Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

Necabo

Jul 11, 2011
My only problem is that the scrolling big-ass bar on top doubles as the menu selection screen, making it a bit of an eye-gouging circus to hover your mouse towards say for example: reviews>previews.
Did I mention the top bar has latency issues for me; very annoying.

For me just making the menu selection independent from the 'live'-bar is all that would make it perfect.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I just got used to the old layout :/ This one seems alright, at least the list of every single article in chronological order is bigger now, and not buried under article links updated seemingly at random

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
Nasrin said:
Lord Krunk said:
It'll take a bit of getting used to, but I don't mind it.

My only major qualm is that the 'recent forum posts' on the main page are gone now. I liked being able to easily see if there were updates on certain RPs I frequent.
Are you sure?

I believe Lord Krunk means the box you get for the topics you recently replied in. The one that used to be near the top-right of the frontpage, if I remember correctly.

Also, I agree with what other people have said about the top banner being way too big. It takes up way too much of the screen and it makes the rest of the page feel really cluttered and squashed together.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
I quite like it. Especially now when my mouse accidentally hovers over something now it doesn't bring down a big bit that blocks what I was actually trying to click on. So good job guys =D
I very much so prefered the "big bit that blocks what you were actually trying to click on". I never, ever use the front page of the site or even the individual subsections. I go straight to my profile to check for new messages since the previous day, and then I use the dropdown menus at the top of the page to load the new news stories and videos and stuff in new tabs and close them as I read them. Or at least I used to until today when the navigation bar at the top became both twice as big and a tenth as useful. The front page of the site does look a lot nicer and more usable than the previous version was, but it's not really my preferred way of using this site (or almost any site, for that matter), so that doesn't do much for me.

Edit: It is possible to accomplish most of what I want with the new front page in a bit of a different way though, which is a big improvement over the old front page, so I can live with that.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I'm so sorry, I really didn't want to be one of those people who complains about the new thing but... I really, really don't like it. Also I must be about the only person in the world who really liked the previous layout :/

I mean, what is the obscenely large header thing all about? Sure, it's quite pretty and glossy and everything in and of itself, but as the header of a webpage? Looks like an enormous ad. I think it's just too big, it could be at least 50% smaller and still work fine. Plus then I wouldn't have to scroll down to look at anything else...

...Speaking of which, again I'm sorry but it just looks like a complete mess to me. I completely agree with whoever said it looks like there are multiple designs going on at once, it's just all over the place. "Clusterfuck" is the word, methinks :(

Don't get me wrong, as I said about the header the constituent parts all looks very nice*, but it just doesn't fit together at all.

*[small]Except the drop-down profile bit. That looks like arse.[/small]

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I like it much better than the last one. I can actually see what articles are about and it doesn't burn my eyes.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I just checked and my first thought was "The CSS is broken".

I'll have to spend more time with it, but my knee-jerk reaction is not a positive one. The home page feels more like a mess, and while I admire making the latest features and such more prominent, I don't like them taking up a huge portion of the page before I can get to see a larger feed of content.

My feelings may change over time, but at the moment, I feel like too much screen space is being used by the new features when it doesn't need to be.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
Userman57 said:
Is there a way I can change the new default font? I am having a hard time reading the articles.
It's the thing at the top right of the article that looks like a capital and lowercase A side-by-side.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Userman57 said:
Is there a way I can change the new default font? I am having a hard time reading the articles.
On the top right of article titles you should see an Aa, like this:

Hover over it and you'll see a drop down menu of fonts and sizes.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Well, the new layout is certainly... whiter? I used to be able to just scroll down through the "News" pages to view all site content. Now, I need to click across multiple different tabs, none of which seem to load correctly on my iPad the first couple of times I tap the link.

I hate being negative, but I'm not certain how the new layout constitutes a huge improvement. Or any improvement at all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If you're looking for feedback here's my-

You got to make the Forum button more noticeable. Why not have it with the other subheader titles (News, features etc) or have a forum box area in the front page like with the Article and news etc.

The main header (top part of the page) is abit big but this is more of an nitpick.

Put back the groups icon(s) near the Avatar since there's no longer a way to tell which groups is updated other than manuelly checking each group pages.

Other than that the new look is fine by me unlike some others (nothing stay the same forever).

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Hi there! Thanks very much for your feedback and I hope that I can address a few of your questions today...

Scarim Coral said:
or have a forum box area in the front page like with the Article and news etc.

Put back the groups icon(s) near the Avatar since there's no longer a way to tell which groups is updated other than manuelly checking each group pages

I hope those tools work for you. We've made the forum posts pretty front and center on the home page, and you can access that user drop down menu from other areas of the site as well.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Blarg. Okay, Escapist, I'll give it a shot. At least it doesn't look like you're trying to hide all the news stories anymore.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Perhaps I am just resistant to change, but the new front end is difficult to navigate. Particularly the top is noisy and keeps me from finding the articles I am interested in.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Layout looks good except for the MASSIVE box at the top. It just takes up too much space without conveying enough useful information. Huge space waster.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
What is up with you guys and white? At least it's not as blinding as last time but the header doesn't even look like it's part of the site. It's completely disconnected since it's monochrome while the forums still have the blue and grey theme. Not to mention when the background on the sides when it goes from white to blue to black with little to no transition. Also the homepage looks fine with the drop down menu, but on the forums there is a white gradient bar that just adds to the bloated header and clunky transition.

Also you need to not have the drop down menus cover up other buttons, it's annoying if you slide your mouse over them on the way to the other button (like going over to your inbox and scrolling over the forums on the way) and you either click the wrong thing or have to wiggle your mouse away and back to get to it.