BioWare "Falsely Advertised" Mass Effect 3

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Sober Thal said:
-"the decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome,"-

So far that has been true enough for me.

I think that since the ending has been bitched about so much, that I could never honestly feel the vitriol expressed in these last few weeks. Maybe when I finish it, the ending will make me hate the entire experience (so far) enough to make me hate EVERYTHING more than the hours of great game I've experienced.

Doubtful, but maybe possible???

Sigh...
Lets put it this way; if you have any sort of investment in your Shepard, you'll be pissed. Especially if you've played through multiple ways to try and get different endings.

The only redeeming thing about the end is that it ends.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Screw it, I'm suing Robert Jordan for being dead. He clearly stated that he would finish the Wheel of Time, and that he would keep writing until they nail shut his coffin. Clearly, the series isn't finished, and the writing ceased before he was interred. As a consumer of this medium I have certain rights, and I will have them recognized and appreciated by the powers that be. This is a FALSE STATEMENT, and I demand recompense for my woes.
Is..is that how it works?

Jsor

Oct 17, 2007
No no no, everything does affect the outcome and experience. For instance, if it took you exactly 40 hours to complete, then the outcome changes slightly -- it happened at 40 hours 0 minutes of gameplay instead of 39 hours 59 minutes or 40 hours 1 minute. You also experienced a different amount of time in game!

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
LewsTherin said:
Screw it, I'm suing Robert Jordan for being dead. He clearly stated that he would finish the Wheel of Time, and that he would keep writing until they nail shut his coffin. Clearly, the series isn't finished, and the writing ceased before he was interred. As a consumer of this medium I have certain rights, and I will have them recognized and appreciated by the powers that be. This is a FALSE STATEMENT, and I demand recompense for my woes.
Is..is that how it works?
there's something called a statue of limitations. Perhaps you have heard of it?

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
Paragon Fury said:
Sober Thal said:

I think that since the ending has been bitched about so much, that I could never honestly feel the vitriol expressed in these last few weeks. Maybe when I finish it, the ending will make me hate the entire experience (so far) enough to make me hate EVERYTHING more than the hours of great game I've experienced.

Sigh...
Lets put it this way; if you have any sort of investment in your Shepard, you'll be pissed. Especially if you've played through multiple ways to try and get different endings.

I have about 20 ME2 saves, that were waiting for ME3. All imports from 1, to 2, ready for 3. I played the 3rd game once. And I will admit i had an epic time. Until the end. I, was not satisified. Since then, i've tried to replay the game with different saves. i mean, i have 20 of them. I've yet to be able to finish a 2nd game. I tend to get most of the way through it, see the different dialogs and such, lose steam by the 3rd act and replay a different one for new dialogs.

I have no desire, at all, to finish the game a 2nd time. Now, say what you will, i'm a cry baby, whatever. I'm not saying the game ruiend my life, it didn't, my life is pretty sweet frankly. I'm not saying it's killed gaming for me. It hasn't. I'm not even saying it's killed Mass Effect for me. I still like the books and the first 2 games. But, it's got no replay value for me... I have no desire to buy any DLC. I've not even downloaded the FREE MP DLC. I just don't care. That can't be the reaction bioware wanted from this game.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Undeadpool said:
Hence why I included the qualifier "Probably." Also the ending wasn't "broken," it was classic, high science fiction. If that's not to your taste, that's one thing, but in no way was it "broken."
It was broken.

Still Life said:
It's like a mob has gotten its hands on a glossary of popular terms, and is stitching arguments together without even stopping to consider the definitions of their favorite buzzwords.
That's more than a little insulting.

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
viranimus said:
Uh, then the BBB is still filled with morons. This is not the first time the BBB has supported something that is completely and unequivocally wrong. Seriously there is a laundry list of instances when the BBB has put their stamp of approval on a business that within the same year that same organization is found guilty of fraud, extortion and other illegal business practices and had been for years.

So thankfully the BBB has basically no actual weight in this matter. Because this is a moronic baseless decision. Simply put you cannot claim that peoples interpretation of "promises" are advertisements. Hell there is still no evidence of actual advertisements being made that have not been fulfilled.

Heres the crux.

The Mass Effect website promises, among other things, that "the decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome," which as she notes does not leave a lot of room for interpretation. "There is no indecision in that statement. It is an absolute,
This is the closest thing, to an actual advertised feature that people are able to present and it is still a failure to support the false advertising claim.

If the woman cannot even comprehend how that is NOT concrete and in fact NOT absolute, then her entire opinion on the matter is invalid.

Mass effect 3 delivered on a game where your actions completely shaped your experience. However it does not say at all that your decisions completely shape your ending. Yes your decisions shape your outcome, albeit it in a limited capacity, but it does not say that your decisions completely shape the ending, though even then it still does. For christ sake, they show you a video right underneath that text explaining exactly what they meant and they fulfilled that advertised promise.

The ending is not specifically the "outcome". Many of the outcomes were decided well before the last 10 minutes of the game as in which civilzations survived and which didnt. The "outcome" extends far beyond the final cut scenes. The final approach, the final confrontation are also parts of "the outcome" How many times have we as gamers been presented with a boss battle in which you can go ahead and fight the final boss, or you can do side content first to "weaken" the boss before its even engaged. Hell this isnt even new to bioware. Look at the final events of Dragon Age Origins. You shape the outcome at the Landsmeet, you shape the final conflict by the choices you made through the game in which allies you have who are defending you to allow you to go to the archdemon. Simply put, ME3 does allow for your choices to shape the outcome of events. It does not state that your choices shape the ending of the game.

Simply put the basis for the claim of false advertisement fails and this proves it because of a failure to differentiate the definition of the word ending and the word outcome and that the entire claim is based on nothing more than an incorrect assumption.

As for this person, If you cannot handle the simple task of reading comprehension then please for the love of god keep your opinion to yourself and if your opinion is a part of your vocation then congratulations, you have a job you are unqualified for.
I hope you don't mind me asking:
What are your qualifications for determining what is or what isn't false advertising?

I would take your word for it except you are writing things on the internet, and like the BBB the internet has a reputation for being filled with people who think they know what they are talking about when many eventually reveal they don't.

I do not mean any offense, just want to find out whether your statements are backed by either legal facts or some form of authority on the subject.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
Sober Thal said:

Sigh...

I was invested in all three of my Shepards, and I wasn't disappointed, or pissed. I actually enjoyed the ending (with the exception of the Normandy plot hole). I'm glad there was no closure. The way I see it is that I am Shepard, through out all three games, I only know what Shepard knows and once Shepard has died I can't know any more.
Still Life said:
twiceworn said:
you said something you knew would upset people in as insulting a way as possible in a thread that's about a legal FACT.
No.

What has been presented is a glorified blog where a member of the BBB has merely chimed their opinion.

It only becomes a legal fact if ever there is a trial -- and there has been no talk of a trial. The foundation of the matter is shaky at best because the definition of 'meaningful' has displayed a great diversity of interpretation. Furthermore, this is assuming the courts don't throw it out (due to it being rather frivolous) after the case spends a couple of years in legal limbo.
Thank you, someone else who realizes this.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Chosen_Chaos said:
Roboto said:
viranimus said:
The ending is not specifically the "outcome". Many of the outcomes were decided well before the last 10 minutes of the game as in which civilzations survived and which didnt. The "outcome" extends far beyond the final cut scenes.
I agree with this, but it is a self-undoing argument. Shpoilers

At the end of the day, regardless of what you did in any of the games, the Reapers are no more, everyone is utterly stranded in their home system to perish. That is a constant. Maybe the little details are different (destroy ending: same as above, but now you have to clean up Reaper mess) synthesis: everyone glows, I guess. Control: as above.
Right, the "everyone who comes to Earth to help with the final push is trapped and starves" argument, which is not quite accurate. Firstly, there are other forms of FTL travel that don't include the mass relays, but they're a lot slower, so it'd take longer to return home.

Which leads onto the next idea, namely that appropriate food-production systems can by jury-rigged from all of the scrap now cluttering up the Sol system. If you have the quarians with you, it becomes easier to see how it would work.
It's not even completely that. If the destruction ending did blow up all food making supplies and then the Quarians (if you let them live) replicated something to try to journey home (keep in mind the distance from Sol to the far rim was...yeah, that's across the galaxy) and then everybody starved or died on the way back, that still makes for a better ending. Maybe the Reaper tech is salvageable and can be used to make crazy powerful flight systems since the galaxy's best and brightest are all gathered at the Crucible anyway. At least you know that happened. Alternately, if the control ending the Reapers all float away, there is more infrastructure left, and the Citadel survived. Maybe dissect the Conduit to somehow restore the maybe-dead-maybe-not relays from this ending, and if Javik survived you can see him translating Prothean whatnot to decipher stuff? Then at least your choices may have done something if only superficially. Synthesis ending...you got me on that, I can't see how to flesh that one out. Suddenly everyone is part Reaper and they float into space to have an awesome soulbuilding musical.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Maybe they lied about Mass Effect 3 being the final in the series. It is a pretty big cash generator, they would not give up something like that.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
I was invested in all three of my Shepards, and I wasn't disappointed, or pissed. I actually enjoyed the ending (with the exception of the Normandy plot hole). I'm glad there was no closure. The way I see it is that I am Shepard, through out all three games, I only know what Shepard knows and once Shepard has died I can't know any more.
Kind of. Remember ME2, the part where you are Joker and know only what Joker knows, and then if you stupided the suicide mission, everyone goes X_X and Joker has to talk at the end?

Well, to be fair, he did get stranded and they showed that, probably to make sure they had my previous argument covered by sticking him on a remote planet where he wouldn't ever get to know what happened. Unless he keeps up via that freaking sweet comm thingy.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
1. Quick! Give him a warning! Forum posting violation! Attica! Attica!

2. Pro-level trolling...immediately followed by a 100 foot sign in image form. I really do like Critical Miss.

3. On topic: Don't besmirch the good name of Northern Indiana. We're close to Chicago, you know. Therefore, we're practically cultured.

And we knew this already. A branch of the BBB saying it doesn't make it any more or less true.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Roboto said:
artanis_neravar said:
Kind of. Remember ME2, the part where you are Joker and know only what Joker knows, and then if you stupided the suicide mission, everyone goes X_X and Joker has to talk at the end?

Well, to be fair, he did get stranded and they showed that, probably to make sure they had my previous argument covered by sticking him on a remote planet where he wouldn't ever get to know what happened. Unless he keeps up via that freaking sweet comm thingy.
Joker could have told Shepard about his adventure after, and I never failed the suicide mission so I didn't even think of that....you do have me there.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Vault101 said:
Kopikatsu said:
I just want to point out that the Shepard Lives scene is part of the ending (provided that you did the right things).

Indoctrination theory is still possible.
and the fact that (upon further examination) it looks like shepard "wakes up" on earth....(concrete and such, not futureistic metal)

THATs the thing that stands out

shepards tough..but he/she is hardly going to survise the citadel exploding and the re-entry
Shepard couldn't even survive the Normandy collapsing and re-entry. (Supporting your comment not fighting against it.)

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Roboto said:
artanis_neravar said:

Joker could have told Shepard about his adventure after, and I never failed the suicide mission so I didn't even think of that....you do have me there.
Which is why they conveniently strand him on a weird planet, so you still don't get to see the aftereffects but through his eyes. Ehh? Ehhh? It's all I can come up with. I thought the ship would be obliterated anyway coming out of that ASPLOSION, but Joker must have installed one of those HHGttG probability drives.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Shepard couldn't even survive the Normandy collapsing and re-entry. (Supporting your comment not fighting against it.)
oh..you BETTER be suporting my argument *angry glare*...
but yeah, shepard is legendary, but he/she is still human