Cheating in relationships

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Aerevolt said:
With the recent Zoe everything going on I realize just how much of the topic is about what a "lying cheating slut" she is.
That's not what it was about, but what everyone on some major gaming websites are trying to reduce it into to make people critical of them the villains. Though by Zoe's personal definition, cheating is rape.

To be on-topic. There really isn't an excuse for cheating, if you want to leave someone, do it first then be with someone else. Why do people stay? Because strong feelings make people do pretty dumb things. Some people can get over it, but to me the trust would be gone, I'd always be suspicious of their actions.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Don't think I'm playing devil's advocate here or anything but I think sexual exclusivity in a relationship is archaic as fuck.
You'd never tell your significant other that they couldn't masturbate? Would you?
As long as you're in an emotionally satisfying relationship who cares who fucks who?

I could imagine being lied to like that would suck, but I think it's outlandishly selfish to be like "I like you, but you're only allowed to have sex with me"

I mean you're an adult (I assume) Don't fall in love with someone who's judgment you don't trust, and also don't rule out moments of passion just because someone makes you happy

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mikeyfell said:
Don't think I'm playing devil's advocate here or anything but I think sexual exclusivity in a relationship is archaic as fuck.
You'd never tell your significant other that they couldn't masturbate? Would you?
As long as you're in an emotionally satisfying relationship who cares who fucks who?

I could imagine being lied to like that would suck, but I think it's outlandishly selfish to be like "I like you, but you're only allowed to have sex with me"
mabye unconventional relationships don't work for everyone....who knows, jealously can do things to people and while we can say that we're cool with it we may not be when the time comes...

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Aerevolt said:
Why stay in a relationship when you know someone is cheating?
Someone said because of feelings and I do agree with that notion. Feeling of love make us supress many others so we could stay in touch with person that is an subject of those feelings.

Aerevolt said:
Why do you have to suspend all reason in order to stay in the relationship?
Not really. It's sometimes rational decision. Will you trust that person ever again, and can you live with not trusting that person, at least as far as sexual relationships go.

Aerevolt said:
If you break up because your significant other cheated on you is it ok to post every detail on the internet for all to see, including names?
NO, unless that person did something beyond usual undersheet aerobics or falling in love with another person. There are excuses when person used love to abuse and/or profit but that's the line. Also dropping a word or two to friend to watch his back is OK with me.

Aerevolt said:
These are tough questions and even I don't think I have my own answers, but it would be interesting to see if there are common patterns. Feel free to share your own completely ridiculous lies that you believed from a cheater.
I have been told that I'm quite unfair with my handling of events like these but I really do want and need clarity. It's my flaw. Whenever I feel relationship heating up i start talking, in some capacity about infidelity. Purpose of that is to make a statement that I'm monogamous, that I will not cheat, i have not cheated on any person with which I was in relationship even when I fell in love with someone else head over heels (i broke up first, it was a mess). Most importantly of all I say that I really hate lack of trust therefor if you cheat on me tell me within a few days yourself and we can try to get over it or i will end relationship on spot if I find out by myself. Which have happened. Both scenarios.

Mikeyfell said:

Each to it's own. My good friend is like that. Actually not any more, we had huge fights over that and he agreed to be more honest with his SOs (well fights were about honesty, not really sleeping with others. After all if you do have permission form your SO it's not cheating) but it's mostly that he matured. Now he's thankful for it since his relationships are better. Heck, he's even strictly monogamous when he's with right person.

captcha: they are watchin
captcha is seriously making me feel weird last few days

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Cheating is stupid. Full stop with a period at the end. Not only are you hanging on to a relationship that you are clearly not committed to anymore but you are poisoning your new relationship by being dishonest about your old one. Skulking around and fearing getting caught is not healthy for anyone involved and the new relation does not deserve that shit any more than the old.

most of the time, it's a coward's way out. "But I don't want to lose half my stuff in a divorce" "I don't want to upset him/her" "I still love him/her but i also love him/her"

Oy.Close relationships are founded on trust. You skulk around on them behind their back, that means you don't trust them and they certainly should trust you. So either be open with what's going on and deal with the consequences therein or don't but don't make any of the above wishy washy BS excuses while you are doing it. Be a grown up and be open with it and deal with it. If that means you have to give one of your relationships up then do so because your partner has a fucking say too.

Having said that, the entire internet does not need to know it. It's personal life and should be kept that way. I'm not into slut shaming regardless of the gender of the slut.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
BinDipper said:
Doesn't really matter though. Cheating can still happen in polyamorous relationships, it's the deception and betrayal that's key to cheating, not an arbitrary measure of who put what body part where.
Well, my experience suggests that successful polyamorous relationships (which not all polyamorous relatonships are, of course) cheating ultimately becomes very difficult, because deception just becomes pointless. If my partner was sneaking off to bang someone to the point it impacted on my life, I wouldn't feel it was malicious.. I'd feel it was stupid. Honestly, I think I'd be more disgusted that I was sleeping with someone who was ashamed of their own sex life than any conception of betrayal because why do I care? Why would my sense of self worth be impacted?

I mean, the only other thing is the STI risk but as I see it I committed to dealing with that risk when I got into this lifestyle. If you don't expect your partner to be monogamous, then it's pretty stupid not to take some responsibility. Why would I rely completely on anyone else for something that important? In fact, I don't really see why monogamy makes a difference there. After all you have no way of guaranteeing your partner is monogamous or being honest about their sexual history just because they say they are anyway. Stastically, every fourth person posting here will cheat at some point in their lives.[footnote]Although you shouldn't trust stats about this completely, as they're pretty hard to obtain within the boundaries of good research and vary widely - still, 25% is a pretty low estimate for lifetime prevalence. Kinsey was reporting 50% in the 1950s.[/footnote]

This is obviously just my feeling, but I think it's quite indicative of the attitudes of people I know who have stuck with poly long term.

BinDipper said:
It's just one way to look at it, another way to look at is is that polyamorous folks are weak and hedonistic and care only about satisfying their base urges above all else.
I also want to talk about this because both these arguments are things I've encountered and I think they aren't good responses to each other. The historical argument that monogamy is archaic is based on the idea that monogamy doesn't work and that things like cheating evidence this. The argument that poly is evidence of personal weakness, however, is not based on whether it actually works, but simply on the idea that sex is wrong and that engaging in it represents some kind of personal degradation, which is something anyone is entitled to believe but isn't really a response. In fact, this argument is particularly inappropriate in the case of polyamory as a subculture because it is a group which is so insistent that what they do is not about sex at all. I mean, polyamory, from the latin amor meaning affection or love.[footnote]I don't buy that, I don't think that separation is particularly real, but it's certainly an argument people will fall back on..[/footnote]

I mean, you could make the argument that poly doesn't work in the sense that most polyamorous relationships tend to be very short-lived and a lot of people do end up going back to monogamous relationships long term. That's certainly my memory of what the research says anyway. I mean, I'd respond by saying that no relationship pattern really seems to be working right now so who cares, but I still think it's a more genuine counter to Mikeyfell's argument than just "sex is bad, you're weak if you do it for no reason". That's pretty easy to dismiss.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I've been the guy that girls have cheated with before, never in situations where I know the guy personally and usually without my prior knowledge that the girl is even in a relationship. Admittedly, that last part never mattered to me. I've never been in any kind of 'serious' relationship. I've dated, but I'm only 19 and the idea of dedicating yourself to one person seems a bit bizarre as of yet. Most of the guys either found out directly about me, or generally that they had been cheated on. Some girls blamed me, others wanted a relationship with me. Everyone but me got upset.
So, from that perspective, you shouldn't stay in a relationship with someone who has cheated on you - unless you're into that. It's usually not an emotional thing, to cheat, but a sexual desire to sleep with multiple partners. If someone cheats once they'll likely do it again. And if you've just caught them it's likely not their first time.
As to the second point, and again this is just from my experience, regaining trust is a myth. If you have confirmed doubts about someone they will become a sticking point in your mind. They will become the focal point of every heated discussion - let alone argument - about anything. You could debate over what to have for dinner and your brain will conclude that bringing up his/her infidelity will win it for you. So in order to even think that the relationship can continue, you have to suspend all reason.
Thirdly, no. Airing dirty laundry is bad news for everyone. Their is no real satisfaction for vindication - only an imagined one at the thought of revealing these secrets. Revenge sucks for everyone. In our mind we construct epic tales of revenge that completely ignore the most important part: You've already lost. Making that girl or guy you used to love feel like shit will not make you less of a loser. All our lives are full of swings and roundabouts, we all have setbacks and we all end up investing too much into something that will blow up in our faces one day. Take shitty times as an opportunity to reach out to people you know love you, and consider your options moving on. Don't go all in on exacting your pathetic revenge on other people who aren't worth your time.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
I've cheated and been cheated on, and in response to this question:

If you break up because your significant other cheated on you is it ok to post every detail on the internet for all to see, including names?
That's all anyone I don't know personally needs to know.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I don't take betrayal well. I was cheated on once, it was fucking horrible to say the least. She had some stuff over at my place so before she could pick her stuff up, and after I had gotten my things from her place, I donated all of hers. We still have one mutual friend, and according to him, she's rationalised her cheating to all of her close friends by saying, "I deserved it because I didn't see it coming."

Yes, I'm still bitter about it, can't you tell?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'm not monogamous, so my wife and I have both seen other people, and shared as well. It's the healthiest, happiest relationship we've been in.

People aren't black and white. Some folks cheat because they've found someone else, some folks cheat because they're insecure, and some cheat because of compulsion to fuck other people. The heartache is annulled when people are honest with each other.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
As a man who does not want to get married and has had an open relationship with 5 people at once all of whom knew this to be the case I still really hate people that cheat. I mean I would say I am rather progressive in the mindset of relationships, but this is less about relationships or even sex than it is honesty. When you say you will do something will you? If you are a cheater, no you clearly will not.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
Having done... something that could justifiably be considered cheating (and feeling like shit about it for years, and to this day), I can say; good on you if you end it on the spot.

I was dating a girl, online, for about... 2 years, I guess, from about age 14-16. She was in the states, and I never actually met her in person. Another girl online approached me once (again, never met her), and to not go into the ridiculously naive details of a young teenager, I bit in. I never told the girl I was dating, and it ended after that one... back and forth message.

I didn't think much of it for a long while; never knew the second girl, never cared about her. I thought of it as more like interactive masturbatory aid. But then I got to thinking: "If that's how I feel about her, what in the hell do I think of the girl I consider myself to be dating? Do I even love her, or am I just telling myself that?"

It may not have been physical in any sense of the word, but the worst elements of it were all there; passively using a woman, not telling the truth (I guess I never really lied, since I was never asked, but it's the same thing in the end), and not even having the stones to confess. I was young, but... I still find it hard to forgive myself. I've had guilt issues ever since, usually with stupid things I've said or sometimes did. I remember things that everyone's forgotten or forgiven, to which I can never do either. No repentance or apology has ever eased my conscience.

Add to that I still never told the girl I was dating. I was the one who eventually broke up with her. She was devastated, and I... just felt hollow.

Maybe I should end on a better note: I had a girlfriend after her, in real life, who I never did anything of the sort on (though she was skeptical about me not having prior physical relationships. Apparently I'm a natural at a couple things). She broke up with me after about three months, for a few reasons that we can agree to be equally responsible for. We're still friends.

I had a sort of fling with a girl a while after that break up. She just wanted a little fooling, but I barely got past the first day before I just called it off. Felt... weird.

And now I'm packing my bags for first year at university. God help me.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
1: Why stay in a relationship when you know someone is cheating?
I've not myself, but I personally believe the problem is that the person being cheated on may blame themselves for not being 'enough' for the other person; they stay with the cheater in order to try and 'do better' and be worthy of them.

2: Why do you have to suspend all reason in order to stay in the relationship?
...Is this rhetoric or an actual question?

3: If you break up because your significant other cheated on you is it ok to post every detail on the internet for all to see, including names?
No. Why would you even want to? My personal life is just that, personal.

A few of my previous relationships have ended because I discovered I was being cheated on and a few of my relationships which didn't end because of cheating ended because they dumped me for someone else. It made me feel pretty worthless and that I was more a 'stepping-stone' for other people's confidence than an actual relationship prospect of my own. Over time, I've come to realise that I can't blame myself for the actions of these women and that the fault wasn't mine. Regardless, I'm still very wary of being in a relationship and I much prefer the single life while I'm trying to get my career in order.

In all fairness, I've also slept with a couple of women who were in a relationship at the time and although I don't think I personally didn't betray anyone, I still felt so lousy that I got no enjoyment out of the act.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
BinDipper said:
The motivation behind the act doesn't directly matter, it is the act itself.
Why?

You can't have it both ways. It can't be all about betrayal and also purely the act itself, because betrayal isn't an act, it's the response to an act. Betrayal is the emotion you feel when someone else does something unexpected which personally hurts you, and a big part of that can be how you perceive the motivation. It's generally easier to forgive stupidity than malice.

BinDipper said:
What if your partner wasn't just sneaking off to bang someone? What if they were sneaking off to marry them without your knowledge? Or move out (if you live together) without your knowledge? What if you had made them aware there was one particular person they were not to bang but they were doing so and hiding it from you?
Okay, to break these questions down.

1) Obviously, how you feel about marriage is going to factor in here, but if you're in a non-monogamous relationship I think it's safe to assume that your understanding of marriage is probably different to that of most people. If we're talking literally here, I would be extremely confused. If what you're asking is how I would feel if my partner decided that another relationship was some kind of "primary" relationship. Well, I never understood myself as having a say in that, so while I might be disappointed on a personal level I don't see where the feeling of betrayal comes from.

2) Again, that's more a confusing scenario than a hurtful one. It raises a lot of questions, but I don't see why it would be particularly painful because I don't see why it would indicate any particular malice. Perhaps I have a unique perspective. My partner and I have both been renting in a major city since the start of our relationship, we've seldom lived in the same place for more than a year and quite a lot of the time we haven't lived together.

3) Okay. You're almost onto something. But at the end of the day, what would be painful is that my partner knows she could just say "no seriously, I really want to do that" and I'd have no choice but to say say "well, okay, I don't like it but it's your life and I understand you have needs". The closest thing to betrayal would be the choice, because it is a choice, not to just make clear that it's something really important. At the same time, shit happens.. honestly, literal response to that situation - I'd probably just ask that they try and keep it out of my face and leave it at that. I don't see what it accomplishes to go any further.

I know it's pretty hard to accept, because I used to be quite skeptical myself, but I really don't feel jealousy, or rather I feel like I understand why I ever got jealous well enough that I don't actually need to do so. Jealousy, I think, is what happens when you think you know someone, when you think you get someone completely and have some unique insight into them, and that turns out to be wrong - it turns out they have thoughts and desires which you didn't recognize or don't understand or which aren't about you. I don't see that as a problem though, I don't expect that I will ever truly understand my partner, but I understand enough that I can just leave the parts I don't understand be. They don't have to come back to me or hurt me because, at the end of the day, they were never about me to begin with.

That to me is an integral part of trust - accepting that you aren't always going to understand everything, you aren't always going to see where the "boundaries" are because the boundaries are negotiated between multiple people with different needs and priorities, but just being ready to accept it anyway.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
My two bits: It's not the sleeping around, it's the lies. If people want to swing, fine, but the people they're swinging with have a need to know since it could affect them in pretty profound ways. And just as people have a right to sleep around, people have a right /not/ to sleep with someone if they don't want to be a part of that.

If you have to lie to someone to get into or stay in their pants /you are wrong/, and /that/ is what /makes/ you wrong.

Not the sex.

The lies.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
As I have been through the classical "best friend and gf sexing", I will say no.

If people feel so horny that they simply must fuck someone else, then I might even be fine with it if they asked beforehand. But since I believe that sex between two people who are in a relationship is something special more than just "Insert Y into X to run Biological Satisfaction" I obviously felt hurt by the process. Afterwards I didn't trust her enough to bother with any sort of "relationship".

While it might be tempting to throw shit online about your cheating ex, as some form of "revenge" for the hurt he/she caused you, you should really ask yourself if you will morally be alright with it. I do personally feel that it would not accomplice much for my satisfaction.

Just poop in a bag and ejaculate over it and then throw it into his/her mailbox. Much more effective at getting the point across.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
KenAri said:
I've never been cheated on, but in the past I've made girls cheat on their boyfriends with me. Anybody want the villain's viewpoint?

I justified it completely. I've always held that 'if you want something badly enough, fight for it, no matter what's in your way' and that's what I did. In my eyes, if the woman decided to cheat, it meant her boyfriend wasn't fully satisfying her emotional needs and I'd be rescuing her from an non-fulfilling relationship. At least in my mind at the time.

I think that if a person ever falls for another while already in a relationship, it means their relationship isn't providing them with everything they need from a partner. For this reason, they should end it. If they don't, it's a lot harsher than actually cheating, because from this point on they would be essentially leading their current partner on with something they know isn't going to work. For the same reason, if a person is cheated on they should end things there and then, because for whatever reason, they aren't right for their partner.

Edit: Ermergerd, Grermer
After a while though, you do tent to feel like the villain. You get sucked into these situations.

I told myself I was helping them, getting them out of a bad way, because all they ever did, mind the term, was air their bad laundry around me. So, I was the white knight. Whisking them away from this terrible relationship with this disgusting man in a dirty, bug-infested apartment.

When you realize, however, it's not the case. Their tears aren't a sign of progress, that moment of silence where she stands on your deck with a smoke, looking out toward the trees, you begin to wonder. Th'Fuck am I getting myself into?

I read a writing on social media, "We don't want your hot wreck." (Sadly, I didn't favorite it.) And I realized that most of the girls I've been with, and even myself fit this profile quite closely. Most of my relationships ended poorly, even if the sex was amazing at first. I've kind of come across the point where I've decided that I want something with substance, with trust. But if I go into these things expecting her to immediately be distrustful, how can I build a relationship like that? I don't feel that I can. I need to get out of these situations. Get that badass smoker chick out of my head. (I still want my backpack back!!) I need to get away from the wrecks and addicts. (I'll be an alcoholic when I drink more than you toke.) and stop fucking around with the girls that breed distrust and breaks reason.

I'm not saying every single relationship I've been in have been like this. Some situations I've been in I've decided to break it off fairly quickly, or she'd decided to break it off quickly (With me being the bad guy, I fully admit it.)

As others have said, Relationships are built on trust. If you cannot trust the person your with over small things and honesty, how can you trust them with your body? It may be a bit different for me, cause, well... I like it when the ol' leather and chain get involved... (Looking for a Shibari model! :D) but I still feel the same even if you're not kinky. You're giving your body to the other person. This is not to be taken lightly.

I guess I strayed a bit from the OT, hunh? I guess I'm the enabler, so feel free to take your hate out on me too.