BioWare Defends Mass Effect 3 Launch-Day DLC

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?
What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.
They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"
Thats what wrong with it.

They are right about one thing. They got our attention
THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zeel said:
tony2077 said:
Zeel said:
To everyone on the opposing side, would it bother you at all if everyone just got the content for the original price? Or the DLC is used to encourage New purchases?
it doesn't bother me at all since unlike other dlc this one every can get even if it does cost extra.
That wasn't my question.
If this dlc was just like Zaeed. free with purchase, would that bother you?
it was part of the network so unless you bought it you still had to pay for it so it not that different then this other then that was for both version not just the special one like this one is

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Zeel said:
Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"
Yeah, I definitely agree that some people are getting way to worked up over this.

Llamazoid

Mar 10, 2011
I still don't see the controversy behind this issue. Basically what's happened is Bioware completed Mass Effect 3 campaign well in time before launch, it then took a 3 month period to deal with the necessary tweaks.

Meanwhile while this went on, a separate team worked on DLC which was to be included free in the Collectors Edition "From Ashes." The DLC was going to contain a Prothean character, which we can safety assume isn't available as a squad member or make an appearance in the main story.

Why can we assume this? because when Zaeed was released as Day 1 DLC he didn't feature in ME2 at all until you entered the code. The same with all additional character DLC's later on, ME2 did not lose any story value without having these extra DLC's they simple extras. The game itself was complete, the same thing will happen with Mass Effect 3.

I can understand, why people are upset about Day 1 DLC but let me put it this way if this character wasn't Prothean would you still be as upset?

I simply think the issue is more about the character being Prothean than it about Day 1 DLC because the news about an extra piece of DLC for the Collectors Edition has been out for month's and no has complained. Finally those that say I'm paying $80 dollars for the Collectors Edition (in my case £80) just for just a $10 dollar Character is incorrect. Your paying for extra weapons, appearances, an Mass Effect artbook, a Darkhorse comic, the official ME3 soundtrack, a tinned case plus the new character DLC oh and a robot dog.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Llamazoid said:
I still don't see the controversy behind this issue. Basically what's happened is Bioware completed Mass Effect 3 campaign well in time before launch, it then took a 3 month period to deal with the necessary tweaks.

Meanwhile while this went on, a separate team worked on DLC which was to be included free in the Collectors Edition "From Ashes." The DLC was going to contain a Prothean character, which we can safety assume isn't available as a squad member or make an appearance in the main story.

Why can we assume this? because when Zaeed was released as Day 1 DLC he didn't feature in ME2 at all until you entered the code. The same with all additional character DLC's later on, ME2 did not lose any story value without having these extra DLC's they simple extras. The game itself was complete, the same thing will happen with Mass Effect 3.

I can understand, why people are upset about Day 1 DLC but let me put it this way if this character wasn't Prothean would you still be as upset?

I simply think the issue is more about the character being Prothean than it about Day 1 DLC because the news about an extra piece of DLC for the Collectors Edition has been out for month's and no has complained. Finally those that say I'm paying $80 dollars for the Collectors Edition (in my case £80) just for just a $10 dollar Character is incorrect. Your paying for extra weapons, appearances, an Mass Effect artbook, a Darkhorse comic, the official ME3 soundtrack, a tinned case plus the new character DLC oh and a robot dog.
and if you ordered it on origin at the right time battlefield 3 which i did well i talked to there live people so i reordered it but i will get it none the less

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
I haven't finished ME1, nor started ME2, so I'll just wait for the inevitable GotY edition with all of the DLC for a reasonable price.

What I -do- have a problem with is significantly large DLC that has an unusually small footprint on my hard drive. An entire SC5 character (Dampierre) is the same few KB as a couple of clothing items? Sorry publishers, your on-disc "DLC" isn't fooling us. Chicanery like this makes me -less- interested in buying your game.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:
and uuuh... did you PLAN for work on it to start only once the main game was finished bioware?
What relevance does that have? Unless you're suggesting that by merely planning DLC, it should be included in the game at release (or available for free or whatever). You can't be suggesting that though, because that's utterly ridiculous.
They intended the prothean to be apart of the ORIGINAL GAME and NOT A DLC. Seeing as its in the freaking leaks. Then some suit over at ea game was like "oh no lets make this a dlc because the fans will go ape shit for it"

THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!
Has there been official confirmation of this? Cause all i've heard are scripts. Which to me is stupid, because of course the lines of a day one dlc will be in the script

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Zeel said:
tony2077 said:
Zeel said:
To everyone on the opposing side, would it bother you at all if everyone just got the content for the original price? Or the DLC is used to encourage New purchases?
it doesn't bother me at all since unlike other dlc this one every can get even if it does cost extra.
That wasn't my question.
If this dlc was just like Zaeed. free with purchase, would that bother you?
No, it would not bother me. That way everyone who buys the game new would be able to use him.

Honestly, when I pre-orderded the CE I didn't even know about an extra squad mate. I mainly pre-ordred it for the sound track, art book, and dark horse comic.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Macrobstar said:
anthony87 said:
Zeel said:
GiantRaven said:
itchcrotch said:

THE

PROTHEAN

IS

STILL

IN

THE

GAME!

THE

DLC

MAKES

HIM

A

SQUADMATE!
Has there been official confirmation of this? Cause all i've heard are scripts. Which to me is stupid, because of course the lines of a day one dlc will be in the script
The lines of the DLC couldn't be in the script because production on the DLC hadn't begun until after ME3 was completed.

Llamazoid

Mar 10, 2011
laserwulf said:
I haven't finished ME1, nor started ME2, so I'll just wait for the inevitable GotY edition with all of the DLC for a reasonable price.

What I -do- have a problem with is significantly large DLC that has an unusually small footprint on my hard drive. An entire SC5 character (Dampierre) is the same few KB as a couple of clothing items? Sorry publishers, your on-disc "DLC" isn't fooling us. Chicanery like this makes me -less- interested in buying your game.
I hope your enjoying ME, the first game's DLC was shabby but it's probably only around 250 Microsoft points. Your probably best holding out for a Goty Edition for ME2 unless you really want to play ME3. The difference between your scenario and this is the the Character was never on the disk.

There hasn't been any confirmation that the Prothean is in the main game, if your prove is a old script that was thrown out. That's just dumb because your going to need scripts for any additional DLC especially if their's a mission with the character and that includes drafts. Another thing I'd like to point out is that people are suggesting, that because voice work and lines have been leaked it means this character was going to be in the main plot. That is dumb, all the dialogue I've heard is merely Squad banter, and line's that refer to the extra mission.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
meh. day 1 dlc is fine. online passes are not. ME3 has both. therefore... not ok. online passes are a lazy way to counter the used game market, Day 1 dlc that is completely optional is a smart way.

Llamazoid

Mar 10, 2011
joshthor said:
meh. day 1 dlc is fine. online passes are not. ME3 has both. therefore... not ok. online passes are a lazy way to counter the used game market, Day 1 dlc that is completely optional is a smart way.
Lazy perhaps, but what would you suggest as an alternative? Companies need to get as much revenue as they can for their next title. It's no mean feat to work around, used games, pirates and raging fans. Your right they really need to find a new way of counter these markets but until then I'm not going to begrudge a developer for using such methods. I'm happy enough to pay for what I get.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
lol I like this a lot.
"It's designed to appeal to long term fans. Knowing you love our work, we'll reward you by making you spend more money on things we know you want. We're nice like that."

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
Sounds like BS to me.
You can defend release-day DLC however you want, but all it really comes down to is "We want more money, and by god you're going to give it to us."

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
You want to know the best part about this? Even if the DLC was free, chances are that the bonus character won't be nearly as intertesting as the other cast of characters and people will just dismiss him as a minor character. I've seen this song and dance a dozen times, and everybody crying "SCREW YOU EA, IF I DON'T GET BONUS CHARACTER THEN YOU CAN SHOVE IT UP YOUR-", just think about if it will really affect you or not. Yeah, people aren't getting any smarter that's for sure. I' like to see more people giving them the benifit of the doubt.

Remember when Rocksteady released Catwoman as a totally seperate download pack on release day? Why isn't Bioware allowed to do the same?

If Bioware can integrate him as a memeber of the crew who will be just as intersting then I will be impressed. If people just want to sulk about it, then I guess they can just miss out on it. Bioware won't really mind.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
I'm going to chime in here. Casey Hudson isn't saying the Collector's Edition was made just for the loyal fans, but that it was made with loyal fans in mind. To me this says that Bioware have understood many people, especially those new to the series, are likely to go "Extra £30 for the collector's edition? Nah." Let's be realistic here, only hardcore fans (like me) are going to salivate over a lithograph and an art book, I can't see those new to the series having the same reaction.

As sucky as first day DLC is, I do empathise with everyone who isn't getting the Collector's Edition, but gaming companies are starting to take to this practice lately because of... *drum roll* the economy!

Seriously, I checked this up, having day 1 DLC that's made between the game being finished and the game being certified (two entirely different things), working on extra DLC keeps the team working on the game in a job until they have a new project. Now for all those who are either too young to appreciate money or lucky enough to have clung onto your jobs, finding yourself out of work suddenly sucks. If I had the choice of paying an extra £10 to keep the team who's made the greatest game trilogy of all time (my opinion, I don't care if people disagree) in work and making more, or boycotting a game out of spite and damaging the department, I'm handing over my cash.

Honestly guys, look at the bigger picture here. Is your OPTIONAL £10 in cash worth more than someone else's job?

EDIT: P.S. I just want to point out I harbour no love for EA before someone says it.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Nicolaus99 said:
This is your face. This is EA d_ckslapping your face. "/slap Mm, yea. That's good. /slap You like that don't you. Now push it around with your..."

Fight the hype, prove that you are humans worthy of respect and not sheeple. Refuse to buy until the final whatever edition comes out. You know, the one with the actual finished product in the box.

Respect yourself. Don't buy this.
The irony is that by using the term "sheeple", you yourself are being a sheep. Why not formulate your own opinion instead of just jumping on a bandwagon?