Cooking Mama: The PETA Version

oneofm4ny

May 27, 2007
Hunde Des Krieg said:
but nature is far more cruel, lions slowly choking their prey to death...
No they don't:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1cHVyaIZuM
;)

Butchering the turkey was far more fun than preparing tofu in the bonus level. I don't think that PETA intended that *g*

I don't think they will get sued for copyright infringement. As far as I know parodies are protected as free speech. Not sure about it.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
cleverlymadeup said:
as was said watch the peta episode of bullshit
I did, and it was a good laugh. PETA certainly appears to be more "extreme fringe" than I previously thought; I knew there was some crossover with the ALF and other individuals and groups that condone violence in the name of animal rights, but I had no idea it was so pervasive. And learning that PETA endorses euthanizing animals rather than having them in captivity, regardless of the nature of that captivity, was eye-opening.

But my original statement still stands: Generally speaking, I do support a lot of what PETA is trying to accomplish. Not that "total liberation for all animals" bullshit (to borrow a term) but the decent, humane treatment of animals, including food animals. Some animals - chickens, cows, pigs - are bred for food, that's just the way it goes, but I think we could do a better job of handling them than we do now. Just because an animal is being raised as food doesn't mean it needs to suffer a miserable life and horrible death.

Do I support PETA's methods? Obviously not. But as far as the desire for a greater overall respect for animals of all stripes goes, I can go with that.

(Perhaps I do go to the extreme in some ways. Unlike Penn and Teller, I would happily kill every street junkie with AIDS in the world, with my bare hands, if it meant saving the bonobos or mountain gorillas. Well, maybe not all of them, but at least a hundred or so.)

I find Virgil's point interesting too, and accurate. For a cheap attention-whoring Flash game, Mama Kills Animals is really quite well done. There's been some real thought and effort put into it, especially compared to other, similar efforts by agencies you'd think could do better. Check out some of the UN's minigame about feeding refugees as an example; it doesn't have anywhere near the depth or production quality of MKA. (Going to have to Google it for yourself, though.) PETA obviously understands the value of a quality PR campaign.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I have this sudden craving for turducken [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken]... even though I've never had it before. Thanks, PETA!

-- Steve

Feb 13, 2008
Malygris said:
But my original statement still stands: Generally speaking, I do support a lot of what PETA is trying to accomplish. Not that "total liberation for all animals" bullshit (to borrow a term) but the decent, humane treatment of animals, including food animals. Some animals - chickens, cows, pigs - are bred for food, that's just the way it goes, but I think we could do a better job of handling them than we do now. Just because an animal is being raised as food doesn't mean it needs to suffer a miserable life and horrible death.
I support a lot of what the NSPCC, RSPCA, Amnesty etc. do and what they aim for; but my main criticism is a lot of the methods they use; and as a subsidiary concern, some of the half-hearted hypocrites that say they're saving the world when they're actually doing as much harm.

As for PETA, given that the greatest minds can't determine what Ethics for a human, never mind an animal are; you have to first question what they're actually wanting to achieve and secondly, how feeding a cat/dog vegetarian food isn't infringing on their rights....

Simski

Aug 17, 2008
That was pretty funny... although the game got dull once I didn't get to do the bloody things anymore :(

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Grrr. I hate PETA. I was so mad after playing this that I had to go out and smoke...a ham....out of spite. PETA not only wants zoo animals released into the wild, they also do not want people to have pets. Yeah, pets. So next time you pet owners feel like donating, save the money and buy filet mignon.

But I'm willing to make peace with PETA. I believe that there is a place for all God's creatures on this Earth....usually next to the mashed potatoes.

I3uster

Nov 16, 2008
You cant comapre the ALF to PETA.
Its like comparing Duke Nukem (ALF) to Raiden from MGS2 (PETA)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
thebobmaster said:
I3uster said:
Except Raiden has never funded Duke Nukem.
Maybe if he had we'd have Forever out by now ;/

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I was happy to ignore them and let them do their thing, but these days they disgust me. It's the double standards where to kill turkeys or whatever is bad, but letting animals live in zoos is <color=indigo>as bad and they should be killed rather than be tainted by humans. Idiots.

Cyclomega

Jul 28, 2008
irishdelinquent said:
Grrr. I hate PETA. I was so mad after playing this that I had to go out and smoke...a ham....out of spite. PETA not only wants zoo animals released into the wild, they also do not want people to have pets. Yeah, pets. So next time you pet owners feel like donating, save the money and buy filet mignon.

But I'm willing to make peace with PETA. I believe that there is a place for all God's creatures on this Earth....usually next to the mashed potatoes.
I rescued a pregnant cat from dying of hunger in the streets, ergo I am worse than Hitler, even though now she is all cuddles and purrs and she and her daughter are the cleanest little furrballs I have ever met...

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I3uster said:
Hey! Be nice, I like Raiden. He aint no hippy idiot.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I had roast beef for lunch; tonight there's a nice 3/4" sirloin in the fridge ready. (Pan fried (as I don't have a grill) in Montreal Steak Spice to medium rare doneness, with baked potato and butter, steamed broccoli, and kernal corn. Mmmmm...)

Next on my list, donate money to the nearest helper animal charity or pet shelter. Suck it, PETA.

-- Steve

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Oh I can only hope that PETA is dragged into a lawsuit by Nintendo and that they are crushed by Nintendo's legal team. I would play this game but I'm worried I would actually be helping PETA and I don't want to do that.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
I think the solution is clear. Eat PETA.
This, oh so much this.

Either that or get a wild animal to eat PETA.

I had a ham sandwich while playing the game, wasn't phased, but it seems sort of odd that putting meat in the oven gave the turkey boils, but it's PETA, I didn't expect them to do any research beforehand.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
the monopoly guy said:
PETA doesn't do they're own protests, they pay college kids to do it.
Seems like an easy way to make a bit of extra cash as a college kid to me. Take the offer, spend five minutes at the protest site with a sign and then excuse yourself to attend a previously arranged engagement.

Feb 13, 2008
Well, let's just say that PETA are keeping their message straight.

I just mailed Majesco as a friend of mine.

Bonus points to who appeared on Steam just as I took a screenshot.