Character you love that everyone else hates

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
w9496 said:
Jack and James in the Mass Effect games.

I think people hated Jack because of her first impression(what a *****!), but if you take the time to actually speak with her, you learn why she is that way. Her romance sub-plot was probably the most well done in 2, but rather lackluster in 3, as in she was barely in the game at all.

James was hated because he was a new character in the end of the trilogy, and people here seem to be afraid of characters that have muscles and mohawks. I'll admit that he doesn't have a lot of deep and meaningful story aside from the mission where he lost a lot of his squad, but a good chunk of his lines were really funny. He was arguably the best squadmate for combat too, as he kicks almost too much ass with the Revenant or Typhoon.
WTF happened to Jack in ME3? I rekindled my romance with her, she arranged to meet me on the Citadel (presumably for some crazy monkey sex) but then never showed up :-(
I don't know why, but I had to look for her. I'm pretty sure she doesn't show up on the map so you have to find here yourself. She should be sitting at the table at the bottom of the stairs before the upper bar.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ashley Williams was awesome, yet everyone talks with great glee about how they let her die. WHY?

Also, I see a lot of bile for Lara Croft as a character, and while she IS annoying in the first game, I thought she seemed decently realistic in the later games (if not a bit Mary Sue-ish).

thejarofdirt882

May 2, 2012
The two that really stick out in my mind are Ashley Williams & Miranda Lawson from Mass Effect. I get why people like them but I quite liked their character arcs and the way their most hated personality traits were handled.

I also thought Claptrap was awesome in that cute robot thing that I have a weakness for...

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
Niko Bellic from GTA4. Well written, very unique character who's personality contrasts in a good way with all the crazies in Liberty City.

Ashley Williams from the original Mass Effect. She's one of the most realistically portrayed characters in videogames as far as I'm concerned. She really felt like a well rounded character who you could genuinely learn to love or hate based on your own views, not those of the writers telling you theirs.

Aveline from Dragon Age 2. Just a very fun and once again unique character. I really liked having her along for the ride.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Joshua from the World Ends With You. It seems like most people hate him because he's kind of an annoying prick. These are the qualities I admire in him. He just seems to me like an interesting guy to be around.

Garyn Dakari

Nov 12, 2011
Pretty much any Mass Effect character that people commonly dislike(Ashley, Vega, ect.), except for Jacob, Samara and Miranda. I still don't dislike the latter three, but I don't love them either. There isn't a single squad mate in the ME series that I didn't like though.

Also, I don't love him, but Nathan Drake is a pretty fun character, IMO.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Ashley Williams was awesome, yet everyone talks with great glee about how they let her die. WHY?
because she is boring and Bioware is incompetent at writing good human characters in Mass Effect(James Vega was pretty cool though).

hmmmm... That is a hard one, I will just go with James Vega. I don't love him, but I like him and think that people should actually try to get to know him rather than immediately writing him off because he is buff and tan. James was actually the only human I liked in Mass Effect(well Miranda was alright but isn't as good as Garrus or Grunt, then again neither is Vega, so James is my favorite hummie in Mass Effect).

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Wrath from FMA: Brotherhood. While I'm not entirely sure he's loathed or hated, I know he's one of the least popular of the homunculi. He's just so awesome, it that really shallow way, yet he also contains a really, at least from my perspective, interesting character arc. Plus he defeated a tank with a sword and defused a bomb by cutting of the ignition. The dudes got so much awesome it's coming out his ears.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I really like Miranda from Mass Effect 2/3, although that could just be because of Yvonne Strahotski.

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
Joffery from Game of Thrones...

Just kidding. Nobody likes that twat.

OT: I would have to say Nathan Drake. He gets more hate than he deserves and he is actually pretty funny.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Roman Bellic. There's a lot of people who found him annoying, but I enjoyed my time around him during certain missions and thought he had a sort of innocent charm. Well... about as innocent as you get when you're caught up in gang activities.

James Vega from ME3. Much like the protagonists from Far Cry 3, everyone likes to mentally avoid Vega because of his appearance as a douche. But to me that's exactly what makes him great. Everyone seems to think that all characters should be likable and appeal to them. If you look past his appearance, you'll see that he has a meaningful background and emotions and stuff. Many just labelled him douche, but I thought of him as more of an action-loving goofball.

Initially, I was sorta put off by Nathan Drake's movie star action man persona. Then, after some internet discussion, it was pointed out that he was actually insane. Think about it. No authorities on his treasure hunting quests, millions of bad guys killed, and all the while, he acts cool and collected. It doesn't bother him at all. He's enjoying it. And that's awesome to find that underneath his initial appearance.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012

I think he's the manliest anime character to ever exist....

All sarcasm aside, I really don't hate Shinji, but didn't particularly like him at first. Not because he was "spineless" or anything like that, but because (along with Rei and Asuka) his development just kind of went to a stand still half way through. I found the side characters such as Misato, her ex-boyfriend and Ritsugo to have a much more interesting dynamic than the main trio. That is, before I watched Rebuild 2.0. After that film, I can confidently say Shinji is no longer the pussy he was before, Asuka does something genuinely nice and Rei gets to have some development besides standing there and looking unemotional.

Also, Rossiu from Gurren Lagann. Yeah, he does some dick moves in the second half, but if laws like "logic" and "sanity" were applied to the world of Gurren Lagann, then he would be the only sane and competent character of the series and you can see where he's coming from half the time watching the show.

Anyone who has played the Fate/Stay Night VN would also know that Shirou is much more mature and competent than his Fate Route counterpart and the whole "people die when they are killed" was really just poor translation.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
lacktheknack said:

Also, I see a lot of bile for Lara Croft as a character, and while she IS annoying in the first game, I thought she seemed decently realistic in the later games (if not a bit Mary Sue-ish).
I liked Ashley in the first game, ME2, not so much (though really, seeing that she didn't have much of a part in ME2 beyond "show up, moan about Cerberus, leave", there wasn't much else to go on there) but thought she was fine in ME3. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Kaidan was as dull as ditchwater in my opinion, so that's we had to go the first chance we got.

Blazingdragoon04

May 22, 2009
Kirby (specifically in Smash Brothers)

He gets a lot of flak for being really "kiddy" and his games being too easy, but they are among some of the most fun games I've ever played in my 20 years of gaming. Great stress relievers.

And my friends HATE when I play him in any smash bros game. The first game it was because he was a bit overpowered.

Then in Melee he's considered terrible, but I just fly around the arena eating whoever I know will give me the coolest looking hat (pro tip, its Ganondorf.)

Then in Brawl it's a combination of the two. He's really good in brawl, and if anyone is playing snake they will immediately be eaten so I can rock my awesome manly beard on my adorable little ball of pink fluff.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The_Lost_King said:
lacktheknack said:
because she is boring and Bioware is incompetent at writing good human characters in Mass Effect(James Vega was pretty cool though).

hmmmm... That is a hard one, I will just go with James Vega. I don't love him, but I like him and think that people should actually try to get to know him rather than immediately writing him off because he is buff and tan. James was actually the only human I liked in Mass Effect(well Miranda was alright but isn't as good as Garrus or Grunt, then again neither is Vega, so James is my favorite hummie in Mass Effect).
People call her "boring", and then cite Kaiden as a better character.

Thus, I no longer put stock in the idea that "she's boring".

It's also not adequate explanation as to why people were genuinely excited to bump her off.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
If I knew what characters everyone else hated that would be great.

Although i'll take a wild stab at people not liking Ashley Williams from Mass Effect (see a lot of abuse thrown her way) but I liked her.

And Jack (Subject Zero). See a lot of folk throw abuse her way too but she's one of my favourite characters (and one of the reasons I hate ME3 ... not enough Jack).
Welp you stole what I was going to say.
Love me some Jack :)

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Yamcha from DBZ should fit into this.

Granted this was ages ago, but would get a fair amout of vitriol for liking the "weakest" character in the series.
Did result in nice trolling though when i'd play him dbz budokai 3 and beat up kid buu and goku/vegeta players :)

Otherwise i was surprised to hear Steiner from ffIX is considered the worst character and a boring one according to the few ffIX fans ive seen dicuss it. Love that bumbling tinman ^^