BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Aside from the revelation in the second game that the Collectors were the Protheans, there wasn't that big a mention about them as far as I recall.

Sure in the first game you were led to believe that they were hugely important but then you find out that pretty much everything that was thought to be developed by the Protheans was actually made by the Reapers as part of their cycle of encouraging life and then destroying it.
OHHHHHH aside from them being the main enemies in Me2, yeah their role was insignificant. I mean, we can word anything like that. Aside from Shepard being the protagonist, he/she isn't important. Aside the the reaper threat, the reapers aren't important. You don't have a point, if it can be summed up as "aside from this"

They either are important or they aren't.

Plus in 1, they started the game, with their prothean beacons, they ending their game with their overrides. Their role in Shepards' conflict is pretty damn signficiant.

See. THis is why I call some of you fanboys. here you are faced with the evidence and instead of just admitting that the Protheans are important you want to sideline the issue. Oh they are important for A and B. but eeeeeeeeeeeeeverything else, well. Sorry that doesn't cut it. if they are important to the story, then they are important.
Main enemies? I'd say that'd be the Reapers. The Collecters are essentially mooks for you to deal with.

Now if the dlc character was a Collector who somehow overcame his Indoctrination and joined you? Yeah, he'd be pretty damned important.
So going to ignore the entire post, are you. Its either important or it isn't.

Plus, yes main enemies. The Collectors kill you in the beginning. THey meet you on Horizon, they meet you on the collectors ship and then they meet you at the end.

That counts as the main opposition. I know you want every reason to disagree with me, but picking foolish fights is a bad way to do.
it doesn't really change the fact there controlled by a reaper the proof is at the end when the reaper releases the collector when they were no longer going to be any use to him so the reapers are the main enemy the collectors are just the annoying henchmen who were in the way. kind of like in the darkwalker series the beast was the enemy in the first book and the king stuff in the second book then in the last book they fight against the one whos behind it all

its the same as mass effect

saren and the geth in game one
collectors in game game two

and now the main threat the reapers in game three

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
anthony87 said:
Aside from the revelation in the second game that the Collectors were the Protheans, there wasn't that big a mention about them as far as I recall.

Sure in the first game you were led to believe that they were hugely important but then you find out that pretty much everything that was thought to be developed by the Protheans was actually made by the Reapers as part of their cycle of encouraging life and then destroying it.
OHHHHHH aside from them being the main enemies in Me2, yeah their role was insignificant. I mean, we can word anything like that. Aside from Shepard being the protagonist, he/she isn't important. Aside the the reaper threat, the reapers aren't important. You don't have a point, if it can be summed up as "aside from this"

They either are important or they aren't.

Plus in 1, they started the game, with their prothean beacons, they ending their game with their overrides. Their role in Shepards' conflict is pretty damn signficiant.

See. THis is why I call some of you fanboys. here you are faced with the evidence and instead of just admitting that the Protheans are important you want to sideline the issue. Oh they are important for A and B. but eeeeeeeeeeeeeverything else, well. Sorry that doesn't cut it. if they are important to the story, then they are important.
Main enemies? I'd say that'd be the Reapers. The Collecters are essentially mooks for you to deal with.

Now if the dlc character was a Collector who somehow overcame his Indoctrination and joined you? Yeah, he'd be pretty damned important.
So going to ignore the entire post, are you. Its either important or it isn't.

Plus, yes main enemies. The Collectors kill you in the beginning. THey meet you on Horizon, they meet you on the collectors ship and then they meet you at the end.

That counts as the main opposition. I know you want every reason to disagree with me, but picking foolish fights is a bad way to do.
They're important.

They're not as important as you're making them out to be.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Zeel said:
Tzekelkan said:
What the fucking-entitlement-FUCK?

I just don't have any words. I expected a much more rational response to this well written and rational news post. Really? "Sheeple"? REALLY?

God dammit.
Zeel said:
Fuck that. Anyone who agrees with this practice is a brainwashed sheep with no independent thought.
No independent thought? Jesus fucking shit Christ of helldamnfuck. I'd say that not even reading the post and just mindlessly going with the crowd means not having independent thought. You seem to believe it means doing research, listening to the opinions of others, and then forming your own opinion, whichever it may end up being.

You'll probably react with a knee jerk and call me a brainwashed consumerist pig for daring to write this post, because you will have failed to notice that I haven't even yet given my opinion on this Day One DLC business for ME3.
Why the are you replying to a post about people who defend it, if you aren't one. What kind of loopy ass shit is that. If you haven't given your opinion on the DLC business. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU.

C
L
E
A
R
L
Y
You again. Quite nice to see you in Mass Effect 3 forums for a chan... oh, wait. Anyway, I was starting to get worried when you didn't awnser negatively to the last ME3 thread post. So here we go again.

So, if someone argues against badly presented standpoints, they must clearly be, stand for or believe in the opposite side of the argument? Really?

OT: I still rather not make a comment. First, we´ll see if this Prothean appears in-game, and if the only thing that this DLC does is to make him a companion. If so, just extra content Bioware decided to create and hadn't the time to put in the original game. Totally acceptable. If not, and this Prothean is, in fact, a completely new character, people have all the right to get mad. In that case it wouldn't be entitlement, but only in that case.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Zeel said:
The.Bard said:
Valdus said:
I miss the days when buying a game got you the game, not 9/10ths of the game with the option to pay extra for the rest (if you even "own" the games anymore, with EA I can never tell).

And why are people defending this? Even if you're okay with having launch day DLC you can't tell me you agree with how EA do it. Does anyone here even remember the Warden's Keep from DA:O? With the guy advertising the DLC IG after explaining the quest to you.

And as many others have mentioned they normally did this to encourage people to buy new...but this screws over anyone buying new unless they shell out extra for the "collectors edition". Say what you will but "normal editions" rarely have content cut specifically for the purposes of adding to the collectors edition]/i].

Please, ME3 fanboy sheep, grow a spine for once. You're the reason EA thinks this kind of crap pays.

Well there's your problem! You're a debbie downer. You're not getting 9/10ths of the game. You're getting 10/10ths. And when you buy the DLC, you have 11/10ths. That's right... Bioware is cranking it to 11.

*ahem* Putting aside your baseless jabs, the whole thing is incredibly simple. It's been stated several times, but there is a gap between completing the game and it showing up on shelves. Instead of moving the design team off to something else, they started work on DLC. Nothing was CUT from the game. It just doesn't work like that.

The team busted hump, and in the time it's taken the game to go gold, they were able to fully realize the DLC to completion for launch day. They worked HARD so that we could have this. COULD they have waited a month after release before launching? Yes. BUT... I don't WANT that DLC a month after the game comes out and I've already beaten it. I want it DAY ONE. Thus, they release it the day it comes out so that we have it immediately. If anything, they should be THANKED for this extra effort.

I really don't see WHY this is such a problem with people, and I REALLY don't see why you think those of us who don't detest it are spineless sheep. You can disagree all you want, but for the love of all that is holy, please leave the nasty jabs at the door - nothing deflates an argument more than childish insults. I've seen you have very intelligent discussions in other threads; you are better than judgmental closed-mindedness.

I have no problem with people who don't support day one dlc. The solution is VERY simple. DO NOT BUY IT. For those of us who see NOTHING wrong with it, just let us buy it and enjoy it in peace. Why is that so hard??

Because you're accepting Their explanation as the content as "extra". How is it extra, if the planning for and development of the prothean began way back in Nov/Dec. That is not "extra". Also, how is it "extra" when it doesn't cost them an extra dime? Its the same development cycle. I'm certainly not going to pay them more for ignoring the game and focusing on developing 'extra dlc's', when the game still could've been fleshed out more. is that what you are telling me? I should pay them more because they cut corners to spend more time developing extra content? surely you aren't telling me something so god damn foolish.

I guess sheep might be a bit strong, but seriously deluded is more accurate. Can you tell me what the difference between Bioware just calling something extra and it actually being an extra?

This should be fun, Zeel, given what level-headed member of the forums you've been today. ;) As I mentioned above, a game design team has limits. Human body limits. Time limits. Money limits. They are given budgets and funding, same as all companies. Just because they came up with the idea in November does NOT mean it was ipso facto part of the original game, and until I see proof otherwise, this is a simple case of logic trumping conspiracy theories.

Oh, but it IS extra. It is a FACT that there is time between completion of the game and it arriving in our hands. They don't finish the game one day, press a button, and then it magically shows up in stores two hours later. It is highly feasible and completely logical to assume that as the team finished the game, they moved right on to DLC to avoid paying people to twiddle their thumbs or move to another project.

What I'm hearing from you is that they developed this DLC to completion, and then actively used employee resources ($$$) to remove it so they could sell it day one. And there is simply nothing that I have seen to support this being a feasible option. At best, they are spending money in employee time in order to try and sell it to make money.

Is it not possible that something close to the following occurred?:

1) Somebody came up with this in November, as you said. After throwing the idea around & realizing they didn't have time/money/bodies to complete it in time for the ship date, they opted not to work on it (along with a slew of other content ideas).

2) Upon completing the game, the now freed up team said "hey, remember that content we didn't have time/funding/bodies for back in November? Our team is now completely free, and making it paid DLC means we can justify the extra expense we're putting in to get it done."

3) They fleshed out and designed the entire DLC in the time since the game was complete, with approval coming from the estimated funds this additional content would bring in.

I guess what I'm saying is there are more than a few logical reasons to believe Bioware is being mostly - if not completely - up front about this. But I have seen NOTHING to support the latter argument, that they maliciously spent extra resources to cut something out that was already completed.

And no, delusional is NOT any better. It's still judging. My gaming time is pretty limited these days; Bioware is the one company left that I will buy from day one without reading a review. I will GLADLY throw my money at them as long as the enjoyment I get is worth my dollar. So until Bioware comes into your house and takes $10 out of your wallet at gunpoint, you have NO RIGHT to interfere with me (happily) throwing my money at them. It's as simple as that.

But I'm not even throwing money at them in this case, since I preordered the CE edition. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't even really paid DLC. It's a free addon to reward the people who bought the collector's edition. All of this you can - again- very easily boycott by NOT BUYING IT.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
animehermit said:
Radoh said:
animehermit said:
tony2077 said:
erttheking said:
Seriously guys? 500 posts? This is because of the flamewars isn't it?
its a flamewar
Is it really a flamewar if no one is taking him seriously and he just keeps getting madder and madder?
I'm actually really kind of impressed by the whole thing.
Nearly four hundred posts in and almost all of them on ME3 and how it's Satan, constantly yelling and insulting and ignoring the burden of proof, yet he still isn't banned.
Mods must be asleep.
.....Post Ponies?

(God I hate myself for saying that...T_T)

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
animehermit said:
Radoh said:
animehermit said:
Radoh said:
animehermit said:
tony2077 said:
erttheking said:
its a flamewar
Is it really a flamewar if no one is taking him seriously and he just keeps getting madder and madder?
I'm actually really kind of impressed by the whole thing.
Nearly four hundred posts in and almost all of them on ME3 and how it's Satan, constantly yelling and insulting and ignoring the burden of proof, yet he still isn't banned.
Mods must be asleep.
Yeah, that's not it at all.
I've been fascinated by this guy, I looked through his posting history, nearly every post I randomly selected was him yelling at some poor schmuck and ranting and raving, yet I could only find three that actually got modded, and they weren't any worst than the rest of his stuff.
This has been going on for days, I'm actually starting to suspect foul-play...
That's it! He's killing off the mods! Somebody stop him!
Maybe HE IS A MOD??????

Dear Lord that was loud. You owe me a new pair of ears. And that isn't very likely, or he'd have that name-badge thingy.
anthony87 said:
They're important.

They're not as important as you're making them out to be.
Hey, out of curiosity, did he ever follow through on giving you that proof you asked for like three threads back?

JamesStone

Jun 9, 2010
erttheking said:
Ukomba said:
erttheking said:
Nooo, we're calmly discussing the socio-economic requirements of game production, and it's challenges in the frame work of the modern information age.
Oh, interesting, what is your conclusion so far?
That Zeel needs to release a lot of suppressed anger. Maybe EA murdered his parents. That's probably why he is acting so obssesive, posting in every Mass Effect thread just to say that he doesn't care or that it will suck.

Zeel, you need to let go...

...let go Zeel...

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
animehermit said:
JamesStone said:
That Zeel needs to release a lot of suppressed anger. Maybe EA murdered his parents. That's probably why he is acting so obssesive, posting in every Mass Effect thread just to say that he doesn't care or that it will suck.

Zeel, you need to let go...

...let go Zeel...
He is the hero The Escapist deserves.
he is hmm what should we do then

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Radoh said:
Hey, out of curiosity, did he ever follow through on giving you that proof you asked for like three threads back?
He did actually. Lemmie just do a quick copy and paste....

Zeel said:
Leaks suggest it was part of the original game.

DLC says = Get "additional" character and squadmate.

seems pretty damn conclusive to me. Not to mention the whole pattern and trend argument. EA games has been doing this for awhile and they do stand to make a huge profit from it. an additional 20 bucks.

There. That's what I was presented with when I asked for evidence.

Make of that what you will....

JamesStone

Jun 9, 2010
Zeel said:
SajuukKhar said:
And again the Prothean AS A CHARACTER was in development in Nov/Dec, the Prothean AS A SQUADMATE was not until after the game was done. Fact.

The Porhtean isn't important to the story, he only provides his own viewpoint on things already happening. Fact.

The Porthean is not needed to get the full story. Fact

see I can do it to.
Excuse me?
In the god damn leaks the Prothean is important. Are you telling me its not important anymore? If so, what lead you to that conclusions.

Second: How important it is is somewhat irrelevant. This is content that builds lore and helps further the story. To remove it from the game and charge more for it is taking advantage of the customers. Everyone plays the mass effect series for the story and characters. To remove a CHARACTER that adds a story is a dick move. Why do you support it.?
No no no, he's telling you that the Prothean, as a squadmate isn't important. The actual character, the one you get anyway from the un-DLC'd game, IS in fact important. The fact that he is a squadmate is only a little extra.

And if you are wondering why I'm quoting you so much lately, it's because it's kinda fun seeing you explode in rage every time someone tries to tell you something outside of your preconcived ideias. Such a disgrace for such a smart man (see if you can get that reference).

Dec 14, 2009
Shawn112 said:
Too many paid ea marketing whores here.

No point in bothering.
An enlightened hero appears!

Oh please, please impart your knowledge, so that we may free ourselves from EA's shackles.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Shawn112 said:

No point in bothering.
Jesus Christ seriously?
People who have been here at The Escapist for years are secretly EA marketers whose sole reason for getting paid is to defend them on an internet forum.
I love you crazy conspiracy nuts so much, I want to shake your hand.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
anthony87 said:
Radoh said:
He did actually. Lemmie just do a quick copy and paste....

Zeel said:
Leaks suggest it was part of the original game.

DLC says = Get "additional" character and squadmate.

seems pretty damn conclusive to me. Not to mention the whole pattern and trend argument. EA games has been doing this for awhile and they do stand to make a huge profit from it. an additional 20 bucks.

There. That's what I was presented with when I asked for evidence.

Make of that what you will....

Wait what? Is that everything he gave you? That seems terribly underwhelming.
Too bad I purposefully avoided the leaks in order to keep from ruining the game for myself. Oh well, I suppose I'll go take a look at these leaks.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Shawn112 said:

No point in bothering.
Yeah, people have different opinions, this isn't a recent breakthrough pal.