Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I am ecstatic to see the news returned to the front page, and the features too. While things look a little cluttered in the screenshot, I will wait to see what it is actually like when navigating the site. Also, the new header looks pretty slick. All in all, this is looking great. Might even get me to change the Escapist back to my homepage.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
imnotparanoid said:
Oh god just yesterday I thought 'Huh when this design first came I didn't like it, but its really grown on me, hopefuly it doesn't change and confuse me again though!'

But fortunately the changes all seem to be good, so I will let you off.
I forgot it changed.

I'm sure I'll forget again.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Thank you for removing the top news bar. Gah that thing made me feel stupid on a daily basis.

Also, for people who did not temporarily let their pub club expire or others who know about the layout, is it easier to navigate to groups now?

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
AzraelSteel said:
Nasrin said:
As far as I can see there are two Critical Miss episodes currently listed in the features area of the nav bar/header. Is it not appearing there for you?
What it was apparently is that the features tab of the navbar wasn't loading at all. It did after I flipped the navbar around 3 or 4 times, but none of the secondary tabs were loading originally. Maybe make the navbar changes load quicker? I wasn't aware it did that til you asked me the question and I checked around a bit.

Still, don't understand why features wouldn't load on the "Latest" tab in the first place. I understand that videos are probably more popular, but I don't see why both can't exist on the "Latest" tab and have more focus left in the individual category tabs.

Edit: Apparently, it's not all the tabs, but the very first time I try to load the features I get a blank tab. I have reproduced this several times, using Chrome, if it matters. Also, loading a different tab besides "Latest" first then loading the Features tab does not cause the bug.
I believe that Critical Miss will be appearing on the "Latest" tab. It just happens not to be on there at this moment.

As to your other comments, I'll let tech weigh in on that.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Ekit said:
I don't like the way you seem to push the forums more and more out of the spotlight. The awesome forums are what separates the Escapist from all other video game sites and I fear that this will harm the community in the long run.

EDIT: Other than that, I think it looks great! Really slick and easily navigated.
The forum box is still featured pretty high up on the page in every area of the site except the home page. The front page's job is to help you guys be aware of our content, so it makes sense for us to feature content higher up there.

monev44

Nov 9, 2010
Most of my Escapist browsing is done on my smartphone during random slow periods at work, and I do just have a bookmark to the main page and use that as the hub to whatever is new in all the categories.

I was very displeased when you changed to the current design of the site, and as time has passed... yeah I still hate it. So I'm actually looking forward to change. This new design looks to be several steps in the right direction.

One thing I would really like would be options for a darker color scheme that would be nicer to the battery of my phone.

And yes, I've been lurking for over 2 years.

Slowbear

Aug 4, 2011
forum list sould be up at the top
can you swap it with the thing about stuff picture

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
God Damn! I just got fully knowledgeable about the current layout since it changed! CUUUUUURSE YOOOOOU ESSSSCAAAAAPIST! (Meh, I'll just have to get adjusted again).

Edit: I'm not saying I won't give the new layout a shot, but it's just gonna be one of those "ugh, I find this mildly annoying for the first few days".

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Nope.

I'm still not convinced, looking at this from a usability perspective. Everything on that page screams for attention on the same level. There's no guidance, little direction and structure. It's just a mess of thumbnails with phrases now, I have no idea where to look for what. It needs way better grouping to begin with. And quite a bit more white space. That page looks incredibly cramped and honestly a good web design needs to breathe.

I wonder, do you guys do user testing? You could really do with some eye-tracking tests for starters.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Any chance you'll have a "Click this to use the new version now?" thing for people who aren't really concerned with the shock of a new website?

Once it is ready I mean.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm cool with the changes and am looking forward to the full redesign and upcoming tweaks and additions. Seriously, that's genuine; I liked what I saw in the video.

Jul 11, 2008
Unless update means a rollback to when the site design wasn't a clusterfrak of unnecessary clutter, running about as smoothly as a rhino trying to ice-skate I won't be particularly impressed.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
New layout

Interesting, more intuitive, considerably faster. I like it.
Thank You The Escapist crew. :]

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I DON'T LIKE CHANGE.

Seriously? Why did you change it? I mean besides the "fresh coat of paint"? Which is fair enough, really, but still. I'm scared.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
The columns look a little squashed together but I like how I can now see more news and feature articles on the main page, looks like it will be much easier to keep up to date with articles on the site. On the whole the new layout looks quite snazzy if I do say so myself.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The home page is ok but you guys need to work on the forum layout a bit, I tend not to use my browser full screen and on chrome it seems to want to be wider then I like it.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Why does the entirely useless header take up 1/3 of my browser window? Is this really necessary?