Bioware Confirms Game Extending DLC

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
AC10 said:
I think it should be free.
Now you see, THIS is entitlement.
No, this is the story equivalent of a bug patch.

Well, except for the "the story was too bleak" aspects. Complaining about an ending being sad is basically whining.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
OhJohnNo said:
AC10 said:

Well, except for the "the story was too bleak" aspects. Complaining about an ending being sad is basically whining.
The ending wasn't "sad" really, it just lacked sense, closure, and choice. I wouldn't expect it to be free, Bioware is a branch of EA now so expect a ten dollar DLC.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Tomo Stryker said:
Zen Toombs said:
OhJohnNo said:
AC10 said:

The ending wasn't "sad" really, it just lacked sense, closure, and choice.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was saying.

Also, yes I expect that Mass Effect's DLC (including the ones that take care of the horrifying ending) will cost us the big $$. And as much as I loved the Mass Effect series, if that is the case I won't be buying it. That's what youtube is for.

[small]okay, if it's really cheap and I hear good reviews I might[/small]

*cough cough* Anyways, I'll even go so far as to say that I'll get around to linking my Xbox profile to this account in order to confirm to all y'all that "yes, this person is done with Bioware games he hasn't already bought" once it's confirmed that EA has chosen to continue to screw the pooch on this one.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Zeel said:
Bioware promised a story you could impact with your decisions. They clearly didn't deliver. I mean they don't have to account for all your choices, but atleast one would be nice.
Aha, I have you! There is a point where a choice you make before the ending impacts the story: the collector base decision!

Obviously, your argument is invalid.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
You know what would have been even better, we could have accepted that nothing's perfect and they could have spent their time making better DLC or new games. I found the ending to be a bit short, but was never on the side of the petitioners and people who committed ritual mass suicides.* Citation needed.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
AC10 said:
And if it isn't, I'm going to spend whatever money they price it at, and I'm going to love every minute of it, like I loved every minute of the rest of ME3.

Zeel said:
They just need to stay the hell away from RPG games. I can't count how many shooter games are released monthly. Why must they infect my genre? do I go to their genre and ask for shit like 'dialogue choice'?

No, everyone would think I'm a pompous prick. But they get away with doing the same to my FAVOURITE genre. It's absolutely sickening.
So what, there shouldn't be cross genre games? Genres aren't 100% static where other genre elements can't fit.

To give an example: Portal has three genre elements, puzzle, platforming, and shooter. It isn't traditional shooting, but it is shooting in a sense. A portal gun is used to shoot out energy to make portals that are used to complete puzzles. Shooting said portal gun can used in creative ways to shoot portals to stop and even destroy enemies. That is why the game is referred to a lot as a puzzle shooter.

By your dislike of having shooter elements in ME2 and M3, you can't possibly like ME1 either, because it had plenty of shooter elements, especially since it had guns and I pressed a trigger to shoot, and if I wasn't aiming at the enemy I wouldn't hit anything, plus, where you hit people mattered.

Plus, when I played ME1, I did a hell of a lot of sniping. Hell, ME1 had more realistic and advanced shooter elements that many shooter games. Take the sniper rifles, they actually have a realistic shaking movement of the gun sight. And if I remember correctly, there was also bullet drop off.

The reason I'm saying this is that in one comment you are railing against ME2 and ME3(obviously because you most likely liked ME1 and didn't like the changes), and then in the comment I quoted, you are railing against shooter elements "infecting your genre", when the were quite a few if not more shooter elements in ME1.

Besides, it isn't just your genre, it is the genre of anybody that plays the games. I like playing RPGs, and there isn't one right way to make RPGs, and there can be and have been many great RPGs that incorporate other genres into them. Hell, KoTOR had time trial racing in it, and it worked, it also had a strategy card game as well, and it worked too.

The only thing the Mass Effect series did compared to other RPGs with guns, is give people full control of the guns. I like that they did that, I much prefer and RPG that lets me have full control over my weapons, along with putting points in stats to help make my weapons better. I rather have that then leave my shooting to a dice roll and hope that it rolls a hit.

So in the realm of RPGs, for me, the more control I have over the outcome of things, the better.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
AC10 said:
Yes and no. Would you be mad if you bought a book that said that the real ending was your for only 10$ more?

Charging extra for endings is a bad, BAD business practice.

OT: As general as this statement is, it gives me zero hope for anything.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Zeel said:
Zen Toombs said:
Zeel said:
Bioware promised a story you could impact with your decisions. They clearly didn't deliver. I mean they don't have to account for all your choices, but atleast one would be nice.
Aha, I have you! There is a point where a choice you make before the ending impacts the story: the collector base decision!

Obviously, your argument is invalid.
Joking aside.

What does keeping the collector base change? I assume its just some dialogue?
If we counted dialogue, almost every decision mattered. But for some reason I don't think that was your point.

On the Collector base - I forget exactly where I found this, but somewhere there's a list of all ~17 variations on the ending based on a couple variables. Those variables are "Save/Destroy Collector Base x Red, Green or Blue Explosion x EMS". If I recall correctly, you are "rewarded" for choosing the corresponding "morality choice" if you don't have a high enough EMS. But, if you have over 4,000 or so then it's entirely irrelevant.

Send me a message to remind me to look it up tomorrow, so I can do a fancy schmancy retcon/edit thing.

ALREADY EDIT: by the by, I don't think this in any way affects my not-so-good opinion of the ending. Just being a nerd and geeking out over the specifics. ;-)

EDIT 2: Huh. Talking to Zeel again, and both times in a civil manner. Who'da thunk. *shrug*

Edit 3: Looked it up before going to bed, found it. Copy-pasta!
Collector's Base Destroyed

0 to 1,749 EMS: Your only choice is to destroy the Reapers. Earth is destroyed.

1,750 to 1,899 EMS: Shepard can choose to destroy the Reapers, or control them. If you destroy the Reapers, Earth is destroyed in the process as well. If you control the Reapers, Earth is devastated but not destroyed.

1,900 to 2,349 EMS: Shepard can choose between destroying and controlling Reapers. Both choices save earth, and humanity survives, however Earth's buildings still get vaporized.

2,350 to 2,649 EMS: Shepard can control Reapers, and save Earth

2,650 to 2,799 EMS: Shepard can destroy Reapers, and save Earth. Shepard Dies.

2,800 to 3,999 EMS: Shepard is able to create a link between Synthetics and Organics, and Earth and the Galaxy are saved

4,000 to 4,999 EMS: You can destroy the Reapers and Earth is saved. If you shot TIM on time and saved Anderson, Shepard breathes (Survives).

5,000+ EMS: You can destroy all Reapers. Earth saved as well. Shepard will breath, whether you attempted to save Anderson or not. (Perfect Ending)

Collector's Base Remained Intact

0 to 1,749 EMS: Shepard's only choice is to destroy the Reapers. Earth is destroyed.

1,750 to 2,049 EMS: Shepard can control the Reapers or destroy them. Destroying the Reapers also destroys Earth. Controlling the Reapers damages earth but does not destroy it.

2050 to 2,349 EMS: Shepard has choice between controlling and destroying Reapers. You save Earth from destruction either way, and humans live, but Earth is still devastated and buildings vaporized.

2,350 to 2,649 EMS: Shepard can destroy the Reapers. Earth is badly damaged but isn't destroyed completely

2,650 to 2,799 EMS: Shepard can destroy the Reapers and save Earth.

2,800 to 3,999 EMS: Shepard can create the Synergy between Organics and Reapers to save Earth and the Galaxy

4,000 to 4,999 EMS: Shepard can destroy Reapers. Earth survives. If you shot The Illusive Man on time and saved Anderson, Shepard Survived.

5,000 + EMS: Shepard can destroy Reapers. Earth survives. Shepard also survives regardless if you tried to save Anderson or not. (Perfect Ending)
Honestly, that low EMS thing could hurt the Indoctrination theory a bit. Not a lot, and it can still recover, but still. Also, SOURCY SOURCE [http://www.rarityguide.com/articles/articles/1739/1/Mass-Effect-3-Endings-Guide---HEAVY-SPOILERS/Page1.html]
[small]Wow I start getting loopy when I'm tired.[/small]

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
So he thinks everyone is complaining because the ending is "too sad"? And yet he claims to be listening intently to his fans?

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
AC10 said:
OhJohnNo said:
AC10 said:
Players are entitled to the endings that Bioware publicly stated were available in the game. They were not.

Most importantly: I don't have the game and don't plan on buying it any time soon, so I really don't care about the ending of ME3. However, if your game's ending dissatisfies 80% (more?) of your players giving them the PRIVILEGE to give more money to your company for overpriced DLC that actually puts a satisfying conclusion to their series is absolutely insulting.

This is very similar to FF 13-2 in that the ending was basically "haha, now you have to buy the REAL ending". These are bullshit business practices that I will have no part of.

I want to clarify, I think DLC that gives fans more ending choice and closure to the story should be free. If they add a bunch of post game content, that content should cost money; but they really should make free DLC which modifies the ending.
No, any DLC that is separate to the game, is separate content and EA has every right to price it. Same with Square Enix. It's *their* games. Nobody is twisting ears to get consumers to buy it.

And players are entitled to *nothing* except voicing their opinion and having access to the game they paid for. Casey Hudson promised 16 endings, ME3 had six (that I've seen, minus multiplayer intervention). It didn't end up being true, but Bioware still owes them nothing. Peter Molyneux promised foliage that would grow in real-time in the original Fable. And that game's ending sucked too.

And not nearly that many people are so upset that they are petitioning Bioware. 80% is exorbitantly high.

Kuzlo

Mar 31, 2009
Damn, had me thinking it was confirmed with the title. The statements in the article are old and were made a few days ago. Nothing concrete, and certainly not enough to appease BSN.

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
This makes me glad that I never played the ME series. I always meant to get around to playing these damn games but there was always some other game pulling me away from these huge timesinks. Hearing how extraordinarily crappy the ending is(and I don't even know the backstory except from what people write online) it makes me glad that I was spared the heartbreak(maybe a harsh word for the situation but you know what I mean).

The ending itself was piss in the face of longtime fans that wanted to see consequences of their actions/actual endings for the goddam characters and this "game extending" DLC gives s**t as well as piss.

I won't tell them HOW to end their creation but give it an actual freaking end, not a multicoloured cop-out. This is not the way to end what was hailed as a sci-fi gaming classic, with a universal conflict affecting tons of characters and worlds. Hell, DX:HR had better ending and they were basically from the pick-your-ending 3000 machine. Each of them at least gave SCENARIOS of what would happen and what happened to each character(outside of jensen). It was a somewhat childish way to end a great game but it was still way more mature than ME3's ending scheme.

A trilogy that spans over five years should get at least a decent ending, if not a great one. ME3 had no ending, not even multiple endings, like I said, they were multicoloured cop-outs that basically said to the player "whatever you did in the last 2 games had no impact on the conclusion of the trilogy". This would have been bad in a normal game but it's much,much worse in a series that prides itself of choice and consequence.

This whole post ending DLC thing(not to mention the day 1 DLC's), plus what that EA guys was thinking about charging you a buck to reload IN THE GAME THAT YOU BOUGHT, speaks to a great problem that is going on in the industry, which is that they screw the consumer in the ass and they know that the stupid consumer will actually like it, the fanboys put up with a lot of crap to get their fix.

I just hope that we as gamers wise up and call them on their freaking bullshit.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Tomo Stryker said:
Bioware, more specifically Casey Hudson has announced that they are creating game extending DLC. Downloadable content that will extend the game past the ending, like Fallout 3's Broken Steel.

Here is the link http://news.yahoo.com/mass-effect-3-game-fans-campaign-ending-195542082.html

Hudson, however, noting feedback from players that the ending was too bleak, said BioWare was working on new content that will be made available to download online to extend play beyond the current finish of the game.

Any thoughts on the subject people?
After reading the article that you linked, and also some other statements made by Bioware on this subject, it dawned on me that they just don't get it. Or maybe they don't want to get it, because it's not giving enough options for sellable DLC.

They focus so much on "fans want happier ending", no, we don't necessarily want a happier ending, we want an ending that makes sense. An ending that reflects the choices you made throughout 3 very lengthy games.

If one of those endings happens to be all sunshine, rainbows and unicorns, than great, if one of those endings is a complete apocalypse where NOTHING survives, than fine too. Maybe it will be something in the middle, all that the players want is not to have their choices shat over and actually walk away from the game, feeling a great sense of accomplishment.

shaggybear

Mar 6, 2012
im kinda happy that it said "game exteding" instead of end changing. a good extension that resovles some issues would be fine i think. then again i really didnt care if they added on to the end or not

xchurchx

Nov 2, 2009
"Hudson said the game had been designed with a series of endings to key plots to allow players to "carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey."

I call bull shit on that, i got exactly the same ending as my mate when he let the quarians die. None of the choices i made affected the ending and thus makes it pointless to re-play the game for. I dont want bioware to change the ending i want them to make it better, with more closure.