Crysis 2 Will Have the "Best Graphics Ever"

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008

TRANSLATION: "It'll take years to afford the hardware to make our second poorly programed graphics engine look it's best unless you have a couple grand for an upgrade... again"

Saying a game is made for hardware doesn't exist yet is a really poor selling point. If it's going to run better on future hardware, they can wait for my future money.

Also, they're notorious for "bullshots". Remember this before crysis was release?

blackjaw1

Nov 5, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
"Crysis 2 will have the best graphics possible."

I think that is a lot more accurate. When will developers learn the majority of "true" gamers don't care about "best graphics" if it hinders the product, which in this case, is impossible seeing as:

1) It is an FPS, and the majority of them don't have involving stories, though there are some exceptions...

2) Based on Crysis, the second game will almost certainly not have an involving or somewhat intelligent story.
Then again I don't think that was ever really the selling point of Crysis. It was gorgeous and you shot at things and those things fell over dead.

Honestly, I'm not surprised by that claim at all. That's all Crytek has ever done with their games.

LoopyDood said:
I don't understand why Crysis was almost universally criticized for lackluster gameplay, yet Call of Duty 4, which was released in around the same timeframe, was praised in droves for excellent gameplay.

Personally I enjoyed Crysis, which had a (relatively) free roaming, "stealth or explosions, up to you" style of gameplay and excellent on-the-fly gun customization mechanic wrapped up in the best (and still some of the best) graphics available more than the glorified rail shooter that was CoD4.

Makes me think that most of the people criticizing Crysis for poor gameplay have never played it and are doing so simply to take it off it's pedestal.
Crysis IS good. It wasn't amazing and didn't do anything particularly innovative besides being insanely gorgeous, but I found the gun play to be very fun and functional. I think Crysis is much better than CoD 4 (which was probably one of the most boring and linear FPS games I've ever played as far as single player goes), but Crysis was mostly amazing when viewed from a tech stand point.

It's like watching a standard action movie. If you turn off your brain it's pretty fun. The story is awful, but it's not really supposed to be good. Hell, CoD4 has one of the worst stories I've encountered in a game but people still love it. I think part of the problem with Crysis and its negative reception from some in the community is you need a hell of a computer to run it still.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Why would anyone not want to play a game with the best graphics they have ever seen, great gameplay, some engaging fiction, challenging AI, killer weaponry and a complete gaming experience like no other?"
You mean like Cheetamen 2, right?

But yeah, that's really bold.

digitaLbraVo

Jan 7, 2010
Nurb said:

TRANSLATION: "It'll take years to afford the hardware to make our second poorly programed graphics engine look it's best unless you have a couple grand for an upgrade... again"

Saying a game is made for hardware doesn't exist yet is a really poor selling point. If it's going to run better on future hardware, they can wait for my future money.
All too true.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Crytek says Crysis 2 will have the best graphics ever. Absolutely no one is surprised.

Crysis had the best graphics ever. Crysis had the best graphics ever for a good 4 years or so before being MATCHED. Then it was Farcry 2. Crysis 2 will just follow the obvious path.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
The original Crysis also had the best graphics ever, and despite being able to run the game at (almost) it's maximum graphical settings with a great frame rate, I still found the game stale and boring, mediocre at best.

It's was a classic example of style over substance.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
ZeroDotZero said:
MiracleOfSound said:
ZeroDotZero said:
I stand against them!

Borderlands has the best graphics ever!
They sure are pretty.

Especially in the Armoury DLC. T-Bone junction is stunning looking.
Definately! In T-Bone, the light is so powerful the shadows just look immense. The DLC just blew me away completely.
Me too, although I haven't been able to motivate myself to do the final three missions after the ending for some reason.

Too much goddamn driving!

EDIT:

And the loot was overhyped... I found nothing better than my level 37 hellfire SMG

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Nurb said:
Imo it's a great selling point. It adds replayability value as I can play the game now with medium settings, and again with higher settings when I upgrade my PC in 2-3 years.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
That's a pretty ballsy statement there, Camarillo.

However, I refuse to acknowledge it seriously until some gameplay has been shown.

ElegantSwordsman

Jun 17, 2008
I'd be a lot more impressed if they announced that Crysis will have the most reasonable requirements to run that anyone has ever seen.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
For a console, quite probable, there have been plenty of games that look good, but game play wise have been totally pathetic, will this have both good game play and top notch graphics...we will see, Crysis went downhill once you were fighting alien squid thingies (it was miles better while you were still toying with human adversaries).

I don't doubt his claim when it comes to the PC version, but the leading consoles are heading towards 5+ years old, what are going to see that hasn't been done in the last five years of technology.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Great, but will it only be the best graphics ever on a top of the line PC? (Probably)

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Mazty said:
Proteus214 said:
Let's see some HD gameplay footage and see if their claims will hold up. Until then, it's a bunch of hot air.
Check out their latest trailer with procedural destruction, deferred lighting etc. Is easily the best looking game out there and I hope it's DX11 ready.
Link? All I can find are fakes.