Body Quirks

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Mr Fixit said:
I can wiggle my ears, not sure how odd that is because my brother can do it too. I can also make my entire scalp move, again not sure if everyone can do that, but it's very noticeable with me. I've had several people tell me it's very freaky.
You're not alone. I can do that aswell. Infact I always did as a reaction when I was shy when meeting new people.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
0takuMetalhead said:
Mr Fixit said:
I can wiggle my ears, not sure how odd that is because my brother can do it too. I can also make my entire scalp move, again not sure if everyone can do that, but it's very noticeable with me. I've had several people tell me it's very freaky.
You're not alone. I can do that aswell. Infact I always did as a reaction when I was shy when meeting new people.
I do it on purpose when I talk to a few select people because I know it really bugs them. Yeah I'm an ass like that.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I can spread my toes without help, BEHOLD MY WEIRDNESS!

I can also put my feet behind my head (which I'm told is not bad for someone at the length of 195cm) and stretch my arms above my head so they lean on the lower part of my neck.

Added: Apparently it's called "hypermobility". Awesome! Sounds like a superpower!

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm, my second and third toes are fused half the length, to the joint - i am told that it is a very common genetic mutation.(Also indicator for a few defects i don't have... phew)

Other than that: my eyes are ridiculous sensitive: Can't get contact lenses on them also i can't open my eyes under water and i am crying like a waterfall when someone cuts onion like... miles away. For that i seem to have a slight night-vision (Not really superhuman, but i can see pretty well when everyone i know is stumbling around and falling into bushes *g*)

EDIT: What is so special to be able to grab things with your feet? Ok, fine-manipulations would need a bit of training i guess... but grabbing fallen pencils and dice?

Kushan101

Apr 28, 2009
Phasmal said:
I can put my thumb behind my knuckle. Grosses everyone out at work.
I can do this on both hands, yet bizarrely, most people I show it to then TRY to do it themselves and force one of their thumbs into the same position - I'm the one who ends up cringing and waiting for the inevitable "snap" as someone breaks a thumb.

I have two fused vertebrae at the base of my spine, makes bending over or some exercise a bit painful, nothing that terrible though.
Also got Gilbert's syndrome - which is quite possibly the most horrendous name for a condition - which, if I remember correctly: is a malfunction of the liver, causing it to produce too much of a certain enzyme. If I'm very ill, hungover or just run down then I'll get a bit of jaundice. The doctor said it makes me 2/3 less likely to get heart disease though. Not a bad trade off really!

I have quite short legs compared to my torso, but I think thats just a thing with people in the UK. Most people here seem to have the same problem.

I...uh... kinda have a small hole above my bumhole too. Apparently its called a "fistula" - which is a horrendous first syllable for anything anus related - and isn't normally a problem. I damn well hope not, don't particularly want the doc looking up... there.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Kushan101 said:
Phasmal said:
I can put my thumb behind my knuckle. Grosses everyone out at work.
I can do this on both hands, yet bizarrely, most people I show it to then TRY to do it themselves and force one of their thumbs into the same position - I'm the one who ends up cringing and waiting for the inevitable "snap" as someone breaks a thumb.
Yeah, I can do it on both hands too.

I either get the `EW STOP IT` reaction or people try it themselves. I usually ask people before I show them to promise not to try it themselves.

... I did once know a guy who could turn his whole foot around. That was interesting.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Third nipple, atypically wide feet (due to which all my outer toes are bent slightly inwards), my normal face can look like I'm constantly scowling due to the amount of eyebrow raising I've done over the years, I can wiggle my ears and make practically any joint in my body make a nauseating crack. The looks on people's faces when they hear me crack my neck or fingers are priceless.

Kuilui

Apr 1, 2010
I'm very double jointed in my arms. I can put an arm behind me neck and scratch the other side of my chest without any discomfort. I usually use my arm as a pillow, its great when your somewhere uncomfortable and you still want to lay down. Portable pillow : 3. I used to be able to put my legs behind my head. I still can but its painful so I can't for very long. I can do the star trek hand thing on both hands. I can make one of my eye lids twitch rapidly while keeping the other one mostly just completely normal. Really freaks people out which I love, same with the arm thing I scare my aunts so bad with it lol.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well I have this weird lumpy patch of skin on the lower left corner of my back that has been with me ever since I was a baby. The doctors said it was nothing to worry about. I sometimes forget that it's there most of the time.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
my hands are unusually warm, the skin on the soles of my feet is bizzarely thick, and I can click my tongue with enough force that it can temporarily deafen people if I do it near their ears, that's it, no other wierdness or interesting things other than the ability to melt ice with my hands slightly faster than other people, not wear shoes, and make a loud noise. woo.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Only thing that is coming to mind involves the long toe (second toe) on both my feet. They are strangely skinny then get fat at the very end. They look strange but have never caused any problems. Whatever it is, I reckon it's genetic. While my father and brother don't have this, my nephew does. I've not met anyone else toes like this.

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
The lower part of my ribcage protrudes so much (even though I'm hardly thin!) that it looks like I have a couple of small, low breasts.

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
LittleBumble said:
I also... Am a zombie. A long while ago in my first year of High School I got bit on the ankle by a bunch of fire ants. Blisters formed of course, being an idiot I decided to just pop them and use ointmint. I figured they would pop anyways and just wanted the discomfort over with. Turns out popping one of them caused an angry... Welt, I guess? Appropritately enough it looked like a burn. So that had to heal up for a good while... And then I also nicked it while shaving my legs. When it finally healed proper I was left with a little slightly dark spot on my ankle, if you press on it it sinks, like there isn't any flesh there. So thus... I am a zombie.
Truly the undead are among us.

OT: My adult canine teeth came is nubby, and sharp. They said there was a term for it, but I can't remember, but anyways I got them capped so it's basically fixed. My right wrist cracks really loud when I move it, and I have really dark circles under my eyes all the time, regardless of how much sleep I get.

So I guess I'm a zombie in the sense that I look like a diabetic insomniac.

Mar 26, 2008
Zhukov said:
My knees make a soft grinding sound if I put significant amounts of weight on them when bent. It doesn't hurt or anything, but the noise is a bit freaky. Doctor says it's harmless.
I have that too but only with one knee. It sounds like a cement mixer but the physio says it's nothing bad.

Zhukov said:
I am developing a bald spot at the tender age of 26. Fucking genetics. Thanks dad!
A friend of mine went TOTALLY grey at 25 thanks to his dad's genes.

I'm pretty unremarkable; however I'm 6"3' and solid, with size 14 feet but small hands (attached to thick wrists), which I find weird. Got my, much shorter, dad's stubby fingers.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
My lower left ribs are weird. The bottom 2 are fused together and jut out at a weird angle, which tends to freak people out the first time they see it. It's genetic, and my dad, my dad's siblings, and my brother all have it. It doesn't hurt or impede functioning at all, it just looks really odd.

My bones seem to be incapable of breaking. I mean, I've been in situations that should have resulted in a broken bone, and I've gone in for X-Rays for 3 injuries over the course of a year, but nope, just some nasty sprains. Either I'm just lucky, or I have surprisingly resilient bones.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
My right thumb is hypermobile to the point of being able to pop it out of it's joint partially.

When I stretch out I have to watch it with my knees because I have a habit of hyper extending them and my ankles without trying(which apparently also grosses people out?)

I'm slightly hypermobile in my shoulders so if my hands are bound in some way behind my back I can get them to my front.

I can crack various parts of my body on command most of the time.

I'm slightly ambidextrous (I don't trust my left hand with sharp things yet but just about everything else I can do both right and left handed).

My left arm is the only part of my body that will hold a tan and that's only because I hang it out the window when I drive.

My lungs hate me and don't like me to breathe so I have asthma from it.....

If I don't shower daily, you can tell by how unwashed my hair looks(and I mean daily by a 24 hour period of time). My hair gets oily quick. And my face is excessively oily causing me to break out in zits and blackheads especially during the summer months.

Also, my pH balance is sensitive enough that if I wear any kind of knickers/underwear/pants (whatever your country/region calls them) I get infections. Especially during the summer. I can pull off wearing them for one day a month. Any more than that and it's not good. And sometimes too many changes in temperature will set it off too

I sweat more than most of my guy friends and 90% of deodorant doesn't work for me. And the only kind that does is the stick type deodorant.

I get easily dehydrated and really have to watch my fluid intake.

I can't wear white clothing when it's hot out. The darker my clothing the cooler I am. The lighter(whiter) my clothing the more easily I'll get over heated. I don't understand it either but it's what happens.

My right knee will randomly give out and has been doing this since 2006. To date, X-Rays still show nothing wrong with it. I haven't had a recent MRI yet(but I'm bugging my dr about it because I want to know what the fuck is wrong with it) but the last one I had showed nothing wrong with my knee so most doctors are convinced it's all in my head. Because y'know I WANT to not be able to walk upstairs. Or to have a point where I just can't walk anymore and collapse on the ground. Cause it's not like that hurts or anything.

I have a high enough stress level that the muscles in my back constantly push my spine out of place and 10 minutes after I get it adjusted from a chiropractor it's back to not being adjusted. Even if I've just seen a massage therapist. And I don't know how to not be stressed or make the muscles exist in a state of relaxation long enough.

I can unwrap starbursts with my tongue and tie cherry stems into knots with my tongue.

My legs, unless they get wet, will not burn and I have gone an entire year of being outside in shorts without them getting any colour and being almost the same colour as my white socks.

My body heals up really quick when it comes to piercings or taking out piercings. I had to take one of mine out recently because my body was rejecting it and it healed up almost completely in less than a month. Which is a process that's suppose to take 2-3 months.

I don't feel pain on the same level as everyone else. And most of the time if I don't see an injury, it doesn't hurt until I look at it. Even then it will hurt for maybe a minute and then go back to not hurting.

Redlin5 said:
I WANT DOUBLE JOINTS DAGNIT
No you don't. Hypermobility and double jointedness is not something you want. Trust me. (also unless you actually have two joints in one place it's hyper mobile not double jointed)

And my hair was almost white blonde as a child. It's a light brown/dirty blonde colour now when I let the colour grow out of it and don't re-dye my hair. My roots were always brown as were my eyebrows leading many people to assume my hair was dyed as a child yet I didn't start dying it until I was almost 20. I have also naturally always had black, brown, and red mixed in with my blonde hair and as a result can dye my hair almost any colour and have it look completely natural (including purple). My blonde hair was problematic growing up and still kind of is. Growing up it was because adult women would stop me(this was when I was a teenager) and harass me to give me the name of my colourist because my hair was so pretty and then they'd get vicious when I told them it was just genetics. The secondary problem that I still have to deal with when my hair is blonde is people assuming that I'm stupid and don't know what I'm talking about and patronising me. As a result I tend to keep my hair dark so that when I have conversations people don't pat my head and tell me "it's alright I know I'm using big words and you don't understand what's going on" or some variance of that because even with the piercings in my face and stuff blonde hair on me makes me look like a child.

Speaking of looking young, I constantly get told that I don't look my age (I'll be 30 in January). And get told how lucky I am. Except I'm not as I've gotten into arguments with bartenders over if I've stolen my id or faked it because I don't look over 21. Until I cut my hair. Then apparently I went from looking like I was 13 to 21. It's frustrating as hell.

Get me on audio either on youtube or a VOIP program or on the phone and I sound like a child. But in person I sound like an adult. And when I say child I mean between the ages of 5 and 10.

And I can contort my body into positions I technically shouldn't be able to do and hold them for quite a long time.

I can control my breathing enough to make it look like I'm not real and without use of a sports bra or a binder I can make it look like I don't have boobs.

And I think that's it.

Oh and my middle toe is longer than my big toe and I can use my feet almost like a second pair of hands for some things.