Crysis 2 Writer Calls Modern Warfare 2 a Disappointment

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
I think Modern Warfare 2's story put a frowny face on everyone who played the game for longer than ten minutes.

RidleyValiant

White Knight
Nov 12, 2007
Wait wait wait ... Modern Warfare 2 had a single player campaign? Wonders never cease

I must have missed it .... oh, unless it was that 5 hour badly written shite that I barely had the willpower to make it through.

The games only redeeming feature is that it has a reasonable multiplayer, that any inept moron can play because if he can't shoot, hey stick a noobtube on your gun and use danger close, or better yet the wonderful combitnation of marathon, lightweight, commando. Heaven forbid these people actually try using bullets.

Thinking about it I'm not sure that even that is a redeeming feature

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
The thing about Modern Warfare 2 is that the dev team turned it into an action movie. It wasn't a bad choice IMO, but the story telling was a complete mess. I do want to see how it ends in Modern Warfare 3 though.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Crysis 2 Writer Calls Modern Warfare 2 a Disappointment
ay too impressed with themselves and that's always a danger. It's just unfortunate."

The world doesn't seem to have the same opinion as Morgan, or care as much, considering how people have already played Modern Warfare 2 for 200,000 years [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99811-Modern-Warfare-2-Players-Log-200-000-Gameplay-Years] on Xbox Live alone up to this point. It's always nice to see a dissenting opinion of a game that is so popular, but it's a little harder to accept from someone working on a competing product.

Multiplayer has a story?

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
I hope he realizes he's setting himself up; by saying that, he's inadvertently declaring that Crysis 2 will have superior writing by defeault--and if it doesn't, he'll be choking on his words.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Mazty said:
Starke said:
Mazty said:
How can people really disagree with MW2 having a bad storyline? Facts are it makes no sense and is implausible....Not really any room for debate as the article suggests.
The same way people laud Bioware, without really offering any concrete defenses. I've got a theory, but I've never actually tested it. The idea is, people are more committed, and thus, more willing to defend, the stories in games because of the effort required in experiencing them. The player, at some level is more likely to sympathize with their game protagonist because they've (sort of) shared some of their experiences.
To be honest it's much more simple than that with MW2.
Fact is there is no logical link between the bullet manufacturer and a terrorist leader. Plus there is no logical link between killing special forces soldiers to get more recruits into the army.
The storyline is just an incoherent mess. At least with Mass Effect you have to look deeper into the story to scrutinize it instead of being able to reason the story makes no sense.
In the interests of full disclosure: I haven't gotten around to MW2 yet. Call of Duty isn't a franchise I've got much of any loyalty to. Hell, I didn't even play the original Modern Warfare until Steam had it marked down to $10 or $7.50 or so.

So, yes, I am being slightly sloppy as an analyst, in that I haven't done the research, but...

Where I'm going with this is, your second line has me completely confused.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
dbrose said:
I hope he realizes he's setting himself up; by saying that, he's inadvertently declaring that Crysis 2 will have superior writing by default--and if it doesn't, he'll be choking on his words.
Fish. Barrel.

On one hand, it's a pretty safe bet, because he's, you know, a writer. And the Writers of Modern Warfare 2 are, you know, not (with one questionable exception).

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Mazty said:
Starke said:
Mazty said:
Starke said:
Mazty said:
How can people really disagree with MW2 having a bad storyline? Facts are it makes no sense and is implausible....Not really any room for debate as the article suggests.
The same way people laud Bioware, without really offering any concrete defenses. I've got a theory, but I've never actually tested it. The idea is, people are more committed, and thus, more willing to defend, the stories in games because of the effort required in experiencing them. The player, at some level is more likely to sympathize with their game protagonist because they've (sort of) shared some of their experiences.
To be honest it's much more simple than that with MW2.
Fact is there is no logical link between the bullet manufacturer and a terrorist leader. Plus there is no logical link between killing special forces soldiers to get more recruits into the army.
The storyline is just an incoherent mess. At least with Mass Effect you have to look deeper into the story to scrutinize it instead of being able to reason the story makes no sense.
In the interests of full disclosure: I haven't gotten around to MW2 yet. Call of Duty isn't a franchise I've got much of any loyalty to. Hell, I didn't even play the original Modern Warfare until Steam had it marked down to $10 or $7.50 or so.

So, yes, I am being slightly sloppy as an analyst, in that I haven't done the research, but...

Where I'm going with this is, your second line has me completely confused.
Ah it's to do with storyline so I'll quickly elaborate.
Basically a central plot device is that the terrorists who massacre civvies in an airport and linked to a dealer through where the bullets were made, and it turns out the guy who sold the bullets knows loads about the terrorists etc.
In reality, a weapon supplier knows nothing, nor cares about the customer. To have it that the supplier is "bestest buddies" with the terrorists, and knows the terrorist leaders weakness is nothing more than a pathetic plot device.
Thanks, I was afraid the answer would be something like that... My brain meats hurt now. :(

And the second part of your earlier statement was about the American General who was working to try to promote a war between the US and Russia by allowing the attack to take place?

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
Well the reason the game sold so well was mainly for the multi-player. I reckon they could have cut out the campaign and focused on the multi-player and everything would have sold just as well. If you bought MW2 for the single-player, you're a fool. I know every game should have a decent single-player component unless it opts to be a multi-player only game, but MW2's single-player was just overall disappointing.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Irridium said:
"Son, I am dissapoint..."

That pretty much sums up my feelings of the campaign.
It did have its moments, but as a story, it wasn't that great.

Spec-Ops was fun though.
I agree, the story was a bit of a let down but it just stung together the action movie istic parts. Like falling off the cliff or driving into the plane.

and spec ops was fun. Even if High Explosion was really really tough on Vet.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
Crysis wasn't exactly a masterpiece of storytelling either, and even if this guy didn't had anything to do with the first game, the premise of an alien invasion seen within an American city isn't really striking home with the gold medal.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
*shrug* The man's a professional in the field, he'd have a clear view of things. And from what I've been hearing CoD's multiplayer is like crack, bad but too addictive to get rid of, hence there's no correlation between the 200000 years bit and how (bad) quality the singleplayer is

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Well he must remember, Call of Duty as a franchise is mostly multiplayer based with the first couple of games having a very strong single player mode. Now it's focusing on multiplayer. The only reason they probably had a single player to begin with was to cash in on the controversy thing that Mass Effect did by accident.

But an another note, goodness is that screen shot beautiful... Crysis 2 is so pretty I can't even describe it...

karpiel

Apr 18, 2008
Corohan said:
Crysis wasn't exactly a masterpiece of storytelling either, and even if this guy didn't had anything to do with the first game, the premise of an alien invasion seen within an American city isn't really striking home with the gold medal.
Pretty much this. I like how crytek only took two games to complete a 180 from doing fun, original games that had a sense of humor about themselves to making what is going to be one of the most dismal, generic shooters ever.