This is why we can't have nice things. Is it really that hard to just do something else?
Well, it is hard to just do something else, because I feel quite passionate about the universe and I want more. I'm not on some "agenda" here. DLC is here to stay, and if I like the game, I'll buy the DLC for it.

Or I can just watch a "Let's play" of it on Youtube because there is always someone who will buy the DLC and record it.

Ha.
(I do not in any way promote the above solution to the problem, lol)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Now they'll start selling the "true" ending/s.

Fuck you EA and fuck you BioWare.

I already said I won't buy any EA/Bioware game ever again after Mass Effect 3 and I guess I won't be missing on much in the next decade or so.

Let this better be free DLC.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Muzyka wrote. "Even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that genuinely surprised us."
I don't buy this.

I do not believe that every single person within Bioware looked at the final ending and said: "Yup, that's a perfect ending to this trilogy; fans are gonna love it!"

Don't get me wrong, this is Bioware's baby, the people there must be very invested in the characters and the world. I get that. So how did these endings get a thumbs up from every single person involved in the game's development? Seriously guys?

"This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue."
How the hell do you continue the Mass Effect universe when you destroyed the mass relays AND stranded all races at Earth with no hope of survival? How do you continue the Mass Effect universe when any of three endings could have occured? Why the massive plot holes that will only hinder your development of further games? Arghh my brain!

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
New full games
?? Unless he means crappy little phone games, this is news.

Shotgun Guy said:
"Our first instinct is to defend our work and point to the high ratings offered by critics", NO FUCKING SHIT, Mass Effect 3 was a great game and the type that always gets high scores regardless, most rational people won't argue that. The endings were trash and that is all most people have a problem with. I'm not asking for a new ending, Bioware can stick with what they gave us for all I care, I just want them to add more to it. You can't just give us those endings and expect us not to be pissed, as any teacher grading a paper would say, "YOU NEED TO ELABORATE".
Exactly, all they need to do is add in or even just write and explanation of WTF actually happened.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue."
This statement about new full games is making me paranoid, does that mean he hints that Mass Effect 3 as sold wasn't actually the full game and that they will in fact hold the ending to ransom?

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Ok, so i'm copying this from another thread that I've posted in.. but it makes sense here too:

Ok, so maybe they were aiming too high with 16 endings idea. Ok, I got that, you had a moment of channeling Peter Molyneux; most reasonable gamers will forgive you. They'll rib you a day or too over it, but it passes; much like a bad kidney stone. We've could have even been happy with just even 5 distinct endings that ranged from;

1) Shepard critically fails, Reapers advanced throughout the galaxy impeded. (like the "fake" ME2 Shepard is dead ending.)
2) Shepard scarifies Earth and himself, but stops the Reapers at a major cost -- all current civilizations will take 100-300 years to recover, yet (3 out of 4) the Humans, Krogan, Turians & Quarians will be unable to recover and will slowly die out by the end of the coming centuries.. 75% of Shepard's team has perished.
3) Shepard keeps Earth while stopping the Reapers, but 1 of the below races will be unable to recover and will slowly die out by the end of the coming centuries (Humans, Krogan, Turians or Quarians <-- depending on player actions). 50% of Shepard's team has perished; 50% chance Shepard will have died too.
4) Shepard keeps Earth & stops the Reapers, but at the cost of a impending galactic war that not even Shepard can stop; 25% of Shepard's team has perished.
5) Shepard rolls a 20 and Reapers are stopped dead cold. There is a uneasy peace, but so far everybody is still happy shooting a the reaming scattered reapers as long as Shepard keeps the races "united" in peace. All of Shepard's team lives and we get to see blue Shepard babies.

In all endings (2-5) Shepard is a Hero. Regardless on how you end ME3 (2-5), you can start ME4 200 years after ME3. Endings 4 & 5 still have a galaxy wide war, either after Shepard dies or Shepard dies in trying to stop, which severely weakens everybody. Endings 2 and 3 has the galaxy still very weakened recovering from just barely surviving the Reaper threat.

So other then a few wording tweaks at the very start of the story - you have ME4 perfectly set up after ME3. The story: The Reapers may be dead, but all the technology they left behind is still raging its own hidden secret war. What remains of a splinter cell of the Geth, along with other organics still indoctrinated (and their childrens children) during the attack 200 years ago are trying to develop a method to spread the indoctrination signal throughout the whole galaxy and bring to fruition "Reaper 2.0."

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"Closure" DLC pack: $14.99
In-game plothole destroyer: $4.99
Warm, fuzzy feeling of satisfaction: $9.99

*ONLY AVAILABLE THROUGH ORIGIN

Hooraaaaay....

Gameonicon

Apr 21, 2011
Hahahaha as I said before they will sell the new yellow ending as DLC and the fans will run like a hoard of husks to their next Gamestop and buy it! And for a season pass we can get the purple and the orange ending. And next year we can buy the gold and/or silver editions... and... and...

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I feel sorry for Bioware, I can almost guarantee that most the problems with the game were due to constraints placed by EA; I mean, think about it, pretty much every single problem stinks of publisher tampering.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Leximodicon said:
I'd patch in about 2 minutes of text saying all this shit that characters did after the explosion, then told everyone to fuck off. The game isn't perfect, live with it.
If that had been what initially happened none of this ranting would have come to pass. There would have been people upset but not in the current numbers. If they did that now, I don't know how well it would work. It would appease some people but I think the hole that has been dug at this point is just too deep to be filled with just some text.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Should have posted this earlier but I had a sudden horrible thought of them pulling an April Fools.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
First people complain about the ending and now that you guys are getting things to make it better, some of you are complaining some more? I see.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
The fact that this is necessary is further proof this medium is not ready to be seriously considered as anything more then a child's toy.