BioWare Co-Founder Promises Closure For Mass Effect 3

Gameonicon

Apr 21, 2011
animehermit said:
Gameonicon said:
Then Bob should realise that the same thing happened to comics, his favourite "artform"
and by this logic neither movies (director cuts), comics (reboots) and games can be considered art. Isn't he one of the biggest crybabies complaining about Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Transformers?
Reboots and director's cuts are nowhere near the same thing. A reboot is a reinterpretation of a longstanding character or arc. A Director's Cut is a cut of a film that was intended to be the true vision of the director, but had to be cut due to budget or studio constraints.
You are right but sometimes a directors cut ( http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/90132 ) changes the whole context of a movie and in the case of ME3 fans feel like they have got the "theatrical" version where some things are missing and don't make sense.

Kanatatsu

Nov 26, 2010
Anyone else annoyed he keeps referring to endingS, as if the game actually had multiple endings?

(and pls, nerds, don't point out he's "technically" correct, mmkay? that misses the point entirely)

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
I just want to know what drapes Tali will hang in her brand new house on Rannoch.

But an epilogue explaining what happened to the major characters and races of the galaxy would be nice too: damnit, I cried too much at too many times during the game to be left hanging now!

Gameonicon

Apr 21, 2011
animehermit said:
Not the same situation, regardless if it changes a lot, or a little from the original. In a Director's Cut, it's what the artist (this case the director) originally wanted with the film. This is not something Bioware originally wanted, it's something the fans hollered for, complained, whined and petitioned Bioware to change.
Actually we do not know for sure what they have orginaly planned to do. We often don't know if there is a Director's Cut version or not. It is often released by the publisher/studio because of the success, the fanbase and most importantly for monetization.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the only way I will accept a revised ending is if they go straight into Harlan Ellison territory and make is SUPER depressing. Otherwise Bioware are officially eunuchs who have demonstrated that if fans don't get something keeps them in their safe little bubbles then they can just kick and scream because they KNOW someone might cave. FUCK GAMERS.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Everyone's dead and everything you did in the previous games was irrelevant.

How much more closure do you need?

Ross Fixxed

Sep 10, 2010
DeadlyYellow said:
Everyone's dead and everything you did in the previous games was irrelevant.

How much more closure do you need?
Joker, EDI and Garrus are alive at the end (EDI being alive on destruction makes no sense but anyway). Actually the whole Normandy thing made no sense to be fair.

Shepherd took a breath right at the end so maybe he's not actually dead. This is too vague to be anything more than guess.

The 'stargazer' and child are alive on that planet the Normandy crashed on (or at least it looks a bit like it) so live does go on.... Why not buy some DLC to find out?

The rest of the crew might be alive, it's never shown at all.

There's no closure for anyone really, at least in my save game.

I'd like to know what happened all the characters still alive, and all the races I encountered. Can they rebuild their homeworlds, what about the fleets stuck on or near earth and so on?

I'm sure there's lots more, that's just a few reasons I don't believe there was closure.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Harmondale2 said:
this is so dumb... you have no right to make them change the ending, if they do then you've all just proved that it is not art, and history will remember it forever.
I disagree. I have EVERY right to vocalize my opinion on it. After all, if it wasnt for my money, and all the other gamers money that went into the first game, there wouldnt have BEEN a second game. Ergo, I am a direct contributor to the life of the game.
That doesn't matter. They made a product, you decided to buy it. Once your money left your hand, it is no longer your money anymore; it is now their money and they can do whatever the hell they want with it.

They are well within their right to say "screw you, we aren't going to change the ending. We're going to buy a couple giant pools filled with chocolate pudding for the whole staff to jump in."

They could have made an ending where Shepard rides into battle on a baby elephant that shoots diamonds out of its butt, and they still wouldn't have to answer to anybody or change a thing if they didn't want to.

I really feel sorry for BioWare, because I really thought they were strong writers/artists. Only weak willed artists change their work to appease a rabidly angry rabble.
You give no valid reason to prove you are right, except you pretty much just say thats how it is. You're wrong. *I* chose to buy the first game, as well as the second, and the third, not to mention the DLC. I am a direct contributor to their success. We, as consumers, have a very valid right to complain if the product failed to deliver either through our opinions, or through our actions. Dont get me wrong, I am not hating on Bioware, by any means. Mass Effect 3 was surpassing the other two up until the very end. The plotholes are ridiculous, the endings are almost completely the same, and make NO sense whatsoever.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So basically what hes saying is "we know you didnt like it, buy it anyway"

two news about same thing in a day, the drama seems to still burn strong. it woudl be funny if it werent sad.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Oh boy this is turning into a shitstorm, TIME TO MEDIATE!

Main argument(s) to change the ending(s): Bioware violated the promises they made to consumers before the game launched. The endings are completely out of left field, full of plot holes, retroactively ruin the other games, and are generally poorly written. Bioware should create DLC to change the endings. At this point, whether or not they fans will pay for the DLC varies, some say yes, others no.

Main argument(s) to keep the endings(s): Bioware are artists and therefore fans have no right to demand change to Bioware's work. Others argue that the fans demanding change are just upset that the end wasn't sunshine and roses and that they didn't "get" it. most other arguments are just ad hominim attacks for lack of an actual point.

Now, both sides have their points; Anti-ending people are right in that as paying customers they have a right to demand a satisfactory product that they paid money for, especially in light of the promises the developer made. Pro-ending people are right in that it is Bioware's work of art and demanding that they make changes to it is histrionic and selfish.

But that's just it, Bioware, while artists, are also a business and as a business their motivation is money. They stand to lose in the long run by alienating and ignoring the fans who bought their products and through their money made Mass Effect 3 possible. By changing the endings, Bioware stands to gain major brownie points, repairing their relation ship with the fans and guaranteeing future profits.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Its always nice to see Bioware admit there's a problem, even if its just the usual vague PR-talk.

But there's one really scary part with that statement. This:

"Even so, the passionate reaction of some of our most loyal players to the current endings in Mass Effect 3 is something that genuinely surprised us."
Sweet Moses, this scares me more then if the freaky little kid from "The Ring" would crawl out of my TV.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]
Legion said:
Artistic integrity? That's what fans are asking for in the first place.

Creating an ending that adds plot holes, opens up new questions and contradicts previously established lore, all the while completely ignoring the choices made throughout the game and leaving Shepard and the crews fate on a cliffhanger is hardly full of it.
This. The rest of your painting is really good Bioware. But the bottom right hand corner, where you apparently just ran out of time and drew a dick and a dog turd in MS paint? Not so much.
This and This. Time for them to remember that their art form is interactive, and therefore can't have the exact same ending for everyone, and a sucky one at that.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
I just want to know what the fuck happened to everyone D: Is that so much to ask?

Don quixote's mule

Feb 28, 2011
Zortack said:
The "philosophy" of the endings or "message" has been attacked by many people who've shown to have a better grasp of philosophical theory than any supporter I've come across. Most supporters usually just stop at "you don't understand" or "it's about hope".

The ending's teleological views on evolution (yes, these are mutually exclusive) aswell as it's social darwinist approach to the nature of conlict is something you'd expect in a 19th century novel not in a 21st century game.

Anyone with even the slighest capacity for critical thought can see these endings for what they are, rushed, poorly thought out heaps of nonsense.
See, this is good a clear, calm, and rational argument. Honestly, thank you Zortack. If you would, could you link the arguments you referenced? I would love to read them for myself.

Truth be told, the actual value of the piece is irrelevant. It is wrong to demand that Bioware change the endings, under any circumstance. This is a matter of free speech, censorship, and the future of video games as an artistic medium. If creative integrity is not respected, the medium cannot and should not be taken seriously. The arrogant, self-righteous, stupidity of the Gamer community on this, has only served to prove that "being a gamer" is not a legitimate lifestyle decision.

Reion 13

Oct 26, 2011
So ive been thinking a lot and this is probably a good a place as any to get it of my chest. Okay? good. I dont realy see why shepard HAS to die. Sure, he can and should die in some of the endings, but not all of them. ME 3 is a game about choice, so i dont see why we cant have a golden ending. Or a silver ending. Hell, id setle with bronze. But i dont need that, nor do i think i am going to get it. Oh, and i think they should go for the indoctrination theory. It might be completely unintentional, but unintentional victory is stil a victory.