BioWare: MMORPGs Have "No Point"

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Zeithri said:
Ah yes, because Voice Acting = Story!
Also, player models must be as photo realistic as modern graphics allow, never mind how you'll render seventy five of them in one room; setting the bar at consistent and fluid is obviously just pure fail.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Ghostkai said:
Zing said:
I've played WoW for 4 years before I quit about 8 months ago now, those stories are only interesting if you're willing to sit and shift through waves of tedious quest text, and what "voice acting" are you talking about? I can think I maybe 5 major questlines in WoW with voice acting, and that's it. Unless of course you're trying to count bosses talking, which I wouldn't. =\
Try the new instances, you'll be pleasently surprised :)
I played the 5 mans, Boss fights have always been about the only interesting part of wow PVE, well designed or not, the story still falls flat unless you want to read quest text.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Oh, here we go again. Complaining about other games of their genres again, are they?

Admittedly, I do somewhat agree, but that is besides the point.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Zing said:
Ghostkai said:
Zing said:
I've played WoW for 4 years before I quit about 8 months ago now, those stories are only interesting if you're willing to sit and shift through waves of tedious quest text, and what "voice acting" are you talking about? I can think I maybe 5 major questlines in WoW with voice acting, and that's it. Unless of course you're trying to count bosses talking, which I wouldn't. =\
I played the 5 mans, Boss fights have always been about the only interesting part of wow PVE, well designed or not, the story still falls flat unless you want to read quest text.
Eh? Thought you quit before 3.3 came out, Forge of Souls/Pit of Saron/Halls of Reflection, you don't need to read anything for that, it's all explained via voice acting. The whole sneaking mission to undermine Arthas with either Jaina(Alliance) or Sylvanas(Horde) was brilliant.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Akihiko said:
Oh, here we go again. Complaining about other games of their genres again, are they?

Admittedly, I do somewhat agree, but that is besides the point.
How are they complaining? They're simply stating facts, they didn't even mention any specific games, just a commentary on the genre, and I didn't see one thing they said that was wrong(as you acknowledged).

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
My issue with MMORPGs was no sense of accomplishment. I killed the dragon...right after someone else did and it respawned, and another guy waiting behind me to kill it.

I know it may seem silly, but often games give us the illusion we accomplished something. MMOs tear that down saying "no, silly man, you killed something thousands of others have, it had no bearing on anything".

Sark

Jun 21, 2009
Guild Wars 2 will be far better than the Old Republic. They seem to be doing similar things with personal storylines and such to give your character some meaning and depth. Actually giving the games a few role playing elements.
GW2 will have a system that allows player events to influence the world, where say, if you don't defend a villiage it gets burned down.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
I think this is really a debate about what the term "RPG" really means anymore. Lately any game that involves crunching numbers is considered an role-playing game, when you don't play any sort of role and instead are just juggling spreadsheets. Bioware is trying to make a 'true' MMORPG by putting story first.

The way MMOs convey story now is that an NPC will tell you to do a menial task and, as an easily-skipped aside, will give a rambling justification for why you should perform said task. It's very lazy and extremely hard to care about or follow. I heard they upped the storytelling a little with Lich King, but players who have stuck with the game long enough to reach the second expansion obviously don't give a crap about the backstory.

The thing is, WoW could have any setting and any characters, and 90% of the user base would play it exactly the same way. That's not role-playing, it's just an exercise in competitive mathematics.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Why do you love / defend Bioware?
- I'd guess "Because they make awesome stories"?

Because people are praising Bioware like the return of the King when the truth is that Bioware is nothing more than mediocre in terms of games. They aren't bringing anything new to the table, they're just fixing it and trying to make it sound new. And this works since everyone seems to have gotten mindblown by them.

And no, I am not simplifying it.
I am explaining that it is the same thing - just a diffrent introduction / execution or what to say.

And no again,
While your choices do affect your character, by the end of the day, you're still going to be in the same faction you started as which means that your choices are nothing more than cute little tidbits. Now that was simplified. But I highly doubt your choices will make any greater impact at all, despite what they say.
Answering my question with a question is just a cop out. Answer the question.

I don't love BioWare(I voted for Blizzard in March Madness). But I think they have the right idea with TOR here that is quite revolutionary, yes there other RPGs have just been improvements on Baulder's Gate II with different settings and better graphics. But this has never been put into the MMO genre anywhere near the scale.

Think about this, the weakest part of MMO's is always the story, especially while leveling. Leveling has always been a chore, you want to get past it as quick as you can to get the next level, the next spell etc.

Even though a game like KoTOR used this leveling system, where you upgrade and gain new spells, you didn't exactly care that much, you mostly cared about the ride, the story as you leveled. Bringing that into MMO's means that leveling isn't a chore, it's something you can enjoy(And there a unique story for every class).

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I hate bioware because they have cheapened their RPGs like square has.

--------------------------------------------------------

MMOs are meant to be time killers, they are not meant to have a point.
Sure you could have better direction/pacing but not much more than that....also no MMO should be more than 8$ a month with under 40$ expansions ......
-------------------------------------------------------

RPG for me means details you have stats that you gain via levels or some mechanic and you have a almost literal world to explore basically FFX and FF13 are not real RPGs but FF12 and FF9 are. :p

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Kharloth said:
Between the JRPG fans and now this, Bioware have been pissing alot of people off.....
Think they got much more praise than hate about the JRPG thing, since it's what everyone was thinking(unless you're a JRPG fan).

Ghostkai said:
Zing said:
Ghostkai said:
Zing said:
Eh? Thought you quit before 3.3 came out, Forge of Souls/Pit of Saron/Halls of Reflection, you don't need to read anything for that, it's all explained via voice acting. The whole sneaking mission to undermine Arthas with either Jaina(Alliance) or Sylvanas(Horde) was brilliant.
I quit before 3.3, came back for a bit at the request of others after 3.3, quit again before my month was up.

I guess we have a different idea on what Brilliant is, tacking voice acting onto Jaina/Sylvanas as they talk open-endly to the instance didn't really immerse me much.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Zing said:
I quit before 3.3, came back for a bit at the request of others after 3.3, quit again before my month was up.

I guess we have a different idea on what Brilliant is, tacking voice acting onto Jaina/Sylvanas as they talk open-endly to the instance didn't really immerse me much.
Ok, your probs just not into the lore as much as some of us then. Not for everyone it seems.
And they were talking to both us, Arthas, Uther, and certain Scourge commanders.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Zeithri said:
No, this is what they do.
They complain about others to make themselves look bigger.

Bioware is nothing but the gaming industry bullies.
That statement is just ludicrous, in my opinion. How would complaining serve to "make themselves look bigger".

First of all, if you read the news post, it's clear that this has been extracted from what BioWare said they have been using as somewhat of a business model to improve on what other MMO's have done wrong. It's clear that they didn't use any of the statements in a vindictive matter(like they did with JRPGs), it's just simply fact.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Even so, I still have fun with Guild Wars. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Ghostkai said:
Ok, your probs just not into the lore as much as some of us then. Not for everyone it seems.
I actually was up until Wrath, it got to convoluted and confusing at that point, I spent many countless hours trolling over the stories on WoWWiki in Vanilla/BC. Just plain reading the stories was sadly more fun then the "quests" that are suppose to live them out. =\

ps: won't be replying for a while, gotta go renew my license D: have fun kids.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
My color remains skeptical. I enjoy Guild Wars once in a while, but not nearly like I enjoy a good single player RPG. WoW? I played for about 3 years, and quit for two reasons; the community was trash, and like this guy says, the whole thing felt like I was chasing the dragon (grinding and gear... grinding and gear... grinding and gear... grinding and gear... grinding and gear...).

Lots of hype and yet to be fulfilled promises amount to squat until I see what they release to retail. Frankly, I predict ass loads of patches/hotfixes/tweaking/etc... and a lot of the same pulp MMO staples dressed in a fancy new Star Wars themed universe. Think, KotOR, only watered down to a fine filmy substance and spread wide and thin with time-sinks and grinding.