BioWare Still Unsure About Tali Reveal

Aug 17, 2009
There's a reason why the neighbour on Home Improvement, or the G-Man's machinations have never been revealed. It's the same reason Too Human, Duke Nukem Forever, Chinese Democracy, and all other vaporware (Real, bona-fide vaporware, not the few years Alan Wake or L.A. Noire got) always disappoints: Our imagination is better than anyone else's.

It would be cute if we didn't find out, because that would mean Shepard doesn't give a crap about what she looks like. You know. Like real romance.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Andy Chalk said:
-snippetty snip-
"We changed Tali - that was tough because people were very passionate about her. A lot of people want to have her face revealed and obviously people are going to be pissed off either way"
This is so sad (and ABSOLUTELY 110% true), that I legitimately feel sorry for Bioware.

It's also a bit Ironic, that the developers of more Morally ambiguous, "no-right-answer" moral decisions, than any other dev house........is now trapped in a morally ambiguous, "no-right-answer" decision.

And as a fan of Irony, this makes me chuckle. Good luck Bioware XD
Haha your comment made me laugh out loud. It's true though, they're stuck in a pretty nasty position.

I hope they don't show her face, even though I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE. But that might just end up like InFamous 2: I really wanted a second InFamous, but I really dislike the "new" Cole.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I'm not even a fan of the series, mostly cos I've not played them, but this still peeks my interest // Something like this is never going easy for the developers& they just know that no matter which way the go with the design it's going to annoy some of there fan base cos it's not how they envisioned her looking like // The same thing happen when the Lord of the Rings came out // Not even one is going to be happy

The main question now is, should they reveal what she looks like to us?

-M

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Still Life said:
I personally don't want to see Tali's face revealed. I think there's something said about leaving it to the imagination, and players have really taken on the character and have no doubt personalised and idealised her. You also can't please everyone :)

Besides, to my Shep, Tali is like a little sister.
Seconded....

Imagination will be far better then anything they can produce.

Hunter.Wolf

Jan 13, 2010
Guys, guys .. her face is already designed in the first Mass Effect Art Book .. it has tons of concepts for all the races .... there is a concept of Tali's face among them.

Here it is

And also .. if you increase the screen gamma in ME2 .. you can clearly see the silhouette of most Quarians faces under their helmets glass (noses, foreheads, mouths, eyes) .. they look pretty much normal "shape wise" .. i expect their skin is purplish and their eyes are blank white (but that last part is just my guess, as you can see it is quite different from the eyes of the concept art above but that's the impression i get from beneath the helmet in-game XD)

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Don't show Tali, don't show another Quarian. But do show a few cracked helmets just so we get a hint at the eye shape and chin flesh colour (probably albino or grey after generations of living in those suits no one would have any pigmentation!)

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hell no, keep the mask on. What're the chances that her species is physically attractive by human standards?

Lizardon said:
Bioware can't win. They show her face, people won't be happy with what it looks like. If they keep the mystery, people won't be happy that they never get to see what she looks like.
They'll be much less unhappy with a mystery face (maybe a few hints regarding shape/texture) than with a disappointing one!

NnEtT

Dec 14, 2008
Agreed, i mean tali is a beutiful and well thought out character without her face revealed once you see it its like oh cool or hot or eww, but then its seen it cant be unseen like i dunno darth vaders origins.
he was so badass before we found out he was a whiney bitchy teenager so yeah i like tali the way she is

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Hey, hey, BioWare, hey. Here's a crazy idea. How about you stop pandering and just do what you want to do? Leave the complaints of the players to the gameplay.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Hot or not, I don't care. I don't want to see it. It would spoil the mystery.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Personally, I've never cared that much about Tali, so I say Bioware should do whatever the hell they want with their character. I'm fine either way.

Gilgamesh00

Nov 22, 2008
I read this a few days ago, Casey Hudson said he knows there will be pissed off fans either way, right? It's good that they're aware of this.

Considering how pleased I was with Mass Effect's story so far, I think it's safe to say I'll be satisfied with whatever they chose to do in this matter.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
I don't know what to think about this 'issue'. On one hand, I wouldn't mind seeing her face finally, even if it isn't what I expected. Tali's been one of my more favorite characters of Mass Effect and it would be nice to finally see what's under the visor. On the other hand I can appreciate them keeping it a mystery. It keeps it so that the fanboys aren't raging about how she "looks wrong" or something even if everyone still wants to see her face.
TJ rock 101 said:
They could just show us what Quarians in general look like, without showing Tali's face. So then we would at least have an idea of what she is like.
I like this idea. Show us a face that gives us a base for what Tali might look like. It allows us to have more 'accurate' ideas on what her face is like, but still keeps it ultimately a mystery. A little of both worlds is oftentimes a good solution.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I would want to see her face after all this time trying to romance her throughout the series.

It may kill the mystery,but it has gone on long enough.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
Best solution? Let players choose whether to see her face or not. Not paragon/renegade, just a choice. Then, everyone is happy (or at least happier).

Rhedd

Apr 16, 2011
One of the main reason I took the Tali romance route in ME2 was because I wanted to see what she looked like (that and she's one of the coolest characters). So I felt kinda yanked about by them dodging the reveal. Which also didn't make much sense since I'm supposed to be Shephard, and he saw her unmasked.

Anyway, it may be a lose-lose for Bioware, but I reckon the people who want to see what she looks like will be more vocal if they're disappointed again than people who don't particularly want to know, but probably aren't that fussed either way.

Just keep the reveal for people who go the romance route, people who romance her probably want to know, people who don't, probably don't care. Simples.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
My thoughts on what she would look like are as follows: she is albino. I will now explain myself.
Because Tali, and by extension her entire species, have been wearing their pressure suits since they've been, let's say 3 years old, they would not have any bodily stimulation via sunlight or any light for that matter to develop proper skin pigmentation (unless Quarians have tanning bed technology installed into their suits).

So to elaborate, I would expect to see very pale skin with maybe a hint of pink, red tinted eyes, and white hair. It has also been explicitly stated in one of the Mass Effect novels that Quarians don't have external ear structures, and are otherwise simian in appearance.

Regardless of what happens, I'm sure that I will quickly adapt and move on, fortunately not Talimancer myself, not my problem.

kuyo

Dec 25, 2008
What Tali actually looks like isn't important. She didn't need good looks to get the boys' attention, she hasn't needed it to keep it, so obviously, her appearance isn't what's attractive about her.