Black Thor Actor Talks About Racist Comic Book Fans

20thCenturyBoy

Mar 25, 2011
Some people really need to lighten up and take those sticks out of their asses. What babies. "Waa, waa, a black man is playing a Nordic-inspired godlike alien, it's an insult against canon and White Culture! Waa, waa! Where's my status quo blanket, I need my status quo blanket, I'm a traditional nerdy conservative white boy who's afraid of progression! Waa!"

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
stinkychops said:
So if we don't like private enterprise trampling culture we should't express our concerns?

Fuck off you sanctimonious douchebag. I understand its not your fault, that doesn't change the issue.

Racist? Fuck you.

"So many fantastical elements", it was a goddamn real religion, butchered and put into a comic. Lets see what Liberals have to say about suggesting "Christianity has so many fantastical elements, whats wrong with portraying Mary as a slut? Thought no-one would notice!"

Hide behind the shield of calling everyone else racist if you want.

I think if you don't like peoples comments, you shouldn't speak back! HERP DERP
Lolodinists. Does lacking an effective argument against this hurt that much?

ChromeAlchemist said:
erbkaiser said:
A black Heimdall the Norse god is just "blackwashing" and generally retarded.

A black Heimdall the alien masquerading as a God (or whatever the comic book history is) -- who cares.

It's still strange casting, but at least it's justifiable somewhat. Too bad they didn't also cast an asian or native American as a "god" as well, that'd make it a lot better to show that the Marvel Asgardians can appear as members any Race of Man.
They did. :D

But I guess no one noticed?)
Like most of the complainers, he hasn't actually seen it, and is going by what his emotions tell him. Because the conversation has not focused on any non-Black Asgardians, he wouldn't know any exist.

Mar 20, 2010
I'll come up and say. Yes i was little upset when i first heard of this. Its because Heimdall was my favourite Asgardian in comics(yes i have a favourite Asgardian) and i wanted the character to stay as what he is in the comics. After i watched the movie thou. I can safely say, they made the right choise

I am however not pleased with Hogun's lack of mustache

side note: Oh shit 200th post!

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
This may sound a little off but I kinda agree with the fanboys. Actors get rejected for roles all the time based on appearence (too short, too tall, too fat etc) so why is skin colour exempt? It's part of your appearence too. If another actor was rejected to play Thor because the actor was too short would he get any support?

If you're trying to get an actor for an already established character theres nothing wrong with wanting the actor to resemble the character as already presented.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Vrach said:
I don't really give a shit about a black person acting in a movie, not against it racially at all, but I gotta say, I hate to see source material altered just so they could say "hey, look, our cast has a token black guy!". If they're casting an actor because of his skin color, then that IS the definition of racism, whether he's black or white.
It isn't. He pretty much steals the show, gives an amazing performance, and has one of the coolest scenes in the film.

Phase_9

Oct 18, 2008
Why does anyone care what color his skin is? If he's a good fit for the part, he deserves it. I'm a comic book purist myself, but that means wanting the story to fit the comic's story, not what race an actor is.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Realitycrash said:
So if Marvel has officially said that this is not part of any previous Marvel universe, how can anyone feel any sense of hurt feelings over a character being cast with a black actor?
Marvel embraces the Multiverse-theory, afterall, so this is just one where Heimdall is black..
Pretty much:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Why is always "offended" or "approving"? I'm not offended by a black guy playing a white deity, I just think it's silly. If people can ***** about the asian cast of Avatar being switched to white kids for the live action version, why should people somehow be fine with a white character representing a deity of a white ethnic group getting played by a black guy? Imagine if someone were doing a movie today based on African mythology and decided to cast the gods as a mix of white and asian people. You'd have such a PC shitstorm it would blot out the sun with all the flying feces.

But when someone suggests that replacing white dudes for no reason might not be ok, THAT'S racist? Really...

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
stinkychops said:
mr_rubino said:
stinkychops said:
So if we don't like private enterprise trampling culture we should't express our concerns?

Fuck off you sanctimonious douchebag. I understand its not your fault, that doesn't change the issue.

Racist? Fuck you.

"So many fantastical elements", it was a goddamn real religion, butchered and put into a comic. Lets see what Liberals have to say about suggesting "Christianity has so many fantastical elements, whats wrong with portraying Mary as a slut? Thought no-one would notice!"

Lolodinists?

What exactly are you saying? Are you suggesting that there is no argument to be made against him having the role?
There could be one. Make it. "But he's Black!" isn't it. As pointed out, this is a comic about aliens pretending to be gods noone cares about anymore. Except people do care about them in this universe, because they do stuff and be awesome-ish. Hyperbolic and irrelevant "Adam Sandler playing Malcolm X!!!" analogies need not apply.

And that was LOL + Odinists, Odinists being the fake religion of neo-druids and racists who are raising all the stink about this.
EDIT: Ok, they're really not. There are like 50 Odinists in the world, I'd gather. But for the sake of argument, I'm buying into the not-so-covertly-racist comic book geek mythmaking that this is some major religious controversy and not just black-people-scare-me nonsense.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
For me, it's a very fine muddy line of... mud. On the one hand, acting chops alone can't be taken into consideration for casting a role in comic book movies. On some level, especially in the comic book medium, where you are given a very specific visual that is constantly hammered into your mind, aesthetics need to come into play. A blonde 65 yr old man as Peter Parker will not work, and if someone did that, people are probably not going to take the film very seriously.

So on that level, the argument against a black Heimdall isn't racist at all. I suppose one could even argue that even shining the light on it as such is in itself racist. (I'm not saying I fully believe that in this instance, but I most definitely question sometimes if we shine too many lights on these things) After all, how many times are actors called out for not "looking" the part in Marvel movies? "Kirsten Dunst looks too dunce-like!" "Hugh Jackman is too TALL!" "Ben Affleck is too much of a weeny twerp to be Daredevil!" "Nicolas Cage is too old and incompetent to play Ghost Rider!" And on and on and on. These comments are rarely met with more than a shrug. So part of me does question if it's healthy to lift this issue above the others. Our gut reaction to the din against him shouldn't be "people don't embrace him cuz he's black." It should be "people don't embrace him cuz he looks nothing like the character."

I mean, I hate plenty of white people for absolutely stupid reasons. Nicolas Cage should be dumped off a bridge, Tom Cruise should be shot into space, my neighbor lets her dog defecate in my front yard and I'd love to catapult her and her little rat into the ocean. So why should I not be given the same freedom to hate black actors without being called racist? If I say I hate Will Smith because his ears look like Dumbo, accusing me of being racist and bringing extra attention to my hatred is most definitely not helpful. In fact, it perpetuates the exclusion of black actors from the white ones. In this instance, my ability to hate them for petty and sometimes silly reasons. (For the record, I haven't seen Thor, and I'm not so attached to Heimdall that I demand he be white. I'm just saying for general purposes we should not be so quick to cry racism.)

On the flip side, however... the world is chock full of stupid racists, and they are doing way more than their fair share of perpetuating the stupidity. In a situation like this it's even worse, because they blend in with the canonites so well you can't even tell them apart, which makes Joe Canon Lover on the street look like the dumb racist. It's all so confusing!

My take is that there are a LOT of white comic book characters, and in many instances, if the actor is good enough and the changes not immersion-breaking, I'm good with ANY sort of visual change. Black Heimdall is on the same plane of existence for me as ditching Wolverine's yellow spandex. If it suits the character, go for it. If not, I'ma make fun of your movie FOREVER.

I dunno. I go back and forth on it. But I definitely question the need to shine a spotlight on every little thing that maybe/possibly/could be racism. Even the Resident Evil 5 thing... I haven't played the actual game because the demo sucked, so I can't speak to anything but the original premise. And if a game is set in Africa, I think it would be odd to only have white zombies.

I'm done meandering now.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
stinkychops said:

Racist? Fuck you.

I'm assuming this is aimed at me?

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I might not say this right but I'm gonna try.

The reason I can get peeved when white people play so-called ethnic parts is that it seems like the easy way out - most big actors in Hollywood are white after all - not to mention it feels like they're pandering to the white we-can't-relate-to-someone-not-of-our-skin-colour audience.

I can occasionally think the reverse of course. In this case, a black man playing an ALIEN posing as a Norse god? No problem with that. I'm just glad they didn't cast him as Balder; the irony - is that right term? - would kill me. (Ha. Ha.) Then again I have no emotional investment in this - I'm not a Marvel comic fan and I've never read or so much as touched an issue of Thor - so I'm just saying this as a Scandinavian.

To be truthful though, I enjoy it when it's mixed up a bit. I mean Hale Berry as Catwoman failed spectacularly, but was it really because she was the wrong skin tone? Really people? (I'm actually asking 'cos I never saw it >_> I'm not a comic book fan alright?)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
mr_rubino said:
stinkychops said:
mr_rubino said:
stinkychops said:

Racist? Fuck you.

Lolodinists?

What exactly are you saying? Are you suggesting that there is no argument to be made against him having the role?
There could be one. Make it. "But he's Black!" isn't it. As pointed out, this is a comic about aliens pretending to be gods noone cares about anymore. Except people do care about them in this universe, because they do stuff and be awesome-ish. Hyperbolic and irrelevant "Adam Sandler playing Malcolm X!!!" analogies need not apply.

And that was LOL + Odinists, Odinists being the fake religion of neo-druids and racists who are raising all the stink about this.
EDIT: Ok, they're really not. There are like 50 Odinists in the world, I'd gather. But for the sake of argument, I'm buying into the not-so-covertly-racist comic book geek mythmaking that this is some major religious controversy and not just black-people-scare-me nonsense.
If there's only 50 of them, I feel priveleged, because I personally know at least three of them -- although they just use the generic term "pagans" to refer to themselves; they seem to get all of the different pantheons mixed up, instead of sticking to just one. I knew a guy who was convinced he'd go to Valhalla when he died, though.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Shhh, don't tell this to the wankers arguing about skin colour: He might be black due to him being in the sky and getting more sun! Shhh! We can explain away character changes with this little thing... imagination!

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
WolfThomas said:
Realitycrash said:
So if Marvel has officially said that this is not part of any previous Marvel universe, how can anyone feel any sense of hurt feelings over a character being cast with a black actor?
Marvel embraces the Multiverse-theory, afterall, so this is just one where Heimdall is black..
Pretty much:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Cinematic_Universe
But that list doesn't cover Fantastic Four, Spider-Man OR X-men! HAH! Plenty of canon-violations there!

stinkychops said:

Racist? Fuck you.

Sweeet, someone is going to get probition.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
...and Antony Hopkins isn't Scandanvian! No-one complains about that, because that would be silly (like this is).